Why are we Diamond?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Punki, Sep 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have only 24 stays YTD and were not Diamond last year. All of a sudden, when I look at my account it says we are "Diamond". In talking to the Hhonors office, they confirm that we are currently Diamond through 2016.

What's up with that. I am not complaining, but......................

2. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many nights and how many base points do you have YTD?

Gargoyle and Kalboz like this.
  3. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not enough for Diamond, and surely not enough for Diamond through 2016.

Gargoyle and Kalboz like this.
  4. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't heard of the multi-year thing, but I believe that another way to qualify is 100,000 base points in a year. So if you stay in more expensive cities or rooms, you may qualify more quickly.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just re-qualified for Diamond a week or so ago after "just" 10 stays, so that 24 stays should be plenty to enable you to reach Diamond, depending on the types of properties at which you stayed during this period. The status to 2016 is a bigger puzzle, but we'd need more info to be able to say "what's up with that"....

That is my situation EXACTLY. I just reached 103K HH points after my 10th stay at Hilton Buenos Aires recently.

OceanBreezes and Kalboz like this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously a visit from the status fairy.

[​IMG]

afakhori, uggboy, paladin87 and 12 others like this.
  7. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where do you see your status being through 2016?

Kalboz likes this.
  8. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a offer late last year to move up from Gold to Diamond and did it.

This year, I'm solidly back at gold. Doubt I'll get a bump up to diamond.

Honestly, I really can't tell much difference between Gold and Diamond, but I guess I do like the Diamond card better than the gold one :)

OceanBreezes likes this.
  9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh, yeah, there are now huge differences between Golds and Diamonds: upgrades to better rooms that almost always happen and now also include suites, reserved inventory of standard awards, "Diamond Force", access to exec lounge even when one is not upgraded...

OceanBreezes, Kalboz and newbluesea like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh boy here we go again with the "Gold is no different from Diamond" refrain with a little bit of rationalization sprinkled in .. perhaps you didnt stay in enough (or in the right properties) were the difference is quite noticable.

There are at least three other reasons/ways one can attain HH Diamond not listed in this thread so far.:)

Kalboz likes this.
  11. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't gotten 1 suite upgrade as a diamond this year, not one.

Last past couple of weeks I stayed at PHX Hilton, no upgrade at all. Last weekend I stayed at Charlotte Hilton and asked about a upgrade and didn't even get a room on the executive floor.

Stayed at two different HGIs in DC -- one got a upgrade to a better room. HGI in Nashville had to ask for a upgraded room -- didn't give me one as a default.

Stayed a Hilton Hawaiian Village in January, got a horrible room with no view and had to go to the manager on duty's desk in the lobby to get a better room -- because the desk agents said "they couldn't do anything". -- I finally got a partial ocean view room, but it literally took me an additional 3 hours for that.

Had a bunch of stays at Logan Airport Hilton, and have gotten Executive floor but nothing else -- but that was generally the same experience I got as a gold prior.

So yes, from my perspective staying in Hilton properties, I haven't noticed any real difference between Gold and Diamond.

Last year staying when I was gold, I stayed at Hilton Southlake Tx (more than 1 time), as a gold I got a upgrade to a suite. Which was nice, but I was gold and not diamond. Stayed there three times in 2011 and got upgraded rooms each time as gold. (Junior suites first two time, then a corner suite the last trip I did there).

I have two foreseeable reservations at Hilton the next two months (maybe more, but these are already booked), 1 in Burlington VT and 1 in Mainz, Germany -- maybe I will be wowed at a upgrade to a suite. That would be really nice.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you paid with an Amex card, there were offers that got diamond for few stays. With the Centurion card it only required two stays in the year for diamond status.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  13. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    We have an AMEX black card, but I think that the reason we were given Diamond through 2016 is because of a deal Hilton has going that gives three years of Diamond status to anyone who has been Diamond 8 out of the past ten years, which we have.

Let's hope they keep that perk going.

OceanBreezes, Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  14. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I did say perhaps you might be staying at the wrong properties.:)
    May domestic Hiltons (like have HGIs) havent even got suites or rooms which are much different from the standard
    rooms so not much to upgrade there.

Whille I have expessed my opinion on the topic too many time to remember all can I have gotten wonderful (too many to list again here ) suites/upgrades in European and Asian Hiltons.
    One other point is that It is quite evident that some properties are now restricting access for Golds to Executive lounge ( and I cant say I oppose that trend) if not staying on the executive floor.

Another facet of the discussion which seems to be ignored here (except for NYCUAIK) is that as far as awards go HH provides more inventory and special awards to Diamonds.

