Who's responsible for your missed airline connection?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/trave...veltrctntt-b20120626-20120626,0,2887674.story

Jeff Emerson missed his flight from Minneapolis to Washington last month. He didn't make his connection to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and didn't arrive as scheduled in Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, where he was supposed to start work as a summer volunteer.

The story of Emerson's delay is fascinating -- maybe a little infuriating, too -- for anyone who's flying this summer, particularly internationally. It raises an important question about who takes responsibility for delays that are beyond a passenger's control.

Read More: http://www.chicagotribune.com/trave...veltrctntt-b20120626-20120626,0,2887674.story

uggboy likes this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    So he was initially on a ticket that would not have allowed him legal entry to his destination per the terms of his Visa? Maybe that's what set off alarms? Maybe that's the real issue why he could not use his initial ticket? Something does not add up.

LETTERBOY, uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    But how does TSA play a role in determining whether one's compliant with visa rules? :rolleyes:
    I agree, something just does not add up

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TSA has nothing to do with Visa rules, of course, but if he can't fly on a one-way ticket he certainly should not have had one in the first place. Also, the TSA at MSP, where this apparently happened, would typically have only have looked at his United BP for the first segment. If it really was TSA, what would have caused this who encounter in the first place?

While I'm sorry his travel plans were affected, I do wonder about the level of truthfulness in the kid's story. The "24-hour no-fly list" is presented as the TSA making it up as they go along, but it could be the kid confusing things as well. The kid's quotes sound coached, entitled, and unfortunately a bit toolish. I wonder how he handled whatever interview/questioning he may or may not have run into with the TSA (or CBP, or whoever he talked to)

Had he made the plane, I wonder if he would have been able to board. His visa screwup could have left him stranded further on down the line.

Sounds like Orbitz ultimately did very well by him.

I know at least one friend who had to cancel an entire trip because they screwed up on the passport/visa/rules end.

The more I look at this, the more it seems like a piece written with an axe to grind, and trying to fit the situation into the framework of the desired story. I certainly could be wrong and editing for length may have cut out the real context and explanation, but the veneer of believability just wears a bit thin.

LETTERBOY and Sedosi like this.
  5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article was written by Chris Elliott. That should tell you everything you need to know.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.