Who are we?

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by Captainfire, Mar 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Captainfire
    Original Member

Captainfire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems like alot of us have migrated from 'the dark side' over here, or maybe just dubbledipping like me. Somehow this forum seems to be a bit more alive then on FT.

Something i've always missed over there is a 'who are we/what do we do' type thread, so wouldn't it be nice to have one here?

I'll start. 21yr old lazy marketing/economics student from Vasa, Finland. Been in the miles & points game for about a year now, so i'm still a newbie. Obviously all my travel is out of my own pocket, but FT still made it possible to get out and about every month or so.

Alright ,next up.

2. SK2868
    Original Member

SK2868 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Allright!
    I'm 22 years, and I work as a cinema technician in Bergen, Norway. I've been a EB-member since '06, but got serious in the m&p game about a year ago, and finally turned gold a couple of weeks ago. I fly abit for work around the country, but as I don't earn miles on that, all of my EB-travels are out of my own pocket as well. I, like yourself have at least one trip abroad every month... :)

OY-JFS likes this.
  3. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting initiative! I'm 25 yrs old and based out of Oslo. I'm in finance working for a british/swedish joint-venture, meaning that I have about 2-4 flights every week within Scandinavia, plus some intra-eu and long-haul. I'm also a student, pursuing a master's degree in law at the uni of Oslo, but that's another (boring) story. :)

Back in the days, you had to be 18 in order to enroll in EuroBonus, so I reached EBG "only" when I was 19. :p I've been EBG ever since and picked up some more precious metal along the way...

I'm absolutely fascinated by the world. Travel is not an interest nor an addiction, it's what makes me, me.

jbcarioca and OY-JFS like this.
  4. HerrO
    Original Member

HerrO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well - I am 34 years old and based in CPH. I have been a EB member since 2000 and EBG for the last 4 years. Currently my travel pattern is Intra EU where my work is to be a change manager for a large transportation company. I am having projects in 34 countries which give me 50-60 travel days per year. This combined with a personal interest - like Robbiedeluxe - to see the world. So try as often as possible to travel and are happy to spend a weekend in NRT or SEA. Distance is not a problem :) Like to be in the sky to be on the way somewhere.

Have also joint the SMDI and SMDII and other DO's and this have showed me alot and meeting up friends with the same interest.

/HerrO

5. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Me? Oh, I'm usually not one that like to mix private life with online life, but I think MP is changing that so here goes;

I'm 30 summers old and I'm based in CPH. Been here for the last 10 years, but was originally from the AAR area.
    In spite of my relatively young age I am head of a clinical development department in a biotech company, so I have around 16 employees to send out for traveling - only 5-6 of them travels frequently though, but I am trying to encourage good travel patterns :)
    Truth be told I am the only one that really cares about traveling so I am also the travel guide guide for my department. Sadly, I control the budget also so I cannot squeeze in much else than low economy and defend that to the CFO.

I travel to the clinics that perform the clinical studies for us and we are running them in 17 different countries throughout the world (North- and South America, Europe and Asia), so that's where I clog the majority of my miles. Other than that I travel with my girlfriend 2-3 times per year (we're in the pre-kid phase where we must travel far away every time because there will be no option for that in a few years with kid(s).)

I have still to attend my first DO, but I am looking forward to my first - wherever that may be.

This is my openflights that I have been updating since the end of 2009: http://www.openflights.org/user/SirRagnar

6. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    They say I'm turning 50 by the end of this month, but my dietitian last Thursday claimed I was only 43 that day :D. If you click on my avatar it says I'm from Oslo, but that is not exactly right. I'm living at the old and now closed Oslo Airport, Fornebu, close to the Koksa maintenance hangars for those of you familiar with the site. Last September I experienced a funny episode. A countryman of SirRagnar in his early 60s asked me where the airport was and I answered as true was that he had to drive 60 km to get there and it has been like that for the last 12 years. His reply was "Hvad fanden siger de?" He was supposed to meet up with three family members flying in on a SAS machine from Kastrup :).

