Who protects me if connection is missed--UA or US (mixed metal)?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by norge, Feb 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    I booked an award trip koa-lax-phx-boi using UA miles. My first leg is on UA metal & the last two on US metal. I have a very tight connection in phx. If I miss this last leg because US gets me into phx late will I be protected by US or UA? I'm guessing US but not sure. What is their responsibility? Get me to boi as soon as possible? Keep me in the same class of service? The award is in First.
    Thanks,
    norge

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delivering carrier at the misconnect point is responsible. In this case that would be UA at LAX and US at PHX. US's obligation is to get you a seat on the next "available" flight but that means different things. If you insist on a first class seat then you might have to wait longer than if you accept a coach seat, depending on what's available on the day of travel.

If you do take the coach seat you're not due anything for the downgrade. Your choice if you want to get home in F or quickly at that point.

Flyer1976 and norge like this.
  3. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the clear explanation, WA. If the CS desk has a long line would you suggest phoning US?

A majority of the phx-boi flights don't have First class seats so my main goal will be to get home ASAP, even if I have to go thru sfo, den, sea, las or slc. :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can try calling but agents at the airport often have more access to seats, especially on other carriers should that be necessary. If the line is long it probably wouldn't hurt to make the call while waiting in line. If the phone agents fix it then you can walk away and if not you've not lost your position in the queue.

bmg42000 and Efilon87 like this.