Why am I not getting TSAPre anymore?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by riverchica, Nov 9, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple months ago I switched to flying primarily on Southwest. I've had Global Entry for a few years and have almost always gotten TSAPre (can't actually remember when I haven't). However, since switching to SWA, I'm only getting TSAPre about 50% of the time. I've flown on other airlines during this time and gotten TSAPre. I checked my SWA profile and it has the correct Trusted Traveler number.
    Okay, MPers, any ideas?

Newscience likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This may have nothing to do with it, but my success with TSAPre was spotty until I spelled out my middle name in my UA MP account instead of using the initial letter, matching what is on my passport, which is my primary form of ID. Since that change I have been 100% with PreCheck...

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm 100% on UA/AA/US since I got global entry myself. Like NYCUA1K I use my first middle and last names (and use my global entry card for my ID).

Now as I say this I will probably not get it on my NYC trip next month :eek:

Efilon87 and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    riverchica, it appears that you're getting some great advice from the Milepoint community! :)

I fly WN fairly regularly (40 flights so far this year). I initially had a few problems where they dropped my TSA PreCheck status from my boarding ticket when they first started with that TSA program participation early this year. Ever since then, it's been smooth sailing, and I've not had problems getting TSA PreCheck printed on my boarding ticket.

Just ensure that you've entered all the possible information being asked for TSA PreCheck status on the SWA webpage, and hopefully you won't get dropped again. I've also learned that it never hurts to contact WN directly, and their agents should be helpful on this issue. Good luck! ;)

8MiHi and NYCUA1K like this.
  5. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is pre not showing up on your boarding pass or is it failing to give you three beeps? Beep failure is probably what NYCUA1K said. The name is touchy. About 3 years ago I overheard an employee tell a passenger that the middle name/initial match is key. After that, I've been 100%.

If it's not showing up on the BP, that's a problem on the Southwest side of the house.

Newscience likes this.
  6. captjason

captjason Member

Status Points:
    TSA will only tell you that it is "random", but there are surely different aspects that lead to whether you get TSAPre or not. It could depend on various No Fly lists, security clearances, and other truly random factors. Good luck in finding an answer. I have also had the situation where you will get it for a string of flights, then not for a while. No rhyme of reason stands out.

7. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll check my middle name on my SWA profile, that's an idea. Captjason, you're right that when I've asked SW I've been told it's random, which it could be. Next flight is tomorrow so I'll have another data point!

Newscience and Flyer1976 like this.
  8. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't have GlobalEntry or paid for the Trusted Traveler Program then PreCheck will be random. ;)

Newscience and Photonerd71 like this.
  9. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to jinx myself, but ever since being approved recently, it has always been on my AA, USAir, and United boarding passes. I think im at 25 segments this year. Its always been there.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Global Entry was some of the best money I have ever spent on travel "products"

11. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pffffttt....another SW flight, another day w/out TSA Pre.
    Another idea - if tickets are booked by a 3rd party, might that affect TSA Pre? I realized that several of these tickets were booked by admins and then my SW rapid rewards number added after booking. Could that be it?

Newscience likes this.
  12. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Certainly possible. Since you have global entry, you have a known traveler number. That's the ticket to getting Pre. You can call the airline and ask if that number is associated with your ticket. If not, they can add it for you over the phone.

Worst case scenario, you can have a ticket agent do it at the airport and then have them reissue your boarding pass, but not sure what the timing is for them to get the information to TSA or if that's even a factor since unless you know someone who works for TSA, you'll never get them to admit anything in the name of keeping that sensitive information out of terrorist hands. :rolleyes:

Newscience likes this.
  13. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is always the paranoid response. Have you publicly made any negative comments about the administration?

14. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ha! I finally got Precheck and then the Precheck lane was closed. Oh, the humanity!!!

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  15. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Someone in TSA really does not like you.. Just kidding. Congrats. The lanes does not always stays close but you on the other hand looks good from here onwards.

Newscience likes this.
  16. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    was it the middle name?

Newscience likes this.
  17. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it was the 3rd party booking. Even though I had checked that my SW info was entered at the time of booking, I'm not sure that my trusted traveler number made it into the booking. But I'm not sure why it's a an issue when my SW number is put on at the time of booking or within a day of booking?

Newscience likes this.
  18. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, let's see if you continue to get the Prechecks moving forward.
    With luck (and a stable system), you might have a better airport experience from here onwards.

riverchica and Newscience like this.
  19. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1