Who should I credit within SkyTeam

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by kstewart10, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am new to SkyTeam and curious about which program I should credit. I am new to SkyTeam products but will likely fly them in the near future, on Star I credited to BMI and now Aegean for quick status building, is there a likewise fast track FFP I should consider or just start crediting to Delta?

Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK there isn't a fasttrack carrier, although the requirements can differ as do the percentage of miles earned on different fare codes. Note that SkyTeam isn't especially good for consistently available alliance-wide benefits. Do you care more about status benefits or award tickets. If the latter, how do you feel about fees and where are you based?

Note that if you want free upgrades on USA "domestic" flights, it's helpful to use DL, although you might be able to get a rare upgrade as an Alaska or KLM/AF FF. Alaska isn't SkyTeam, but you can credit and redeem using DL, so this might be an option to consider if you don't fly other SkyTeam carriers.

3. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I completely forgot about Alaskan, great solution, thanks so much, that's perfect!

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just remember that Alaska isn't a member of SkyTeam. You can earn and burn on both DL and AA, but Alaska miles, for example, cannot be used for "SkyTeam upgrades" (from essentially full coach fares). I suspect that you can use Alaska miles for any award ticket that uses DL codeshares (which would include a lot of flights operated by AF and KLM, but none by certain other SkyTeam members such as Saudia) for flights operated by any SkyTeam member, but I've never checked the details.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, I believe AS partner awards can use one and only one partner, another important consideration to keep in mind.

6. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks this is all great information. I am currently located in BKK and using a SkyTeam airline (Kenya) to HKG (T fare class), but then on Korean BKK-ICN-LAX in prestige class, and possibly another trans-Atlantic with DL to Europe again. With AA I have BusinessExtrAA and with the whole of Star Alliance I have Company Plus, but what about SkyTeam? Delta has a business bonus program that allows you to double dip, but I have a couple of employee itineraries on Korean and it looks like they have two programs, one called CMBS which only appears with instructions in Korean, and one called SME partner with English instructions but no mileage double dip. Any advice? Also, asked Delta for a status match and they declined me on BMI (fair enough they are out of business) but have been giving me one word answers, any suggestions on how to get matched on SkyTeam for my several upcoming itineraries?

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why wouldn't you ask for a match from BA - if you had BMI status you should have BA now. With your location and flight pattern you may need to make a case for the match as you do not appear to necessarily be doing much business with Delta's most direct competitors. From the information posted here, it's not clear why DL for example would want to match you.

Check the earning and redemption charts of the programs of the airlines you will likely be flying on for the fare classes you would typically buy. Is this status you would maintain, or just a slash and burn to have status for a couple of one-off trips?

8. kstewart10
    Original Member

kstewart10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great questions Mattsteg - I noticed I did leave off another two itineraries, small ones LAX-OMA etc, and I should have also stated that my wife will be traveling with me on all of these itineraries (business partners as well) which really means that if they give me status, they sell two tickets instead of one.

On the slash and burn over maintained status, it would be my program this year. The last couple of years I have been oneworld, but I have been transferred out of Europe, and AA has higher prices domestically in the US outside of their cornerstones and has shown me very little love so if it goes well, I might switch to Delta for the long term. I am waiting for the BA switchover and mine is not yet completed, but I was getting back one lined responses like, "BMI does not have an elite program level that matches Delta" - which is inaccurate, when I challenged this (as it was *A Silver) they responded in a similar form with now simply, "We do not match BMI". Had they offered a challenge I would have taken it, or they could have matched my Aegean status or offered a solution for BMI but they were curt in their responses so I assumed that there was another way around. Any suggestions?