Why Are Hotel Points So Undervalued?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by penguinpoopparty, Jan 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. penguinpoopparty

penguinpoopparty New Member

Status Points:
    On the one hand, we can fly from anywhere in the USA (including LAX or SLC) to Montreal, Canada for 25,000 points round trip +67.50 in taxes on Delta, a ticket that costs 500-700 dollars.

However when booking a night at a hotel, we cannot even afford 2 nights at a hotel room for the same amount of points for a bill that would be HALF the cost, or even less.

Anyone know why this is? Any recommendations for hotel programs with the best value of redemption, and works with AMEX membership rewards?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "number" of points alone does not tell the whole story. A Hilton diamond paying with the right credit card, for example, could earn almost 25000 points for a $700 hotel stay, and more if including promotions and multiple stays within the same budget. "Value" needs to include both earning and burning. Other currencies like spg and hyatt you earn much less but the value per point is better.

If your only earning is through amex MR you do not have any good options. Chase UR to hyatt can do OK. Spg can be a value to earn via their amex.

3. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    You make a good point. On several stays at a Hilton property in the UK, costing around £10K per each, I received between 90K and 120K HHonors points.

Also, going back a bit, I converted 500K HHonors points to BA miles (just before AVIOS), and that got me 5K BA miles.

There ARE differences, and variations.

As the OP stated, one can fly for fewer units of the program, vs units of many hotel programs, but the numbers are not apples vs apples.

Hunt

adrianors likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    why only through AMEX MR? Do you have to use AMEX MR? per mattsteg's comment, AMEX MR is not a good earning card for hotel redemptions.
    You redeemed 500,000 HHonors points in order to get 5,000 BA miles.

This seems like a very poor redemption rate, why such a move?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My bet it was a typo, since you pointed it out...

adrianors and dhammer53 like this.
  6. adrianors

adrianors Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go with marriott.. pretty good value.. lots of promotions and the MegaBonus is awesome.. two stays (which means two consecutive nights) and you can get a free night (+ points), up to a certain number but is not bad at all!

7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The exchange rate for Avios (same for BA miles) is 1k for 10K HH points.
    I am not convinced that 50K BA miles is worth anything close to 500k HH points for that matter :)

But maximizing points seem to be a challenge for some:)
    In these days one can get close to 30 HH points per $1 spend at a Hilton property... even a 10K GBP stay should yield about 240k HH points not counting the
    points or miles one would earn even if you paid with non Hilton credit card ( presumably some form of rewards card, right?.:D )

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  8. penguinpoopparty

penguinpoopparty New Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, good point. I guess I have just been kind of programmed to use AMEX for everything (payment, rewards, redemption, etc)... But realizing the frustrations I encounter when redeeming points it will open me up to try new programs with my AMEX as payment. I looked into the Mariott Rewards adrionors recommended and it seems I have been missing out on a lot. I'm pretty new to this stuff so I am glad I found this website!

MSYgirl likes this.
  9. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! These gurus have all kinds of good information, and people are very helpful if you ask for advice. :)

Although, judging by your screen name, I don't think we'd want to attend one of your parties. :D

WhiteDesert likes this.