Why are seat picking tools inconsistent between KLM and Delta?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sunny_sc, Jul 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking at choosing seats on a Delta flight (code shared with KLM) and Delta shows nearly no available AB/HJ seats together, but KLM shows plenty. Can I call Delta to ask for the seats I see empty on the KLM website?

Also, for Delta 223, the Delta site is showing a 2-3-2 configuration, while the KLM site is showing a 2-4-2 configuration. Are the seats that I've picked going to be honored?

Thanks in advance!

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked today, and DL 223 is a 767 = 2-3-2 seating. If it is a A330 the day you are flying, it is 2-4-2 configuration. I'd think DL would be right...but with the IT bugs, the possibility of an issue always exists.

You can always call and ask about open seats...not sure what day you are flying or your status which would affect your options.

:)robin

sunny_sc and jbcarioca like this.
  3. I had this issue flying to Mexico on Delta. I was traveling with a colleague that didn't have status and on-lime Delta showed flight as only having center seats available, but when I logged in to select my seats, I saw plenty of window and aisle seats. Called delta, and she explained that Delta holds seats when the reservation is made, but they are not guaranteed, so you can get bumped if someone with significant status comes along. Since I have status, I have more available options for seats, but my colleague doesn't. Delta rep not very helpful, so we just changed flights for return with more capacity the evening before departure. If you have options, it is sometimes worth looking at the available flights the night before departure. You may find more opportunity for upgrade, and the change fee is minimal. I was charged no change fee (Gold Status) and my colleague was only charged $25 (No Status).

4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Keep in mind TATL/International (not North America) change fees are much higher than $0/$25.

5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    When calling from NA keep in mind that a single call center process serves AF/KL/DL. Lately the systems glitches and equipment changes have had a few more issues than usual, it seems. IME telephone calls have sorted the issues in short order. YMMV, as always.

sunny_sc and rwoman like this.
  6. sunny_sc
    Original Member

sunny_sc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the helpful information!