I've been with Eurobonus since it started in 1992, and at times a noble metal has been attached to the card. These days I'm just a basic holder of the card. I have been following SAS since the 1970s and over time has been very familiar with their DC-9s, Friendships, F-50s, MD-80/90s, B737s, Q400s, ARJs, A321s, B763s, the only A332 (leased from bmi for the Summer season 2001), CRJ1/2s and latest arrival, the CRJ9 was sampled in May during an ash detour from BRU to CPH (the first row seats are really overrated on the CRJ9) after having traveled with the Eurostar from Ashford. My favorite SAS aircraft will for ever be the DC-9-21, closer to being in a rocket you could never get in a normal passenger plane.

The last six-seven years I have managed the IT department of a veterinary pharmaceutical company with sites in Norway, UK, Chile and Vietnam. Before that I've been monitoring contractors performance of a large industrial development, worked with the manufacture of high explosives until the cold war ended, participated in CALS workgroups within NATO, been a traveling QA manager in a global pharmaceutical company, worked in the U.S. to save American jobs, managed the product information for the eastern hemisphere of a global veterinarian pharmaceutical company and in between these jobs I've met the wall a couple of times.

These days I don't travel a lot work wise - just infrequent visits to our sites around the world. In the spare time it's a bit different with a couple hundred flights the last years with the aim to fly with different aircraft types and different airlines to different airports. Sometimes it's also enough for me when the aircraft leave and land at the same airfield as long as the aircraft is really old and rear (like flying a short round trip in a De Havilland Dragon Rapide from the 1930s) or even better being old, rear and fly a full acrobatic programme (seat 0B in Fokker S.11 Instructor flying Delta over Flevoland last Summer - blue colours down, green colours up and no greenish complexion after the flight like the German passenger in the Alpha position - only the air bubbles this hot Summer day was enough for him :p).

Hobbies: British Aviation history, Single Malt Whisky, Photography

7. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    40+ years and based in the Stockholm/Arlanda area. I worked within the travel industry 10 years ago, but nowadays I am IT, project management and business management consultant in my own company. EB-member since 1997, first years as silver but last three as gold. Most of my work travel is domestic and intra-europe, but as I book the tickets myself I have a fair amount of influence on the reservations... [​IMG] With some private travel on top of that, and some conferences, it adds up to 2-4 roundtrips per month.

I've not yet made it to any frequent flyer DOs - but hope to be able to join SMD3 this fall! (Maybe we could also arrange a smaller scale scandinavian meetup during 2011?) Interests, apart from flying/travelling, include food, drinks, music, long distance running and all sorts of fun IT-stuff.

8. BGO-commuter
    Original Member

BGO-commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

After lurking for several years on FT and Scanair, I've finally registered here :)
    I'm happy to see a place with a lighter tone and humor, and I'm looking forward to contribute!

I'm in my early 30's, and I'm living in Bergen, Norway. I'm working in the IT business, and this job requiring heavy commuting. Currently, I have 100+ Norway domestic commutes + a few intercont travels pr. year. I started as a frequent flier with Braathens, and loved their flair. After the SK takeover, I've been a member since 2003, and a EBG since 2007. From April, I will join the flanks as a Pandion member, and I'll try to provide the same level of enjoyment as RSJ and OSL_commuter has given us the last few years.

FT, Scanair, and now MilePoint have provided me with a lot of insight, laughs and information, and I hope i can contribute as a valuable member of this forum in the future.

jbcarioca, OY-JFS, SirRagnar and 3 others like this.
  9. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, another "bergenser" here... :)

37 years, married, one son at 16 (and yes, my husband is his father... :))... Started with being an Eurobonus member when we were students in Trondheim, 17 years ago. Continued being very lojal to SAS when I commuted between Bergen and Manchester (however a REAL pain as there were no direct flight, they shut it down the year before) for a year. In the end of our year abroad Norwegian opened BGO-MAN and I got return tickets for 400 Nkr! (Norwegian shut down the route after one season, or maybe two...)

After being on a plane at least once a week it became an obsession to travel.... [​IMG] Luckily both my husbands work and mine included some travel and since I was (and am, but in a different field now) self employed I could do as I wanted (eeeeh.... as long as I never went away for more than 1-2 weeks, worked like crazy the days before/after, carried my laptop and mobile all over, answered e-mails, etc... etc... ) AND I could choose the hotels and airlines myself. [​IMG] Luckily my husbands work never cares as long as the expences in below the "governements rate".

