Who else brings a wifi router with them to hotels?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by S6_Driver, Jan 17, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. S6_Driver

S6_Driver Member

Status Points:
    When I am traveling I will generally carry a small Netgear router with me. This has a few purposes, first quite often end up with a room at the end of the hall and the hotel wifi signal there SUCKS! In this situation, I plug my router into the hard wired internet connection in the room and then I have solid reliable wifi.

Second, I tend to either travel with my family or with multiple devices. The router is the connection to the hotel network, so that means all the other devices we bring with us don't have to authenticate!

I have also used it to do things like use a Chromecast on a hotel TV, or share files with a co-worker two rooms away. Anyone else do the same? If you have other reasons for doing so, what are they?

Lionell, uggboy and iolaire like this.
  2. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bring a freedom pop device for 500 Mb of free cell phone data per month (so I don't need to connect to the pay hotel WiFi):
    http://www.freedompop.com/offer/prhotspot
    I have the older style puck that is based on the CLEAR network, I think that is gone or will be gone so I'll need to buy a new puck like the one on the website so I get G4/G3 access.

I also use the freedompop iPhone - for data - I don't really use it as a cell phone. Their cell phone service is VOIP.

As with any freemium service they make money by the little things, so customer service is hard to get ahold of and its easy for you to get charged if you do things like sign up for free offers and then forget to change back to the free plan. I think the customer service is hard to reach but generally does the right thing once you reach them.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
    Lionell, anileze and uggboy like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I travel with a 4G MIFI device. Most of the time I cannot take advantage of the free WIFI in hotels if there is a login plage. I cant get to webpages until I connect to Juniper and I cannot connect to Juniper until I have an internet connection...

uggboy likes this.
  4. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to do that, especially when travelling overseas. I have a D-Link DIR-412 which for the time was very compact and great when many hotels didn't have wifi at all or just in the lobby areas. But as you say, you could plugin to the hardwired network and use as many devices as you want.

The DIR-412 has a 3G dongle port so I was also able to share mobile data. I now have 4G MIFI / Pocket WIFI device I use domestically (or tether my phone with hotspot). I suspect most people do the same but using a router still has merits if you want to avoid roaming data charges or multiple hotel charges.

uggboy likes this.
  5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is interesting..... I thought routers had to be configured. But some will "plug and play" into a hotel's hard wired connection?

uggboy likes this.
  6. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Once it and your devices are setup (before you travel), it's usually pretty straight forward. Plugin the hotel cable, open a browser on your laptop or mobile device and you get the hotels normal login / authentication page. Once you've activated network access, all devices should work without having to go through separate activation (and payment!).

You can test the concept at home by plugging your portable router into a port of your home router to access the internet in much the same way.

uggboy and vickers like this.
  7. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any recommended travel ones that people have used successfully and are portable?

uggboy likes this.
  8. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    What percentage of recently-built hotels have in-room Ethernet ports for internet?

uggboy and SYD like this.
  9. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a very good question. I meant to add to one of my comments that I have seen some hotels where the LAN port was no longer used/not connected.

Still, if it is a hotel that someone is familiar with and knows that there is a cable connection that can be faster and/or more cost effective, then it is still a good option if tethering your phone/MIFI device isn't possible (eg roaming).

Plus, some of the newer portable routers will allow you to connect to a public wifi network and use that as your internet access for your private wifi network.

A quick Google search found this article that should be of use to anyone interested:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2150...y-a-secure-wi-fi-network-almost-anywhere.html

I also read that someone uses a spare Apple Airport Express. They're reasonably compact.

uggboy likes this.
  10. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like that newer type would be the wiser choice for anyone in the market for such a device.

uggboy and SYD like this.
  11. scm53

scm53 Active Member

Status Points:
    I too carry an Apple Airport Express with me. Nice to know my computer isn't open to being compromised by being on a shared wifi net. Downside is, it isn't usually any faster. Apparently the limitation is the ground connection in most hotels.

uggboy likes this.
  12. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  13. dmel

dmel Gold Member

Status Points:
    vickers and uggboy like this.