OceanBreezes, Kalboz, NYCUA1K and 2 others like this.
  15. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I've been at the wrong properties:)

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the Hilton program, I actually really like Hilton properties. WAY WAY Better than what I got as a Plat at Marriott for sure.

I just haven't seen the upgrades that much.

I know my biz travel has been a bit less this year, so unless a miracle happens, I'll be down to Gold next year -- unless HH offers me some last minute way to retain diamond. Next year I should have more International travel.

marcwint55 and newbluesea like this.
  16. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where on the website do you see it until 2016?

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

Chimpy and marcwint55 like this.
  17. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only way to "see" status is on the Diamond card HH sends you.
    BTW the extended Diamond status is awarded to members who have been Diamond for ten years, this benefit has existed for some time now.

OceanBreezes, Kalboz, jparker and 2 others like this.
  18. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Regarding 'seeing' that is what I thought. Regarding extended diamond, hmmm I may hit 10 years soon. Shall be interesting to see what happens.

Thanks for the information.

(Posted from my milepoint enabled iPhone)

Chimpy, mtlfire and marcwint55 like this.
  19. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll start.

Your turn. ;)

lin821, Chimpy and SC Flier like this.
  20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fully agree with the above. The location of the properties is a factor. HH Diamond status is worth its full weight and then some overseas. I no longer bother asking for upgrades while in Asia because every time I have been handed a room key it's been to an upgraded room. As for suites, I have had 5 stays since the perk was introduced and I have gotten a suite upgrade 3/5 times. One time that failed was lack of availability, which I confirmed by doing a dummy booking and the other time (Hilton Prague), they just did not want to do it. Successes were at Hilton Melbourne (automatically), Hilton Beijing Wangfujing (automatically) and Hilton Buenos Aires (requested from an already assigned premium room upgrade) a week and half ago...

It seems that people will have difference experiences but there is no doubt there is now a big difference between perks that are available for golds and diamonds, which is fully apparent to those of us who travel mostly internationally...

Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  21. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Four that comes quite readily to hand.... I am sure there are more:) .
    a) One has been subsequently listed by the OP .. there are number of high end credit/membership cards which give Diamond automatically.
    b) Spend 40k annually on the HH Amex Surpass card ( and now the new Citi HH card)
    c) Owner of Hilton Resorts timeshares.
    d) Be part of a management group which owns a Hilton hotel ( I have friend who has top teir in both HH and ICH)

Kalboz and ACMM like this.
  22. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    ACMM writes:

While I can see my status on my account, the duration of that status was given me by the Diamond Desk over the phone. I had to speak with them again today about a missing stay and asked how I got the status. They said that it was a special "legacy" award, whatever that means.

I don't even have a Diamond card.

jparker and ACMM like this.
  23. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    mht_flyer: This is not to beat up on you.:) I am just using your post to illustrate the point that there are tangible differences between HH Diamonds and HH Golds. I just spent the afternoon booking reward stays for my annual year-end Asian escapade, where I will spend 14 days at various Hilton properties, all by redeeming HH points. The properties that I wound up with are Conrad Hong Kong, Hilton Shanghai, Hilton Singapore and Conrad Millennium Bangkok, and staying 14 days combined at all those fine establishments has cost me just under 500K HH points. So "cheap"; how is that possible? Simply put, it is because of one the true perks that was established when most standard room rewards were converted to premium room rewards and, thus, became unaffordable for everyone but Diamonds. Look at the picture below showing part of the availability for Conrad Hong Kong to see what I mean. The prices are in USD, so that you'd have to be rich to stay there using hard currency! But as a HH Diamond, I found standard room rewards for just 40K HH points/night, which is a steal, and they are available only if you are a Diamond (shows up as DIA STANDARD RM RW). I found such Diamond-only standard rewards at just about every property where I checked (including 46K HH/night at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai, where I stayed last year but will stay at the Hilton instead because it was even cheaper...32K HH points/night). After I booked, I got emails from each of the 4 properties that contained a link for me to request upgrades from $0 USD, but I will be sure to ask for a suite upon arrival and I like my chances....

The full text beside the 40K reward in the picture says: "This is a benefit for Diamond members to bypass length of stay restrictions to reserve a room using HHonors points for a standard room."

CONRAD-HKG.png

Sean Colahan, Mikus33, desamo and 2 others like this.
  24. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a Jr Suite upgrade as a gold just last weekend.

guberif and mht_flyer like this.
  25. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice, my last really good upgrade was last year at the Southlake TX Hilton, got a huge suite... I was gold at that point.

Hopefully I will get some better rooms later this month in SFO and next month in Burlington VT.