Some years ago I found FT and I realized I could reach silver/gold with KLM although flying only monkey business. I then changed from SAS to KLM. Yes, I know it is now possible at SAS too, but I really don't want to use the time to "climb" as long as I already have my gold card with KLM (I have asked SAS for a status-match, but they didn't even understand what it was...) I was VERY happy for my gold-card when the ash-cloud was all over Europe. Getting first in the queues (there were queues for everything....) and priority at fully booked flights. It also looks like there are few Norwegian Elites as my upgrade rate to/from Norway has been quite high (compared to those who has never gotten an upgrade at all with KLM). I have also been upgraded to/from AMS and also intercontinental. Last week when flying KLM I came to think that maybe my membership in BlueBiz gave me an extra ticket in the upgrade lottery? (The flight attendant said it was said in her papers that I was a corporate.)

Because I don't travel that much I, last year, decided to concentrate my hotel-nights at one chain. I didn't research that much before I went with PiorityClub and bought the Ambassador membership. In the beginning of December I was upgraded to RA and I am now pondering if I will manange to keep my status after August, my end of the Ambassador year. I would assume 65-70 nights would do it, but with that program (the most frustrating) you never know... Grrrrrr....

As said, I am self-employed. My last job (also as self-employed) made me travel, mostly within Europe, but also some times to the US and one time to Japan. With my new job, which I haven't officially started yet, I will be traveling a lot to Asia. The first trip is in April to Hong kong and Taiwan (and maybe mainland China). When the trip was booked it was as Mrs. no-backpacker having holiday while Mr. no-backpacker should work, but things change... :)

My favorite country is Japan and the place I do not want to go back to is India.... (For the same reasons, I am a clean-freak... [​IMG])

I am still having my Eurobonus card as I sometimes use SAS. I also collect miles with my Diners-card. I rarely use the miles and when I do it is mostly within Scandinavia. However I still have around 70.000 miles but do not know what to do with them... :) The same goes for KLM, although I have never used miles with KLM. [​IMG]

Have a fantastic day! In Bergen it is the usual weather: Windy and rain, with some occational snowflakes... YEY!

Xxx.

jbcarioca, OY-JFS, kblaur and 2 others like this.
  10. Captainfire
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Really nice to see so many people writing lengthy answers about themselves! I feel like i should write a bit more about myself now..

I also second the idea of a scandinavian/EB meet during 2011, maybe a weekend in Stockholm or Copenhagen this spring?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. pseudoswede
    Original Member

pseudoswede Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got tricked into marrying a Swede, so I now spend 4 weeks every summer swimming in a frigid lake and losing dozens of golf balls into the forests. For a long while, I foolishly split up my miles earnings between SK and UA, but now have concentrated it all on UA (although it's a moot point given I only get 25% earned miles). Believe it or not, SK is still my preferred carrier to/from Sweden because of the early arrival time, use of a widebody jet, and children discounts; hence, why I visit this forum every once in a while.

jbcarioca and SirRagnar like this.
  12. Gnopps
    Original Member

Gnopps Silver Member

Status Points:
    So, 31 years old Swede who moved to Finland to marry a Finn and am now on paternity leave. I studied HR at the university in my home town Lund and got my degree in work psychology. However, having been a member of FT for many years I never got in to that line of work but instead realised I wanted to work in the travel business. So I moved to DUB for a while, working at a call center for a big SK partner. Thanks to FT I was quickly promoted but left after a year to try my luck in Finland. I now work as a travel agent at a corporate travel agency here and though pretty fluent I am still struggling to be able to write Finnish error free.

Almost all my travel is paid by myself. The few times I have work-related travel it is usually staff discounted stand-by tickets earning no miles at all. I used to be all SK & Star but when they changed the program a few years ago and introduced P-class I changed to Skyteam and OK Plus for the free upgrades. Back when we lived apart my wife used to complain that I was always semi-drunk when I came to visit her in HEL. Since golds are always upgraded if there is a free seat I used to get upgraded DUB-PRG and then PRG-HEL with pre dinner drink + wine + baileys on both legs. :)

Nowadays I don't fly OK as much any more. Most flights are HEL-CPH/STO/BGO to visit friends and family, usually paid with EB points that I get from Diners. I try to make one or two segment runs to USA time & money permitting. Thanks to the AF premium economy mistake fare a few weeks ago SJC-Western USA I've got an 8 segment trip booked in September with a friend. I hope to expand it to be 30 segments in 9 days (trip report will follow) but we will say what the family finance board decides next week when the bill have been paid, wish me luck!

