Who is aiming for a Lifetime Status?

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by daedalus, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. daedalus
    Original Member

daedalus Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a Frequent Flyer that has achieved Lifetime Silver, I have my sights set on Lifetime Gold. The downside is that this task probably has a few years to run yet.

Anyone else aiming for a Lifetime Status?

2. Ewing
    Original Member

Ewing Active Member

Status Points:
    Nope. If I get it, I get it. If I don't, I don't.

Based on current trends I'm about a year off LTS and probably 5 off LTG assuming the goal posts don't move. LTS is really worthless these days so LTG would be the only one I care about.

wingspan and trippin_the_rift like this.
  3. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm 2 years off LTG, although with the consistant downward spiral of benefits in the past 10 years for ALL frequent flyers I most certainly will not 'aim' to get LTG.

There are other carriers which are far superior in almost every sense than QF.

Chimpy likes this.
  4. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't be quite so scathing about LTS. Whether it's worth it will depend a lot on what you're doing.

On the trip that I'm about to do, I'm going to be making maximum use of the 10 kg extra baggage allowance. In theory, that could cost me $500 for LHR-SYD, $100 each way across the Tasman, and $100 on each of the three Australian domestics I'm doing. (I'm flying back to London on BA, on which I have no excess baggage issues.)

I know that not all of this would be collected, but a starting point of saving $1,000 of excess baggage charges on one trip ascribes at least some value to LTS.

For a few years, I dual qualified for OWS status (BA Silver, QF Gold) until I'd reached LTS, then stopped. For the long run, I'm quite glad that I did - even though as it happens I would have got the additional baggage allowance anyway via my "wasted" QC membership, for which see another thread.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Already have it. A few years ago when private equity was sniffing around I was worried QF would copy SQ and abolish lifetime status (grandfathering those who already had it) so I did a double RTW to complete qualification of lifetime gold status.

brinkers likes this.
  6. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    talk about a mileage run!

drewbles likes this.
  7. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now I am jealous [​IMG]

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. Ewing
    Original Member

Ewing Active Member

Status Points:
    I suppose that is true. It can have benefits in some situations.

For me; most of my flying is domestic (I did ~1,800 SCs of Australian domestic CY2010) and the only times I checked baggage was when connecting to an international flight besides one business trip where I was gone for 8 days.

If I didn't already have status LTS certainly wouldn't have helped with any of those flights. LTG would have though.

10. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to get LTG , or even LTP ( if it exists ). Just over 50% way to LTS so have a whole lot of flying and probably the dreaded SC runs to get there ;)

11. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    per my sig am 80% to LTG - about 2700 SCs off. Have around 500 booked until June so slowly creeping closer.
    My SCs are a combination of work trips (primarily dom in Y, with a few J SE Asia), a few personal trips, and 3 self-funded optimised DONEs flown in the last 5yrs

12. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    LTG is not on my radar but LTS is. Will have to see what happens to the program before I worry about LTG

Jeff

13. ariadne
    Original Member

ariadne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to confess to being stuck on that treadmill. Good thing is that when I achieve the goal I can get off the treadmill. I imagine that will be quite liberating [​IMG]

Chimpy and kiwi like this.
  14. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes it is. I now fly OW only when it suits best knowing I have OWS status regardless. Having said that I still clock up a reasonable amount of OW travel (no point having the status if not going to use it).

15. Nicko

Nicko Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to get LTG, If my flying this year is the same as last year then I will reach LTS at the end of the year. So maybe 3-4 years afterwards I'd get LTG (all based on my current flying patterns)

Chimpy likes this.
  16. QF029
    Original Member

QF029 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given that annual PS requirements have been reduced, shouldn't there be a reduction in the points required for LTS?

17. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been LTG for a couple of years; never thought I'd manage it until I can across Forums Like Australian Frequent Flyer and Flyertalk.

Last month I ticked over 20,000 LT SC's. (This does not include the 200+ Qantas flights I took 1994-1996)

drewbles and brinkers like this.
  18. ariadne
    Original Member

ariadne Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well on your way to Lifetime Platinum (should it actually exist!)[​IMG]

19. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't realise QF tracked SC's after you achieved LTG. I hit 14,000 SC's sometime back in 2002 I think and after that I stopped counting.

With UA, when you blow past 1 Million Miles BIS, the counter still keeps going. I'm glad I have LTG in a OW program and a *A program - means you don't have to worry about requalifying each and every year.

20. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    QF stops displaying counters at LTG & Platinum Partner Gold. I think a few of us hope there is a hidden LTP at 28k status credits.

I'm still trying to figure out which *A program to aim for lifetime status with. 1 million BIS with UA does not appeal!

21. Nicole Blaess-Smith
    Original Member

Nicole Blaess-Smith Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm keen to get Lifetime Silver by 2012 or 2013. It is a while off but I tend to use points to fly internationally and just pay for domestic flights (generally between ADL -> MLB which doesn't accumulate that much status).

22. I'm about 18 months away from LTG at my current earning rate, and if possible, I might try to hit it sooner.

Only done one OW MR so far in my QF career fortunately and that was largely because I was flying loads with *A and I was worried they would not provide a soft landing. I'm not really keen to do another if at all possible, so 18 months it might have to be!

In my case, I'm planning to dump QFF as soon as I hit the target and then aim for either EXP or BA Gold simply because the QF programme is so miserly.

bluesky and Globaliser like this.
  23. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Aiming for LTG is the only thing keeping me with QF, actually; I'm at 5000 life SCs after about 4 years serious flying, so LTG is definitely on the (distant) horizon.

If it wasn't for this ephemeral carrot, I would have jumped ship to AA last year - and if the next enhancement is removal of LTG, I will be gone in a heartbeat :)

24. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've debated (and kind of still am) whether I should continue flying QF after LTG. With the recent enhancements, fare increases, fuel levies, etc., QF aren't making a very good case for themselves...

Having said that, I'm against the idea of LTP. It's not so much, 'it's another thing to aim for' for me. I just think the LTP will need to be at such a high level, very few will ever get it. If they do, QF can probably take care of these people with unofficial/unwritten benefits anyway. They already have ways to identify the heavy WPs. If I was QF, I'd rather have these people re-qualifying for WP each year, rather than getting to LTP then hardly fly QF afterwards. I can see removing of 'anytime access' paving the way for a LTP level though.

Having a LTP level will not make me want to fly QF any more than I do now.

25. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    If a lifetime platinum level existed, I would be unlikely to go for it - at my current earn rate I would be getting toward the end of my flying days anyway. I do agree, though, that the removal of Anytime Access may clear the way for such a level.

In any case, at the moment, I view gold as the sweet spot in the program. It gets me lounge access and a reasonable ability to redeem award flights. In fact, the only thing I really miss about platinum is the extra status points that came with it.