Which would you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by LAM, Sep 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure this is in the right place. I may need 21,000 US airways miles for a reward ticket. Would you try for a second US Airways Mastercard (have heard they are getting tougher on this) or take 20,000 SPG points and get 25000 US Airways miles. I probably can get the credit card in my next churn if Barclays will let me have two. I am anticipating using the 10000 miles anniversary points in this reward so I don't want to close the orginial MC. This is for a coach seat to Asia for my partner so we can travel together. I have enough UR and United points/miles for my ticket.

Sweet Willie and marcwint55 like this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would probably transfer from SPG rather than start a whole new credit card for only 20,000 miles. Alternatively, you could purchase 10,000 miles from US Air (before 9/30) and get the 20,000 you need for $350. Only you can decide if it is worth it.

Oh yeah - and Bon Voyage

marcwint55 likes this.
  3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're set on using miles, 20K SPG is worth so much more than the $377 US is selling 10K + 10K until 9/30. I'd buy the miles.

How much is a coach seat to Asia the days you're looking at?

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree with keeping the SPG miles. They are valuable. Buy the miles before month end.

edekba and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input.

This right now is a very future trip either fall of 2013 or January 2014. So I do have time to add points other ways. Hopefully there will be another Grandslam or some other promotion. We are looking at Thailand which would be between $1300-1500 or Thailand and Bali which would be over $2500 which is out of our budget. So especially if we do the Thailand/Bali trip you can see why I want to use miles.

6. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    many are hoping, keep the hope vibes alive !!
    you can always consider just getting to an Asian gateway city then either redeeming a 'cheaper' inter-Asia award or purchase a discount Asian airline ticket to Bali/DPS. Back when I was a UA guy, I'd purchase to SIN, then redeem for an award on SQ SIN-DPS.

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also the other way around ... on US Airways, North Asia is a cheaper award than South Asia. North Asia goes as far south as Hong Kong, where you can connect down to Thailand (cheap fifth freedoms on HKG-BKK) and Bali.

I don't know the award chart off the top of my head, but in Business it's 90K North Asia/120K South Asia and in First it's 120K North Asia/160K South Asia. I did a recent trip where I split it into two awards, one LAX-HKG and the other within South Asia, and bought a connecting flight between HKG-BKK. Instead of paying 160K for First, I paid 120K in First to HKG, then 30K in Business within South Asia, so for a ticket between HKG-BKK, I saved 10K miles and added another destination.

8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amazing, some friends just called and were asking about getting to Bali using miles. They have to get back with me about how many miles they actually have between the two of them but the idea of using an Asian gateway is great!

Sweet Willie likes this.
  9. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many starpoints do you have in total? If you have 60k or 70k you could do Starwood Nights & Flights https://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/starpoints/redeem/nights_flights.html - transfer miles to USAir to get 50K USAir miles and get 5 nights at a cat 3 or 4 hotel.

Other option I would do is buy miles with the bonus, as others have suggested.

Shameless plug - you can enter my new give-a-way starting Oct 1st for a chance to win 240k US Air miles (that's enough for 2 round trip biz class tix to SE Asia!) But I'm not awarding them until Oct 28th (and in total I'm giving away 1 million miles!) http://boardingarea.com/blogs/veryg...ear-with-1-million-points-–-get-ready-to-win/

10. spgExplorer

spgExplorer Active Member

Status Points:
    Similar to what others have posted, you can redeem 90k US miles to fly to Hong Hong business class roundtrip. From there, you can use Avios points (Ultimate Rewards transfer partner) to fly to Ha Noi Vietnam for 9,000 points in coach roundtrip (1 hour flight each way). Once you touch ground in South & Central Asia (US Airways chart), you can book a roundtrip via US Airways in Business class for 30,000 miles to anywhere in the same region, which also provides you a stopover in a Star Alliance hub. Add it all up, and for 129,000 miles - you can fly from the US to Asia and visit 5 cities before heading back home, all in business class except for 2 hours of coach. Countries in the South & Central Asia region include: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brunei, Cambodia, Chagos, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka, Thailand, and Vietnam

Mikus33 and Sweet Willie like this.
  11. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    I only have approximately 30,000 SPG points and will not earn a lot more ( I already have the Amex)

I already saw the post on your contest and plan on entering.