Which Starwood hotel in London?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by oneeyejack, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trying to decide where to use a free weekend night.

The Park Lane Hotel - Rooms need some updating, doesn't have availability for the night that I'm looking at.
    Le Méridien Piccadilly - No real downsides.
    Sheraton Park Tower - Read some reviews that they don't give free wifi for Gold and Plat members.
    W London - Seems like it's a little noisy in this area since there's also a club/bar in this hotel

I'm leaning more towards the Sheraton Park Tower. Since it's free I don't mind paying for wifi if I really need it.

Any suggestions?

2. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay at the Park Tower for work most weeks.

It is a good property and there are no problems with getting SPG elite benefits. Free wifi is available (it is a standard code each month, so no issues with them holding it back) as normal. The breakfast benefit for Platinums is the full breakfast buffet including off the menu items.

Rooms are a standard size, with the normal upgrades being to an Exec or occasionally a Panoramic room. