Why am I not on the upgrade list?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by hulagrrl210, Apr 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went to check my reservation for tomorrow's flight on the mobile app and I am not on the upgrade list. The funny thing is, my parents (separate reservation and origin city) are and they already cleared. We all have the same status (gold), so why would they have already cleared while my husband (also gold), son (general member) and I aren't even on there. I called United to ask about this, but as the representative's command of the English language left a little to be desired, my question was never actually answered. He did assure me however that we are on the list, so why wouldn't it show on the mobile app? The app showed 9 people all of whom have cleared. On the phone the guy said there were 10 people on the list. Either way there are 14 empty seats in first so I'm sure we'll clear once check-in time comes, but I'm confused about how this new upgrade process works (or doesn't). Anyone have any good explanations?

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only passengers who are checked in show up on the upgrade waitlist on the mobile site. If you did not clear at the window, there may have not been R space (or enough R space) at that point to accommodate you and/or others.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're not checked in yet (their first flight is still 26+ hours away) so obviously they cleared at the window. They were 5 and 6 on a list of 9 that we weren't even on. Hard to believe there are that many more golds out there flying to Hawaii, off-season, midweek.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What flight number is this I can take a look for you.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    The cleared list is not sorted by time cleared, so don't be confused by that. My guess is that there were only so many seats in the R bucket available, and they either had a higher fare class or purchased before you, so they got it before you did. But there is no real way to know from the outside.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    712 SFO - OGG

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this is for 4/30 then there is 14 seats left in F with 19 Elites listed on this flight.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I guess that would confirm what I was told on the phone. 9 already cleared, new list of 10, so that's 19.

I double checked the reservations. We're booked in K, parents are T which I believe is better. I guess we can then assume they're are at least 3 more golds going to Maui tomorrow who aren't as cheap as I am ;)

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let me get this right, You're Gold... Your husband is Gold, and you have a General Member son?

If memory serves me correct on a 3 person itinerary it goes to the lowest status of the party or the 2nd status, so I'd have just split the PNR and everyone would get Upgraded based on inventory.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. 2 golds and a baby general.

11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if UA releases R2, you won't get it and it skips to the next person so in this case your parents (2) got the upgrade which is probably what happened. I'd recommend splitting the PNR (You with the son and your husband separately) to improve the chances but if it's almost check-in time then it'd be moot as the Airport Upgrade List separates everyone.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  12. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused. Does that mean if we stay on the same reservation we'd all be treated as generals?

13. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! That is good to know! I might call and do that for the return trip and definitely book that way in the future. As for tomorrow will it help if we check in early online?

14. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always... The Golden Rule or rather the Categorical Imperative of teh Penalty Box is to always Check In Early, and Check In often! I cannot stress the importance of checking in at 23:59 for the Upgrades.

mht_flyer, hulagrrl210 and desamo like this.
  15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks again! I used to always clear upgrades at 48 hours on these Hawaii flights and wouldn't bother checking in until I got to the airport. Funny how the transparency of the list changes when you know other people who are on it. I never would have realized there was a problem if my parents weren't on the same flight tomorrow.

16. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another factor for checking in and grabbing the R space is if you're on SFO-OGG and your parents are on IAD-SFO-OGG as an example, they would be able to check in earlier than you by several hours and might get Upgraded before you but that would be at their 23:59 check in window.

hulagrrl210 and desamo like this.
  17. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thought crossed my mind that people coming from the east coast would have an advantage, but we're all checking in from cities in California. I think their flight to SFO leaves within minutes of ours. Per your advice I did split the PNR. Too bad my parents aren't on the same flight returning from Hawaii. I would be interested to see how it all would work out. Anyway, I'm about 6 minutes away from 23:59. :)

Flyer1976 likes this.
  18. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just checked in. 2 more people cleared in front of us. :confused:

19. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes
    Under CO regime,post March 3,we all have to play nthat game -even if its in the middle of the night!! Under PM UA one could rely on UA & the system, you didnt have to check in til airport unless you chose to. A silly ,somewaht absurd new policy but....

Flyer1976 and hulagrrl210 like this.
  20. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is turning into a disaster. Now that I have checked in, the system automatically split my son and I and put him on his own record and now they are trying to tell me the only way they can fix it is for me to decline the upgrade. He's 3 months old. I'm sure someone in coach would love to sit next to him for 6 hours while mom and dad enjoy a few mai tais in first. :rolleyes:

Flyer1976 likes this.
  21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dad could sit in baby's seat in coach and mom and son could enjoy Mai Tais.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    With more than two people on a PNR the CPUs won't process anyone as I understand it. I believe the solution would be to split one of the parents out to a separate PNR and then that one would be processed and the other two would be processed as a Gold and companion at the Gold window.

I'm assuming that the kid is on a paid seat, not infant in lap.

23. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I split the adults' reservations this morning so that my husband (gold) was separate from my infant son and I. When I went to check in this afternoon, the computer automatically split my son from me and gave him his own record. Shortly after my husband and I got automatically upgrade while the baby is still in coach. I called reservations and talked to 4 or 5 different people, 2 supervisors, in order to try and fix this and no one could/would. They told me once the record is split it cannot be put back together and that my son's "companion" upgrade is left to the discretion of the gate agent. The best they said they could do is cross reference the reservations. This must be a "new" United thing and it is certainly not how it used to work and it is in no way consistent with what published on their website. The only resolution that was offered to me on the phone was that we could voluntarily downgrade or we could pay 27,500 miles to put my son in first. Neither of these were acceptable solutions but I'm sure some nice coach passenger will really enjoy siting next to my 3 month old baby boy for 6 hours. He's really cute and he doesn't cry much! Ok, but seriously what is the point of having a so called "companion" upgrade of they split your companion off of your reservation and don't upgrade them. As if traveling with an infant isn't enough work we get to deal with this now. I can't wait to see how this all plays out on the return trip as well because they wouldn't fix that one either and now that my husband I are separate from our son we'll surely clear at the 48-hour window and have a repeat of the situation. Luckily the flight tomorrow appears to be empty and I think there are more seats available in first than there are people on the list, so the little guy should make it but what a mess!

24. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually there's more Elites than Seats for the flight but there'll be some silvers so it should all pan out.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  25. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how is is supposed to work? Looking at the above text you quoted:

In addition, one companion traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member is also eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights, and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. This benefit does not apply to companions traveling on award tickets.

(bolding added by me)

should a no- or lower-status companion be split off? Will the system automatically apply the "sponsor" status (sponsor in the sense that the low/no status pax was supposed to benefit from the higher-level elite's status). Will gate agents do the right thing manually? Is this a bug?

I will have a similar situation coming up in a couple months. I booked two PNRs to begin with (1K -- me -- with no-status pax on one PNRS) and my wife (Gold) on second PNR. It's only a relatively short flight and no-status pax is a teen, so not quite as critical, but I'd still like to understand how this should (and will) work. Thanks for any insights!