Which US airline loses the most checked bags?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, Jul 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    NBC News Overhead Bin: Which US airline loses the most checked bags?

Thankfully, I've had pretty good luck with baggage, with a few delays here and there, but always receiving my stuff. I think the worst of it was in 2007 (GM at the time) when I was booked MCI-DTW-AMS-KWI on NW/KL and, due to weather, was re-rerouted MCI-DTW-JFK-KWI (NW and Kuwait Airways) and then MCI-DTW-FRA-KWI (NW and LH). Needless to say, my baggage, including military weapons, gear, and uniforms, was MIA for several days...definitely worried for a bit since I was on my way to Afghanistan!

Conde Nast Traveller article LINK

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    United is the US leader, I now wonder who is the global leader!:(

rwoman likes this.
  3. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting. I looked into this pretty recently when a certain major airline continued to misplace my bags.

I don't fly Delta often.... but when I do they lose my bag.
    Three times. No joke.

MX, rwoman and uggboy like this.
  4. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is why I never check a bag unless completely unavoidable...and I avoid a LOT of situations others would say are unavoidable. Basically I only check if I have an item that cannot be carried on and must come with me.

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    After my merger day experience with United, I now pack the better clothes in my small carry-on bag and stuff I would like to replace at airline's expense in my checked baggage.

uggboy likes this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    At one time (a few years back) I remember reading that the leader among major world airlines for lost/misrouted luggage was KLM. Don't know what the current stats are, though.

uggboy likes this.
  7. rudreshm

rudreshm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Delta and KLM have never lost my bag but AirFrance does every time.

8. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Threads like this lead to bad karma....be careful!

9. ATCK

ATCK Active Member

Status Points:
    I flew from Seattle to Islamabad via London-Heathrow on British Airways. For some reason, British was allowing no carry-on bags at the time. Everything had to be checked. Knowing BA's propensity for losing luggage, I divided my stuff in half and packed TWO bags. The idea was that if they lost one bag, at least I'd have the other one. WRONG! British Airways managed to lose BOTH bags! Imagine arriving on a business trip in a city where you can't buy off-the-rack clothes, and having no luggage for the first two weeks. All I had was what I was wearing when I landed (after two days enroute).