Who Needs Global Entry? MIA...

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Espan, Mar 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Espan

Espan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Automated kiosks at MIA immigration had me through in under a minute.... :)

Flyer1976, gregm, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs jbc and I have similar experience nearly every time, regardless of the overall immigration load. That is usually true even when, as often happens to me, fingerprint scan fails. technical changes have seemingly reduced the frequency of that problem. (the technical changes are me using hand cream a half-hour or so before landing). TSA might have made a change or two also; I do not know about that.

3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! It's been some time since we've been through Miami (we now head to Hawaii for vacation, rather than the Caribbean), and so it's great to hear how much things have improved at MIA immigration.

MIA used to be the "immigration experience from hell", with passengers standing in line at immigration, and then rushing to locate their bags and re-position them with their respective airline for their outbound flights. At least, if automated entry kiosks can be accessed without standing in an immigration line by non-GE travelers, that is simply amazing! ;)

Espan, gregm and jbcarioca like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's probably worth adding that, at least for AA Premium arrivals from GIG (the only ones I can speak to) bags arrive consistently within 15 minutes of landing. I have not waited any more than ten minutes since early 2013. FWIW, I have had domestic MIA arrivals from several cities with similar baggage claim experiences. Outgoing I have had the luxury of Concierge Key, but have not noticed much wait for people it PreCheck, even though CK jumps the queue there have never been more than one or two people in the queue anyway. On the frequent times when I go through after PreCheck closes at 10 PM there has never been more than two or three people in the queue anyway.

On balance, as regular MIA travellers will probably agree, Premium passengers have it pretty good now. For the rest, it seems to depend entirely on cruise ships and the islands or large tourist events. The hoi polloi suffers when that happens, no question about it.

Espan, gregm and Newscience like this.
  5. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that Global Entry also gives you TSA Pre.

Flyer1976, Espan, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  6. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. I usually re-enter the States in the North, but may just try MIA in the near future. My experience with GE at JFK was mixed. I breezed thru Immigration but was held up waiting for luggage.

Espan, jbcarioca and foxberg like this.
  7. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    JFK is "usually" OK with luggage. They do seem to care about "priority" tags when loading the carousel.

Flyer1976, Espan, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    These automated kiosks are making GE rather useless nowadays... In general, the Trusted Traveler program is not great as it used to be since the Pre-Check program is becoming a joke too.

Flyer1976, foxberg, Espan and 3 others like this.
  9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was the problem. I flew in on an AF A380 and although my luggage was marked Priority, it didn't come off anywhere near first. Lumped in with all 400+ bags!

jbcarioca and foxberg like this.