Who decides how many SkyMiles you get?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Dovster, Sep 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are flying on a SkyTeam partner, is it Delta or the partner who decides how many SkyMiles you earn?

I have an upcoming itinerary on Czech Air, and got a fantastic price for it, but it is an "N" fare and according to the SkyMiles chart it earns no miles or MQMs at all.

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would assume the program you are crediting the miles to. If you credit to Delta, they would decide.

3. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the accrual rules are based upon negotiation between each two partners.

Although it hurts me to say "Flying Blue", a Czech N earns 50% in that program. This is marginally better than 0 SkyMiles.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is my understanding as well, and that if a fare doesn't earn, it's the marketing/operating carrier that made that decision, not DL.

5. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    All true above and sadly, it seems for all Skyteam Euro based carriers, they give 0 miles and 0 segments for all lowest fares buckets on alliance metal flights.............ie OK will give 0 and 0 for KL lowest buckets as well.

6. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Basically, its what the operating carrier is willing to pay to the mileage program. They do actually have to buy the miles for your flight, and on some of the really cheap fares, don't want to pay anything for them.

7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's because you earn no miles if your Czech bounces.