why are good mileage runs tough out of ORD??

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by dc1956, Mar 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dc1956

dc1956 Silver Member

Status Points:
    or am I just missing something?

rwoman likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hub cities can often be tough for finding good MRs. Sometimes, it can be cheaper to start travel from a nearby smaller airport and fly through the hub on a MR.

:)

3. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wish that were true, but I have, yet, to see that from downstate Illinois. Example, last summer with the ORD - SFO/LAX double EQMs at less than $100 each way from ORD, was over $560.00 R/T from PIA and more from MLI

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not saying its impossible, just a bit of a challenge at times IME.

5. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's tough right now because of the DEQM being offered by American and it's the Spring Break season.

perryplatypus and rwoman like this.
  6. scf

scf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've wondered the same thing myself...definitely miss fare compare's MR tool!

7. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From an airline point of view, why chop prices when the planes are already flying full. But i do agree being in a hub city (I'm in Houston) can make it tougher. I think as times change (airline mergers, higher fuel prices, and higher fares) we might have to reset the bar at what a "good" price for a MR is.

rwoman likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Consider flying out of MKE.

9. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I guess the way I look at it, I'd trade some cheap mileage runs from WAS for the double eqm benefit.

That said last year I flew to LAX and then did a mileage run to MIA.

But I also think the airlines are cutting back seats and dont have as many to fill

perryplatypus, wrxmom and rwoman like this.
  10. Starblazer

Starblazer Active Member

Status Points:
    Mke is as hard or harder

11. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really can't feel your pain when I compare how much it costs to do MRs from northern Michigan. We book most of our runs out of ORD (i.e. ORD-IST, ORD-WAW, ORD-MAD and the current ORD-SFO/LAX). I have status on all three alliances and the runs are mostly from ORD. I think it is all relative; we are used to paying a premium and flying out of ORD seems like a bargain. I'm sure if it were my hub, I'd be as frustrated as you :) We use kayak.com/buzz to try to find good deals.

12. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at flights in early August for Lollapalooza in Chicago and the prices are shocking. Last year I got there for $259 for a Wed/Mon flight, 3 months out. I've seen pretty reasonable flights throughout the year hovering around $200 or so. This year it's $400+! Gonna wait it out and see how it plays out.

With the higher oil prices and tighter capacity, I'm not so hopeful it'll go down significantly. Unless we get more competition in the AUS-ORD market :)

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm still working on it - consider this VERY much a beta right now - but something like this might be useful: http://www.wandr.me/Fare-Finder.asp...IL--All-airports--Chicago-United-States-(CHI).

I strongly recommend creating an account to be able to manage carrier filtering, among other bits. But in the meantime, just click on the CPM column to sort there. The usual caveats - these are published fares and the EXCLUDE all taxes/fees, including YQ - apply.

There is a US R fare for $145 CHI-LAX, for example. DL has a pretty cheap CHI-MRY, too. Inventory may be another issue, but there are occasionally fares out there.

k2o and LizzyDragon84 like this.