Who says cut-rate Aadvantage seats don't exist?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Jul 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every once in a while, something goes right. Short story is that I am writing this in Honolulu Sunday morning, killing time before my 4 p.m. F-class departure to ORD, with connection on Eagle to ICT. Came over on Wednesday via DFW , and booked the whole trip with "plan AAhead" miles a week ago today (2 1/2 days notice!). Cost me a whopping $10 security fee plus 75,000 miles RT F mainland - Hawaii. No late booking fee for Elite members.

Slightly longer story is that I had been checking availability for like 6 weeks, nothing there that I wanted, as recently as 10 a.m. last Sunday. Checked again at 3 p.m. and they had opened up a seat! Wow! Of various "frequent flyer coups" I have managed to pull off over 30 years, this one jumps close to the top of my list. Now, AA, about that 4 1/4 hour delay in DFW on the way over Wednesday. . . :(

So now it's back to 110 degrees in Kansas. As a teething three-year-old might say, "Oh, Thit."

2. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats. They seem to be very generous with Hawaii these days - I scored 5 seats on the same flight during high season at the low mileage rate and there were more to be had!

If you're looking to go to Hawaii on miles - book now!

rwoman, JohnDeere19 and kansaskeith like this.
  3. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Contemplated perhaps getting a Powerball ticket upon return? ;)

rwoman, JohnDeere19 and kansaskeith like this.
  4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good for you. I continue to think AA offers the best miles availability in the market of full service carriers.

I redeemed for some low miles three-cabin f awards earlier this year on AA over Easter at a 9.6cpm valuation.

Tough to beat.

I think they're also the only legacy carrier to offer last seat availability on double miles awards to non-elites (and of course to elites, too).

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume that the load on this flight was low, but either way, a great score...congrats! Make sure to make full use of that NA gateway stopover on the way back!

rwoman likes this.
  6. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, JohnDeere19, three of the four flights (the only exception being O'Hare to Wichita this morning) were pretty much loaded to the gills. In fact, Dallas - Honolulu had a wait list of 20 people at the gate at one point. What I don't know is that if the load occurred because they opened it up to many others like me at the last minute, though I tend to think not.

Now, this is funny. Look back at my original post at the top of this otherwise very positive thread and you will note that I added one not-so-positive line: "Now, AA, about that 4 1/4 hour delay in DFW on the way over Wednesday." Well, I landed back in Wichita this morning, Monday, and driving home from the airport I got a beep that I had e-mail pending. Pulled to the side of the road to read it, and it was an apology from AA! Crediting 5,000 miles back to my account :) When it rains it pours!

rwoman and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on getting the MileSAAver award! :)

rwoman likes this.
  8. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congratulations for the credit! If only they would credit my AA account with miles ;) for the trouble of two intl telephone calls to reverse charges put on my credit card by AA ... first should have been waived, then instead of reversing hte charge it got charged again!
    So another phone call ... hopefully this time both charges will get reversed ... I haven't checked my credit card yet :)

9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fast-forward on this thread to 2012: Here, 11 months out from Christmas 2012, just managed to snag MilesAAver first-class seats for a Hawaii (HNL) holiday trip. Have succeeded without having to go to double-redemption miles for Hawaii travel every Christmas now, for years. And this year, have managed to do it out of ICT and also avoid the "ghetto bird" ETOPS 757s out of Los Angeles - though the 763s out of DFW are an aging fleet as well, at least they are more comfortable in F.

(One year doing this we had to drive to OKC rather than leave ICT. And this past Christmas there was a 757 in the mix, via Los Angeles. But neither of those hassles will apply if we take the trip this year. And if we don't, we can avoid the $150 MilesAAver rebooking charges by using the PNRs for ICT-HNL on available Z inventory on other dates - like summer, which we would almost certainly want to do. So I saw available seats, and went for it.)

One new feature for the trip this year was that aa.com offered AS first-class for the overwater legs, still at the 37,500 each-way sAAver level, connecting through SAN outbound and SEA return. Almost bit on this, to sample AS first class and to ride on some newer airplanes, but in the end the schedule times just didn't work quite as well.

Yep, F seats are available at the sAAver level, even on peak routes at peak season if you hunt for them. Thanks AA!

retirementdreams, rwoman and iolaire like this.