Which two seats on the same flight

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by MyTravels, May 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have two coach tickets for yourself on the same flight, which two seats do you assign?
    (it's not cost-effective to cancel/rebook the flight)

(a) Aisle & window and hope the middle says empty
    (b) Front & back to make sure the seat in front is not reclined into ones lap
    (c) Aisle & middle “European first class”
    (d) Window & middle “European first class”

Any other creative thoughts are welcome as well

..if one could only trade two Y (coach) for one J (business)..

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    My first question would be, how did you end up with two tickets on the same flight? AA typically does not allow duplicate bookings. Did you pay extra for the seat for space?

3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    You like to gamble ;)? I would not risk this option.

If reclining in your face is the important factor for you, then pick a bulkhead or exit row seat and save yourself money on the second seat.
    These two options is what I would go with. Whether it is (c) or (d) is really if you are a "window" person or an "aisle" person.

4. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    A reservation agent actually suggested this to me on a previous trip that I was booking for two friends. She said many traveling couples reserve aisle & window seats, and if someone is in the middle seat they'll gladly swap out for a window or aisle.

With that being the case (and true to form in my experiences), the only real gamble is if there is a "middle person" will insist on the aisle to switch - which gets you option (c) or (d).

5. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    gamble? I thought (a) was the best..
    with (a) you either end up with the whole section for yourself, or you end up with (c) or (d) when the middle-person realizes there's just you two and move from the middle to the aisle/window seat..

6. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the herd. a) is the obvious choice. If the middle seat goes occupied, you graciously suggest that pax to move to the open aisle or window seat (as you have chosen the seat you most prefer when you boarded) when the boarding door closes.

Seems like a moot fantasy, however. Might as well ask whether the seats forward or aft are better on Virgin Galactic.

P.S. Since this is in the AA forum, there's even a more obvious answer: Since you'll probably be on a Mad Dog, book both seats on the AB side and you're done. :D :D :D

Infinite1K likes this.
  7. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok, I see your point now. And in fact, that technique is what some airlines like UA offer their elites.

However with the planes being so full these days, in practice there is never any empty seats.

8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Book the middle with whatever else you like. When boarding sit in the middle seat to keep the other passenger from encroaching on the empty seat. You can always adjust after the door is closed.

9. ctporter
    Original Member

ctporter Silver Member

Status Points:
    When my dh travels with me we used to book window/aisle hoping the middle would stay open, but with the very full flights so often now we will book aisle aisle, that way we each get at least one side without someone's elbows creeping into our sides.

10. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    +1. There is a specific protocol for plus-sized passengers who need two seats, and another specific protocol for booking a seat for your cello or some other large package. It sounds like you did not follow one of these protocols, and one of your tickets is invalid. If challenged on board, you should not be allowed to retain two seats. You sit in one, and the other one is available for anybody who would like to sit in it. Of course, you might not be challenged, and if you are, sometimes policies don't get followed.

Will you try to board twice so you get twice the miles?

11. FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
    Original Member

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I occasionally fly WN, I like how couples or families quickly seize up aisle/window, because they are actually saving me a seat in the front of the plane. When I hobble in later, after the mass of kettles are on board, I look for the rows up front with these pairs and say, I want to sit in the middle in between the boy and his girlfriend. They almost always offer me whichever seat I want in the row as long as it's not the middle. :D

12. MyTravels
    Original Member

MyTravels Silver Member

Status Points:
    which is why some of us don't fly WN :eek: