Who Will Be The Next MilePoint Member To Post?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wijomas, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **LFCorsten**
    As we don't have a "title" box in this forum for replies, please ensure your guess is enclosed in double asterisk as above. That'll be an enormous help for when I get around to building an automated scorekeeper for this game!

The rules of this game have changed little since it was first initiated by our dear friend Canarsie back in '04. All we ask is that you play by the rules and have fun! :cool:

So, without further ado, let's get started with the objectives of this game.

BASIC OBJECT OF THIS GAME

Guess who will be the next MilePoint member to post immediately after your milepost and score at least one point if the guess is correct. The MilePoint member with the most points at the end of each quarter wins.

Now here are the more specific, detailed rules:
    1. To guess a single MilePoint member — At the very start of your message, type the name of the MilePoint member you wish to guess with two asterisk on either side of the name. For ease of reading, make this bold. Start your message on a new line. Please make sure that the name is spelled accurately and precisely, so that the automated scorekeeper can give you your hard-earned points!

2. To guess multiple MilePoint members in succession — Follow the instructions in Rule #1 above, except please separate the name of each MilePoint member with a comma.

3. Earning Points — Each time a participant’s guess is correct, that MilePoint member will earn one point. If anyone can correctly guess the succession of multiple MilePoint members that will post consecutively, that MilePoint member will earn as many points as named in the succession, plus a bonus point per correct MilePoint member guessed.

4. Guesses Which Do Not Earn Points — No points will be awarded (full or partial credit), even if the first guess of that succession is correct, unless all of the following occurs:
      • One cannot post two or more consecutive posts in a row.
      • One cannot include oneself in any guess or prediction whatsoever at any time.
      • One cannot repeat the name of a MilePoint member in a succession, consecutively or non-consecutively, in the same guess.
      • The MilePoint name of each MilePoint member whom you are guessing must be spelled accurately and precisely. If not, no points will be awarded.
      • The entire consecutive MilePoint member succession must be correct.

5. Content of Posts — You may type whatever you want in the Message area of your post, as long as it does not violate the Guidelines & Rules or the Posting Guidelines of MilePoint. No subject or post is off-topic, provided that the official guess containing the name(s) of who will be the next MilePoint member(s) to post is in the post in the way specified in rule #1. The reason why this rule states that you may type whatever you want is to introduce a bit of strategy. For example, type something which you think will cause the next MilePoint member to immediately respond — as long as something is not posted that will cause a moderator to close this thread.

6. Editing Existing Posts — Existing posts in this thread may be edited, as long as the date and time of the edit is before the date and time of the next immediate post. If the date and time of the edit in a post with a correct guess is “stamped” at the same time or after the date and time of the next immediate post, the correct guess becomes disqualified and therefore earns no points. Of course, this rule does not affect incorrect guesses.

7. Deletion of Posts — Due to the fact that points are tallied on a continuous basis, posts to this thread that have been physically deleted will be subject to resurrection. However, content of what is posted to this thread may be deleted as long as the physical post is not deleted.

8. Winners and Prizes — The MilePoint member with the most points at the end of each quarter wins. If available during each quarter, a prize may be offered to the winner. If there is more than one prize offered in a quarter, the top MilePoint members to score points in a quarter will win the prizes, awarded to the first-place winner, second-place winner, etc. In the unlikely event of a tie score, the MilePoint member involved in the tie score with the most cumulative points to this thread since February 4, 2011 (as found in the column with gray numbers) will then be declared the winner. In the even-more-unlikely event that the tie score is still not resolved after the aforementioned methods have been implemented, the MilePoint member with the most mileposts in this thread will be declared the winner. The quarterly score will be reset at the beginning of the new quarter, while the overall score will remain constant and not be reset. Each new quarter begins on January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1 of each calendar year respectively. To make this game even more interesting, in addition to a winner every quarter, the player with the most points at the end of the complete game also wins. The end of the complete game is if this thread gets corrupted and nobody can respond to it anymore. Moderator intervention, including locking or closing this thread, does not count as the game being completed and therefore no winner shall be declared and no prizes, if any, shall be awarded as a result. Perhaps the game may never end. What a devious and fiendish way of ensuring that this thread lasts a long time!

9. Changing of Rules — If it is determined that the present rules do not work well and there is a way to improve this game, the rules may be changed as long as everybody generally agrees. If the rules do change, they must be officially included as part of the Rules listed in this initial post in this thread.
    The reason for many of the rules listed above is to help keep the tallying and scoring of points as simple as possible.

Let's get started!

2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    **wijomas**

Happy to be here on MilePoint!

A liker and wijomas like this.
  3. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **SC Flier**
    Indeed. Let's make this one bigger than ever. :D

SC Flier likes this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    **wijomas**

How are Content DOs being coordinated? I don't see them on Meetups.

5. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **SC Flier**

There's a thread over in the Community section I think, but they should really use the calendar feature. It's a great idea.

SC Flier likes this.
  6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    **wijomas**
    I'm sure that it will get worked out very soon. I'd be up for a Content DO, but I'm not sure where or when just yet. For now, though, I'm going to bed.

I have a suggestion to consider for this thread, though: "Like" a post whenever the poster earned a point?

7. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **SC Flier**

I don't know if you've seen this game on FT, but I built an automated scorekeeper for it. It will be difficult (though not impossible) to make it automatically "like" a post when a point is earned... but I'll give it a shot when I get some free time. :)

Good night, bed time for me as well I think (though it's considerably earlier (or later, depending how you look at it) here in AKL!)

SC Flier likes this.
  8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    **LFCorsten**
    I wasn't thinking that it was important to have an automatic liker. I was figuring that the likes could be issued by anybody. My MP status just increased.

A liker likes this.
  9. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **SC Flier**

Can't sleep. Not that I've really tried. :(

10. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    **wijomas**

Is that it?

KIXman likes this.
  11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    **wijomas**
    Have a good rest?

A liker likes this.
  12. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    *SC Flier*

Fun game!!

wijomas likes this.
  13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    A liker likes this.
  14. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **SC Flier**

I've been rewiring Italian chandeliers all afternoon, does that count? :rolleyes:

15. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    ** wijomas **

wijomas likes this.
  16. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **kiwi**
    what's happenin' kiwi? are you going to be in WLG wed/thurs?

17. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    **wijomas**
    Probably. 77W open day on Wednesday.

18. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **kiwi**
    Yep, I'm booked for the 2.30 "show." Though I already went to the AKL one, thought I'd take a friend in WLG through. I'll text you when I'm down there to see if you've got some free time to catch up.

19. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    ** wijomas **

YHC

20. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **kiwi**
    Lol. That acronym isn't quite as descriptive as YHPM. YHC? You have crack? :p

21. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    **wijomas**

YGC

22. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are we just going to copy all of the content? [​IMG]

23. wijomas
    Original Member

wijomas Gold Member

Status Points:
    **Indiana Delta Diamond**

No... but this game is great, so why not have it on both? ;-)

24. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    **wijomas**
    I'm at CLT waiting for my delayed flight to DEN. Ice/snow in ORD has delayed the inbound.

A liker and MikeMpls like this.
  25. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    ** SC Flier**

Presuming that DEN flight is still delayed. Hope you get in the air sooner than later

MikeMpls likes this.