I prefer Openflights over FM, here you go! http://openflights.org/user/Gnopps

13. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Professional and personal obligations have me in and out of ARN, CPH and OSL in about that order in terms of volume.

Relative to my participation in other airline "loyalty" programs, I barely use SK's program while most of my SK flight credits have been parked in other airline programs. About my only use for SK's program is for some selective partner activity and some intra-region redemption.

14. OSL_Commuter
    Original Member

OSL_Commuter Silver Member

Status Points:
    As my nick indicates, I commute to OSL from GOT and have done for the past 4 years, close to 5 now. I joined EB in 1996 and have been EBG since 1999 and EBP since 2010.
    When I gained EBP I tried to increase my volume with SAS in order to retain that and then I lost status Gold with BA. Right now, my travel pattern seems to get me back to BA Gold, without sacrificing any business with SAS which I think has a good product (value for money in Y). It just so happens that BA has direct services to destinations that I need to go to and SAS with *A is not a viable alternative. If they were, I would choose SAS as I like their product!

15. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    What's stopping you? :)

jbcarioca, OY-JFS and Gnopps like this.
  16. Captainfire
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As been mentioned before, laziness :D

No but seriously, i guess i was kind of born into this miles business, my father works for a large finnish company and used to have 200 days away each year mostly in asia, and this was before companies started blocking C class for their employees. So the holidays were good atleast.

I've also lived in England for a period of my life, which i where my aviation interest started growing. Living under one of the flightpaths into LHR (albeit 30 miles away) may have had something to do with it, watching planes flying by every 90 seconds may have triggered something in me..

Anyway, in the future i hope i'm working in the aviation/hospitality industry, pref. in a position with loads of flying. So if anyone have such a job going...Hellooo! :D

jbcarioca and SirRagnar like this.
  17. 47, ARN-area. Travel mainly in the southern hemisphere, when international development cooperation is my field of work. Always felt a little bit stupid on FT - lets see what happens here [​IMG]

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. OY-JFS
    Original Member

OY-JFS Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am 36 and from CPH. Unmarried. EuroBonus member since 1996, EBG 2001-2006, LH SEN 2003-2007. OZ*G 2007-. My favorite airlines are SK, LX, BA, OZ, SQ.
    I work as an independant trader. All my travel is paid out of my own pocket, and I usually combine business and pleasure. I have been loyal to *A since forever, but could be moving to OW...? I have bases in SDU and CPH, but I have 3-6 trips a year to Asia (HKG/PVG/BKK).

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a 51-year old Norwegian living near Atlanta who has been in-and-out of the airline business for the past 30 years. Currently working on the tech side for a Norwegian regional carrier with a green logo. This internet-thingy has really worked out well for me, despite SAS' predictions that it wouldn't last.

I don't currently have any status, but as any good Atlantan, I was Gold Medallion for a few years. These days I mostly travel on non-earning booking classes. ;)

Attended SMD 1.

OY-JFS and jbcarioca like this.
  20. Erik

Erik Active Member

Status Points:
    I´m 30 from Norway. Currently living in Bergen. EBG travelling mostly Norway<->US. CEO for an IT company and trying to find the time taking the pilot license. One day, one day... [​IMG]

OY-JFS and jbcarioca like this.
  21. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bergenserne ruler! (Sorry, that *had* to be in Norwegian...:))

Xxx

SK2868 and Erik like this.
  22. I am 28 years. Working with IT in finances as a consultant. I divide my week between Malmö and Stockholm, this and my job accumulate quite a few trips. Sadly almost all my flights are short haul intra Scandinavia, but on the bright note one hour is just enough time for champagne! :D

OY-JFS likes this.
  23. Someone
    Original Member

Someone Silver Member

Status Points:
    27 year old from Oslo. After graduating with a finance degree (MSc) from CBS 2,5 years ago I've been mainly working with solar energy since. Have recently increased my business travel to almost once a week, unfortunatly doing mostly domestic runs, mainly OSL-KRS, so not much Eurobonus point coming in there. Manage to get my girlfriend "addicted" to miles, so must be doing something right.
    Living at Bislett in Oslo at the moment and beside my passion for travel, I'm a quite dedicated skier. Both down hill and cross country. Besides playing football at the very low level at the very bottom of the league system here in Norway. And also more than average interested in food and wine ;)