Whoops! We loaded the wrong cargo.

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This morning's 0020 SFO-DFW had a slight delay in boarding due to late arriving aircraft, and that's generally not a problem as I have a long connection on arrival at DFW. This morning, after boarding, the pilot announced that we'd be delayed 5-10 minutes while the ground crew removes the cargo that was destined for ORD. They had loaded the wrong cargo. O.K., no problem, we'll be underway shortly.

Get to the edge of the Bay and we're ready to fire up the engines for departure. You would think we'd be rolling down the runway in seconds. Wrong. They determined the cargo was not properly balanced at that juncture, so we drive down the runway and exit back to the AA terminal. I believe I also overheard something about taking on more fuel from one of the other F passengers, but didn't notice that out my side of the plane.

Ended up leaving the gate about 80 minutes after scheduled departure. Lot of groans about missed connections, and I saw several passengers run off the jetway on arrival to make a connection. I was fortunate to have to go only a few gates down in the A terminal and arrived just as boarding commenced for my connecting flight.

Hope the trip home goes a little better. I've had three trips over the last 8 days and there's been challenges with all of them (weather, delays, cancellations, trip in vain).

magic111 likes this.
  2. TrueBlueFlyer
    Original Member

TrueBlueFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    good luck Tom!

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's been an awful time to fly lately, best of luck on the return! Hopefully you're not going through DFW in the next day or two, I heard there's more snow/ice on the way.

4. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're smart to book a longer connection at this time of year, even at DFW. Glad it worked out for you.

whataringtoss likes this.
  5. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, especially this time of year. Never know when deicing or snow delays will occur, and DFW is not as well prepared as ORD.

My worst experiences at DFW have been this time of year (ice) and late spring (thunderstorms).

6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Safely back at DFW from DCA. Odd thing that DFW has a weather waiver in effect today, yet it is just gorgeous outside with bright, blue skies for miles. Incoming flight arrived 20 mins early and we had to wait for our gate which was occupied. With that delay ended up arriving just on time. Waiting for my SFO flight. All upgrades have cleared.
    http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetails.do?fN=001_travelNotices.xml&_locale=en_US

Tom in the A side AC at DFW

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to do all my mileage runs with that 0020 departure as it does leave you plenty of options later in the day to get to my destination and then back to SFO. I've missed the DFW-DCA on past trips and they just roll me over to the next flight and that generally works (though I may lose my upgrade in the process).

8. HNL
    Original Member

HNL Gold Member

Status Points:
    How far in advance did the upgrades clear?

9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The second and fourth segments cleared at least 24 hours out, DFW-SFO and DFW-DCA. I've already deleted the upgrade e-mails and I've had so many flights this week I can't recall exactly where they cleared between the 24-100 hour mark.

The first segment SFO-DFW cleared 4 hours before departure. The third segment DCA-DFW cleared sometime after I checked in on-line 12 hours prior to departure as the "duplicate boarding pass" warning came up when I went to board (expected it might, as I was not on the upgrade list being displayed, but counter was not staffed to check). Agent went back to the counter and printed the new boarding pass.

I have another trip out Friday and back Saturday with an overnight hotel stay and 3 of the 4 segments have cleared for that already as of yesterday, so those do seem to be clearing closer to the 100 hour mark. That's more typical for me.

10. CO FF

CO FF Active Member

Status Points:
    At least AA didn't board a ramper as cargo...

11. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ramper? We're the cargo. Self-loading. [​IMG]

12. CO FF

CO FF Active Member

Status Points:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2011/US/02/09/district.of.columbia.person.cargo.hold/

A baggage handler at Reagan National Airport in Washington was found locked in a US Airways plane's cargo hold before takeoff Monday, said Laura J. Brown with the Federal Aviation Administration. Employees were searching for their co-worker when banging was heard outside the fuselage, she said.

13. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All in all it had to be better than being on the NW flight a couple years ago where the pilots went "whoops we flew past our destination"

I realized that if my subsequent flight had not been cancelled I would have been on this flight also.

14. Scott
    Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Status Points:
    This story reminds me of a scene in LOST where the airline says, "oops, we lost your father's body."