Who here travels with checked-in bags and why?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by janyyc, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been wondering...
    I always try to travel with carry-on only, for trips up to 14 days. Sure, it's some washing in the hotel, but it simplifies trains, planes, security, and everything else.
    What do you guys do? :confused:

eightblack and Monkey Girl like this.
  2. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do. Especially when commuting between Canada & Hong Kong (i.e. commuting from one home to another & one work to another). But usually just one check-in bags between the two of us.

lin821 likes this.
  3. I always check my bag to give the ground staff an opportunity to steal valuables and receive a love letter from TSA going through my dirty undies.

I just find it adds stress to the boarding process to stow for myself and other passengers. I don't have to worry about sharps or liquids I may have forgotten about. It gives an opportunity to talk to people you met on the plane in the baggage area :)

Saving time a the airport really only exists for George Clooney, who didn't endure backscatter radar.

joesmoe, charlilo and Monkey Girl like this.
  4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Carry-on for 99% of business travel, up to that two-week mark. Usually my Red Oxx Air Boss, so I have no wheels to worry about, just ultra-light carry-on.

For vacations I tend to check luggage as there is just too much stuff to haul (my camera gear tends to fill up my carry-on capacity already, and things get far worse if I'm carrying my dive gear, too). For those trips, I really need to get me a Rimowa ...

5. Exit Row
    Original Member

Exit Row Silver Member

Status Points:
    Very rarely do I check a bag for business travel unless I'm finishing an engagement or starting with a new client in a new city.

Vacations - always.

6. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't get a Rimowa for check-in bags... It doesn't look good after a few check-ins... Get one for carry on! ;)

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't mind a few dents ... it adds character! ;)

8. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    Unless I'm on a multi-week business trip I don't check bags. For vacation I never check. Only time I've checked bags recently was the ugly time after the underwear bomber.

9. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the last two years or so, always check in now, even for Business. Only ON-two days do I do carry on.

fighting for space for carry on is just ludicris these days....

10. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trying to take the kitchen sink onboard is an american thing... seriously if it doesn't fit in a small bag just check the damn thing. It only adds 10mins to the entire process and you don't need to fight for space or have your hands full the entire time at the airport.

samh004 likes this.
  11. SVJ
    Original Member

SVJ Silver Member

Status Points:
    We always do carry on but had an interesting incident recently....
    On trip in F thru Muc. was asked for passports while on plane before take off. When i asked ground staff why...they said it was strange to have no checked luggage on such a long trip. Staff came back with passports in a few minutes and we were on our way.
    Somebody is doing security checks on passengers!

ACMM likes this.
  12. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually check in a bag, and I don't feel it's to much hassle... 2 minutes in Business/First check-in. For me it's more a convenience as I like to go around the airports baggage-free. Only for long haul would I bring a carry-on with my laptop and some stuff. Usually I just toss my laptop in the check-in as well, never had any damage or anything.
    For a weekend trip I would go with carry-on only.
    I don't know if the SK*G-tags (I realise this is ACforum but felt this was more a general topic :)) give me any priority or not, but since I put them on my bag's been one of the first on the belt.. And the rare occasions my bag gets lost I'll go nuts in the airport stores and make my travel-insurance cover it :D

cockpitvisit and Bob Smolinsky like this.
  13. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed - same for me for business - never check unless forced to - even up to 2-week mark for me also. 2 RImowa bags here. For our vacations - honking huge RImowa - 1 for the two of us. Has to get check as it would fit 2 FAs! Rimowa rocks across the board!

janyyc likes this.
  14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    If my trips are more than 2 weeks long, I am likely to check my bag as it will be too big -- also on the return, I need room for stuff I buy for myself and family/friends. Only other times I have had to check my bag is in Europe, where they tell me the bag is too big/heavy for carry-on[​IMG].

15. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    80% check in my bag
    20% travel with carry on

16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check-in is the easy part. Waiting for luggage takes much longer, especially at YYZ, whereas now (with Nexus) I can get from the gate to my car in about 10 minutes. And then there is the risk of lost or misdirected luggage ...
    Oh, yes, the sight of people trying to force over-packed soft-side suitcases into the overheads is ridiculous. But I pack light, and use a soft bag (see photo), and even the regional jet overheads are OK for me.
    [​IMG]

tahewett likes this.
  17. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always carry on if I have space up front; otherwise it is a decision based on # of connections, interlining etc. Having had bags not arrive on a direct flight makes one more committed to deciding, "do I need this or just want it". Will buy a cheapo piece of luggage to bring back gifts if the deals are awesome and the recipients worthy!

18. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bags checked-in always complicates things a lot when you accidentally get a super tight connection due to delays... :p

19. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    5 days+ normally gets a checked bag unless I'm somewhere with easy access to laundry facilities.

For my domestic turns I've got a 4 year old XCase that looks like its been through a war. After all this raving about Rimowa I think I may need one when I replace the XCase.

20. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I almost always check in my bags. I hate the travel sizes of all the toiletries and when i tired packing the smaller sizes they were always running out on me. That being said, i could write a book about the lost luggage stories and it would be a great read![​IMG]

21. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that is one difference between you and I! [​IMG] Rost Ruggage? Not for me Shaggy! [​IMG]

22. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm - so I guess I'm on the extreme of not ever checking any bags? :p

23. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent - your staff does that for you don't they? [​IMG]

torbster likes this.
  24. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to check in and then the staff at YYZ misplaced my luggage on a connection. Never again after that unless over 7 days.

25. Cage
    Original Member

Cage Silver Member

Status Points:
    In check in one bag when I am on vacation with the Mrs. Beyond that vacations over 7 days I will check in. All vacations less than 5 days are carryon. Only exception for vacation less than 7 days where I checked a bag was to attend a wedding in YYT, needed to bring along a suit.

When I met my wife I took her to The Bay to pick out a carry on. Years later she almost peed herself laughing through "Up in The Air" with the J Clooney/A Kendrik scene.

For Business its 90% carryon. Some exceptions occur when I am on a 1 month job. Even then I check in one bag at the start of the trip and leave it with most of my clothes at destination (hotels will keep it over the weekend) and then commute with my carryon. Other exceptions include when there is an "experiental exercise" at training course requiring extra gear than standard biz casual clothes. Finally, on occasion at my former job the admin staff would intercept my Fedex package with additonal work related items (printer, scanner, prior years file, etc.) and deny my request to Fedex to client, thus forcing me to check the package. Thankfully I no longer work for a cheap boss. Second checked bag fees and the printer cartridge restriction has given me lots more reasons to have the item sent Fedex.