Why are IHG hotels so expensive?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by MrAOK, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    This weekend in DC, a Sheraton at Dulles was $55. I could do a similar stay at Marriott Courtyard for the same price, but IHG hotels were all starting at $10 more (unless you use the Entertainment card).

It just seems IHG isn't being competitive

2. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every area is different and each hotel has different demands. If that were true across all geographic areas, then I'd agree but in this case it could be as simple as the IHG properties (like the Crowne Plaza) have the airline relationships and have guaranteed enough of their rooms to hold firm on their pricing. Just a thought .

Also for your comparison, the Hyatt Places in the area are rarely if ever that low.

3. jpdx

jpdx Active Member

Status Points:
    Seems like a sweeping statement. Imo, it depends on the hotel type and location. I would argue that ICs are often much cheaper than GH/PH/upscale SPG hotels, even before factoring in things like BOGOs and superior points earning ability at IHG.

4. Within $10 seems fairly competitive. With perks like free internet, breakfast, club lounge, ect in whatever program one has status in, within $50 is usually ok for me.

$10 is like a beer in HKG..

I'm going to Buenos Aires in May, and the Intercontinental is $120 a night, with my RA HUGE value. The Starwoods, where I am Plat. are almost a $100 more a night.

5. FLYGVA

FLYGVA Active Member

Status Points:
    I think it is bit too general to rate IHG properties as high ... From my experience, Marriott is usually higher compared with IHG and Hilton. But of course it depends on forecast as well as other factors. E.g. if a big group has booked rooms, usually the price for the remaining rooms rises ...

6. I have seen the opposite in a lot of my travels, with Marriotts being the $10 higher locations, as well as SPG properties being higher as well.

I guess being able to use a corporate discount rate has been very helpful as it has reduced the prices quite significantly for me, while not having the corporate discount rate with the other locations has been a reason they have been higher quite often.

7. My experience as well. I can always find a cheap HI or HIX but I always struggle to find a reasonably priced SPG/Marriott and therefore usually struggle to maintain my status with them at the end of the year.

8. I actually didn't bother to renew my status with Marriott last year as I have found my stays with them lacking the past year or so during the economic downturn and HI or HIX locations to be more customer service oriented, so have kept the majority of my business with them at this point.

In this day and age, companies need to be very aware of their customer service.

9. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very true. Bad CS influenced my decision to not to make one more stay for PC Gold. The fact that PC gold gets you so little also played a role.

Grace likes this.
  10. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are all across the board, and are very market-specific. For example, I've seen some HI Express properties that seem outrageously priced for what they are, but it is a supply/demand situation much more than hotel quality. I've seen the same for just about every major chain. On the lower end, I've felt the same about Hampton or Four Points from time to time. On the upper end, $10 or $20 isn't going to influence my stay on price alone. On the lower end, $20 probably will be a consideration (taking into account points/status/benefits, etc.)

11. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Pricing is almost entirely based on the market in question. If the hotel is commanding higher prices than other comparable properties in the area, they must be getting people to pay those rates.

Personally, I find IHG hotels to typically be in line with other brands in the area (when I even bother to check other brands, which isn't always...dang status chasing), and sometimes even less. I always find it slightly amusing when, for example, I can stay at an InterContinental for less than a Crowne Plaza in the same metro area. Guess which one I choose? [​IMG]

12. Depends on which promotion is running, as instead of the flat points at the IC, sometimes better to stay in the Crowne Plaza for earning more points... :)

13. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had good success with CPs and how they treat Platinums and would on occasion, prefer them over ICs.

14. That's a pretty good generalization but I just stayed at a CP in Dublin, Ireland and was not overly impressed. No lounge there and a free drink coupon was the only amenity I received as a platinum RA. The rate was irresistable however at 79 Euros and its way better than the HI closer in to the center of Dublin .

15. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an HH Diamond, I had issues with the Conrad Dublin. They are really struggling with the economy and I think it's showing.

16. I stayed at the Conrad last weekend on a great rate of 120 euros including full breakfast for two and free internet. The hotel was just fine and we had no issues with anything.

17. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    The more general question is the competitiveness of any of the major hotels chains' published prices at airport locations on a weekend night compared to the comparable available inventory via Priceline. I typically make a reservation at the best choice of IHG/Hilton/Hyatt airport location that has a same day or 24 hour cancellation policy, adjusting price for the promos each chain is offering and how close I am to status. Then on that Thursday afternoon I go after a Priceline room at 35-50% off at the 3.5* category, or sometimes at $30 max plus the $6 booking fee at the 3* category if I'm pretty sure there's no oddball property that will jump in at 3*.

Two recent Saturday nights at airport locations - I needed to stay at a IHG property for 5 more stays for CTC, so I was insisting on saving $40 to go with Priceline.
    1. Had a Staybridge for $89+tax, ended up at a very nice Sheraton for $45+fees
    2. Had a HI&S for $80+tax, failed bidding up to $37 at 3.5*