Whose affiliate links to use for credit card sign-ups?

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by LarryInNYC, Jan 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm planning on applying for a couple of credit cards this week — the Sapphire Preferred and the US Airways 40K. I figured I'd use the affiliate links of one of the bloggers who I read regularly (Rick, Brian, Gary, and Ben). I was thinking of going with Rick because he seems to be the most down-to-earth. Is there any practical reason to chose one over another? Alternatively, does anyone owe any of these guys a favor that I could help pay back?

Or should I do as someone in another thread suggested and go directly to the bank without using an affiliate link, thus discouraging more "clogging"?

gwhit21, iolaire and deant like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not spread things out and do one of so application per site that you frequent? Another suggestion is to use the banner ads on a site like this if they have banners for the same offer.

3. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this site an affiliate in the same way those other bloggers are?

deant likes this.
  4. gwhit21

gwhit21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Affiliate links are such a hot topic lately... I think going through the bloggers that you gain the most from is fair. If one of the above has been available to help you by email that's a plus. I used to go with the blogger that was the most personable through email.

deant likes this.
  5. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably not, but they could be. But regardless they should pay well. Most likely they are banner ads from say Chase served by the ad network. Even so those banners should generate a nice commission for the site since the product generates so much revenue, but no where near they payout that an affilate earns. So applications from blogs probably result in more money for the travel community.

6. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know. . .

It strikes me that if one were to set up one's own affiliate link just for applying for your own cards, those cards would be a good deal more valuable.

Alternatively a group of people could set up an affiliate club, get one affiliate account, route all their applications through it, and split the receipts. It would either have to be a small, trustworthy group or else you'd need some way of verifying who was actually receiving cards through it.

MLW20 likes this.
  7. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Larry,

I use the link on www.frugaltravelguy.com since I:

- have read his blog since the beginning
    - read his blog first in the morning
    - Rick's a nice guy
    - I like his style

I use the link on www.thepointsguy.com because I:

- read Brian's blog after Rick's
    - Brian is a nice guy
    - I enjoy his analysis

I would never go to my local bank and sign up for a credit card.
    Signing up via one of the above blogs is the least I can do. Rick and Brian have added lots of miles and points to my balance sheet. ;)

Dan

Espan and djsoulglo like this.
  8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought of this, too, but I have no idea how one gets an affiliate account in the first place. Most of the search results online go to places that obviously just want to help you buy a domain, fill it with key words, and wait for hapless internet denizens to stumble into the wrong part of town and decide to get a credit card while they're there.

9. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the cc affilate programs are fairly selective, but I could be wrong. I have no problems letting the blogs get their due, I just hope they represent the best interest of their readers.

MLW20 likes this.
  10. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't just go and get the links that pay for CC signups. Your blog has to qualify somehow. I just have no clue how they decide who can/ can't get the offers.
    But you are totally right- imagine a 50,000-100,000 mile signup bonus topped off by using your own link to also give you some cash.
    Back to your question- If you want to support a blog through linking, going with the one you find is the most helpful to you. I guess call the CC signup their payback for helping you out
    Hopefully you choose a blog that always tells it's readers to go for the best offer and not just the offers they have links for...

I'd probably link through Rick or GLeff's blogs due to the amount of info they have shared over the years. I've been reading both for a long time and I've contacted Rick for advice a bunch of times and he has just about always responded to my e-mails with useful info...

11. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure that anyone can get an affiliate account but you might have to at least run a blog or website... The thing is that you do not get all of the great offers to use on your site just for signing up for the account.

12. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Some affiliate networks are more selective in whom they work with than others, such as traffic requirements, presumably since they have some infrastructure costs associated with each account and want to make sure there'll be a minimum amount of activity.

It's actually against the agreements with credit card companies to use your own links to apply for cards, though I've heard from others that they do it anyway.

Hope that's useful context!

Cheers,
    Gary

13. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting discussion.

I'm not seriously considering setting up my own private affiliate source. It was just an idea that struck me.

My inclination is to use the affiliate links of the four bloggers I mentioned in my first post, rotating among them each time I apply for credit cards. This time I used Rick's site. I'll use Gary and Brian the next couple of times.

14. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    For what it's worth it's certainly appreciated, but more importantly I hope the things that I write are useful to some folks, everything else is far less important.

mailbroad and autolycus like this.
  15. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I, for one, appreciate that attitude very much. I'm new to the whole mileage game and have been reading your blog and some others daily since I found them a couple months ago. When I do a credit card churn, I will make sure to spread the affiliate wealth to several bloggers, and you will almost certainly be one of them. I would have with my first set of applications except I ended up doing targeted or other non-affiliate offers--OnePass Plus for 50k, one of the older Amex Platinum for 50k and Amex HHonors for 60k.