Why A Boeing 777 Costs $320 Million

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by gregm, Mar 29, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neat read, although they erroneously list the 767 as discontinued, which it is most certainly not.

gregm and blackjack-21 like this.
  3. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that the article shows "list price" which I don't think many of the airlines finally wind up paying because of discounts offered by Boeing and possibly the engine manufacturers. Still it's a bit higher then the latest price for a new DC-3.

gregm and Gargoyle like this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    List price! I wonder if they have an "SS" (super sport) or "RS" (rally sport) model!?!?!?!?!?!:D

gaijin62 and blackjack-21 like this.
  5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends!!! No, not those kind. The buyers get to choose the interior configurations, such as ten across, eleven across, or wing seating if needed, with varying degrees of pitches from 29-32" in Lavatory class. However, should they decide to go with the very comfortable bucket type seating, as in my 1977 Monte Carlo (bought new in Oct., 1976 and kept for 17 1/2 years until the large V-8 finally started giving out), then of course the plane's price may go up a bit. However, as many airlines choose to buy in bulk prior to later cancelling half the order, rather then only one or two at a time, they are entitled to a 19.33% discount if they can provide the correct discount code prior to booking. And the Chevy SS and Pontiac RS model's seats have long gone out, giving way to those equally hard backed Recaro seats that are often called by unrepeatable names for their (dis)comfort.

gregm likes this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That Monte was a 2dr with a reaaallllllly long hood, right?

blackjack-21 likes this.
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right, that was the last of the BIG Monte`s as the next year`s model (1978) had shrunk and was not as massive looking as ours. 2 door, blue with a half vinyl roof, and the distinctive four rectangular headlights which easily identified it apart from the `76 which had the round headlights. 5,300 pounds, it rode low and tight on the highways, and that large V-8 gave it lots of power when needed, although it was a bit thirsty to say the least. But those were the days of slightly less expensive gas (45 cents a gallon) and frequent gas wars in Jersey where competing stations often dropped prices quickly to get customers away from one down the block. Nowadays, at least up here in the frozen north woods, there is no competition, as every different gas station within miles of each other is exactly the same price down to the tenth of a cent. My wife loved riding in that car, as it was very comfortable and solid and its large size and weight added to the feeling of its power on the highways.

And we really did keep that car for 17 plus years, as the engine was starting to give out by then and it was starting to rust even after all my years of trying to keep her rust free by frequent washing and waxing throughout the years but it was a losing battle with all the salt that`s put down here each winter. So we traded it in for a new `94 Pontiac Sunbird 2dr (not the RS) in March, 1994. That one only had a six cylinder 140 hp engine but still had the pep when needed and it lasted just over 10 years. Better on gas though at a time when gas prices were rising very quickly.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    gregm likes this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    For My $300 Million Jet, Whom Do I Make This Check Out To?
    http://www.businessweek.com/article...-do-i-make-this-check-out-to?campaign_id=yhoo

When the sticker price for a new Boeing or Airbus jet can top $300 million, rarely does one expect a buyer to fork over the total in cash. Yet that’s what has been happening in recent years at Boeing, the largest seller of widebody airplanes, where a quarter of all deliveries this year are forecast to be paid for in cash

blackjack-21 likes this.
  9. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just be sure you spell my name correctly, as you know how finicky the banks are when cashing small amounts.

gregm likes this.
  10. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not based in Utah, right? :rolleyes:

blackjack-21 likes this.
  11. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nah, slightly further NNW by about 1,842 miles, give or take some dozens or so.

gregm likes this.