Why are UA metal flights so ridiculously expensive?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Punki, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am trying to book revenue flights to NYC and use up our last upgrades, but am finding that the flights on UA metal, making connections, are twice as expensive as the Continental direct flights, which, of course, I can't upgrade at the time of booking. :(

We may just end up using awards and giving away a bunch of upgrades.

2. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    IME a lot of UA's fares have recently changed such that the lowest ones are only valid for non-stop travel, even when there is a perfectly logical connection option (i.e. via a hub that doesn't add many if any miles to the trip). Sucks.

3. Chic Silber
    Original Member

Chic Silber Silver Member

Status Points:
    By "direct" I believe you mean "nonstop" which has a VERY different definition

4. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am seeing higher prices too. I typically fly the same routes over and over again, almost all on United. They are killing me this year. I did an (un)scientific survey of airline ticket prices in my blog post just last night. Airlines are of course blaming these hike of fuel prices. Does anyone else have any price comparisons.

Question, it seems that UA is penalizing non-direct flights in favor of direct. Do they do the same for 1-way over round trip?

5. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    For awhile BA/AA were handing UA their.. umm... rudder.. on fares out of DEN. That has changed every so slightly now to just be on routes to OW hubs, but for awhile you could fly DEN-FRA cheaper on BA than on UA/CO/LH [​IMG]. Even domestic and semi-international (Canada) flights were cheaper going to the other alliances. Not a good move on the part of UA/CO. Especially with the growing competition in DEN for fliers.

6. nomflyer
    Original Member

nomflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  7. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was reported in another thread that flyers weren't having trouble upgrading CO flights when booked as codeshares. Not my personal experience... I have none.

8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I just broke down and booked first-class saver award seats on AA. Now I don't have to worry about it. I am sure I will have some certs to give away, or maybe trade. Can we trade stuff?

9. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know Randy said you could gift, but I don't know about trade. You do it within the airline forum right now.

10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was pricing flights from SEA-NYC for mid-April (>30 days out) and UA connections were coming up 50-100% higher than the 3 CO SEA-EWR non-stops. It's implausible to me that UA has such higher load factors this far out. Maybe the UACO revenue management is pushing pax to non-stops, which should be cheaper cost-wise for the airline, so they can also sell the individual segments in other markets.
    I guess it's time to figure out how to optimize my UG chances on CO since SEA-EWR is a tough upgrade and I don't like CO's coach seats.

11. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just looking at some flights YVR FRA YVR Dec 14 to Dec 31, UA wanted $500.00 more than BA. Why would anyone in their right mind book UA?

12. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last few months pricing between UA and CO has been weird. You should check if you get better UA pricing on the CO website, I've done it the other way round last year several times...

I'd see about using miles from a CO account, I do think that's the best bet, but no guarantees...