Why are artificial sweeteners ....

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    ok in iced tea
    not so ok in hot tea
    disgusting in coffee?

I can't be alone in this. Or am I?

2. work2fly
    Original Member

work2fly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, you're not alone.

I like Splenda in iced tea and real sugar in coffee.

bakedpatato and misman like this.
  3. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    real sugar or nothing for me

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    NOTHING sweet for me in either coffee or tea. Artificial or not. Iced or hot.

Thank you very much. :)

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. Funtodoimpossible
    Original Member

Funtodoimpossible Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think all artifical sweetners have a disgusting chemical after taste and prefer real sugar or honey.

6. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Real sugar in iced tea
    No sugar in coffee
    No sugar in hot tea
    I have a friend with kidney problems that are aggravated by artificial sweeteners. None allowed in my home.

7. Efrem
    Original Member

Efrem Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're not alone. My wife uses Sweet-n-Low in her coffee, so we have it (along with sugar for me) next to our coffee maker. I tried her stuff in tea once, thinking I'd probably hate it as I do in coffee, but that I'd save a few calories if I could tolerate it. I was hooked. Now I use it in tea for the taste, with the calorie saving a side benefit. Still can't stand it in coffee, though.

8. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only use sweetzfree (liquid splenda). It's amazing and tastes like sugar in my coffee.

9. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was a sugar addict. In ice tea, I used at least three packages. All artificial sweeteners left after tastes. Yucky.

One day I went cold turkey with ice tea. No sweetener, no sugar, just tea. I loved it. So much more refreshing. Try it.

Coffee needs to be very white for me. powder, liquid creamer or real half and half do just fine. But again no sugar, no sweetener. Next i plan to teach my taste buds to like black coffee. Not sure I'll ever get there.

But for ice tea, skip the sweet stuff. It is so much better that way.

10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    ....disgusting in everything and give me headaches.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with the comment above about unsweetened iced tea, much better, with or without lemon. I don't understand why so many restaurants, especially in the American south, only offer it extremely presweetened.

For Coke and similar drinks, it's easy to become accustomed to the artificially sweetened version if you want to save the calories. Start with about 90% real coke mixed with 10% diet and then change the ratio gradually over a week or two. You won't mind the diet kind unless you go back to the version with real sugar.

bakedpatato likes this.
  12. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are all bad for you, in different ways (most of which aren't widely known). In fact, there's a uber-concentrated version of Aspartame out there that is so concentrated it may not need to have a PKU warning, which is scary. This, from the good folks at Monsanto (or the liability-shielding spinoff).

sobore likes this.
  13. bakedpatato
    Original Member

bakedpatato Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nothing beats the real stuff...but I found the taste of Coke Zero to be more tolerable than Diet Coke

14. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    It depends on the sweetener. I like Equal in iced tea, hot tea (not green tea or jasmine tea), and coffee. Splenda comes in second. I don't like saccharine; it's just bitter. I buy sugar-free and "no sugar added" products like yoghurt and find that aspartame is often used. I like it.

15. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Splenda in iced tea. But what's this nonsense about sweeteners in coffee? That an abomination! Coffee MUST be enjoyed black (I'm sure there's a law about this somewhere). How can anyone ruin the pure essence of the magic bean with sweeteners or . . . ugh . . . milk?

16. I think I remember seeing on TV once that a sweet item will taste sweeter if it's served hot than if it's served cold. If that's correct, it could be why you perceive artificial sweeteners to taste better in cold tea--it doesn't taste quite so sweet that way.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a scientist. I don't consume artificial sweeteners. And I don't put sugar in my coffee or tea. So I could be way off base here.)

17. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm an equal user for coffee and tea. I wear an insulin pump so few choices. I don't like Sweet n Low and Splenda is okay and I use it for baking.

18. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Agreed. I want natural poisons, not synthetic ones.

You drink decaf, not coffee, so your opinion doesn't count. Anyway, it's rumored that you pour hot sauce in your decaf and use it to power your lawn tractor.

AmericanGirl likes this.