Who buys luggage at an airport?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Jun 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Whether it's a quick business trip or a two-week vacation, most every traveler leaves for the airport with a carry-on bag or suitcase to be checked that is filled with clothing, toiletries and other items that might be useful on the trip.

So who's buying all that luggage for sale at airports?

Travelers like Los Angeles-based freelance writer Sue Facter. When the zipper on her tote bag broke on the return leg of a business trip, she planned to just "wing it" until she got home and had time to transfer her travel essentials to another bag. "However, I was in an airport gift shop buying a newspaper and a gorgeous leather tote with lots of pockets caught my eye," said Facter. "Not only was it chic, it was on sale for $75. To this day, it is my favorite tote. I use it so much, I just replaced the zipper."

Read More: http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2013/06/19/who-buys-luggage-at-an-airport/2436133/
    edekba, zpaul and uggboy like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

For the same reason I bought a pillow at a truck stop in the Texas panhandle at 2am one September morning. Because I needed it. Seriously I always think the same thing. I guess if your bag broke or you have a worn out bag and see one you fall in love with. That or if your a novice flyer and Ryan Bingham makes you :)
    zpaul, Gargoyle, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

I once saw a guy running through EWR when both wheels came right out of his bag. After a few choice words, he set a direct course for the luggage store. I buy Briggs & Riley exclusively, specifically for the quality and warranty. There was a time in my life when I went through 10 Swatch (I think that's the name) bags from Target every year, eventually I smartened up and realized that spending $400 on a bag was actually worth it and justifiable.
    rockyrock, edekba, daninstl and 3 others like this.
  4. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

In my early days of international travel I was a bit (ahem) over the weight limit on a QF flight SYD-LAX. I don't know about now, but back then they didn't let you pay more to be over the limit, you had to take things out, redistribute and re-check, so I had to buy a small bag at the airport. Lesson learned.
    deltagoldLass, edekba and daninstl like this.
  5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Or you could just do Costco route :) ...
  6. rockyrock

rockyrock Silver Member

I went through the same thing. I bought a 22" and 25" Samsonite hard-side luggage and it lasted for about eight years. I never expected it to last that long, I was pleasantly surprised. There was a time I was traveling quite a bit for work and it took a beating; the hard case doesn't flex when it gets tossed around by those b@$t@rd$ in luggage handling. I finally ended up replacing it with some soft-side but still full framed luggage. Another $500 but well worth it so far.
    zpaul and webdes03 like this.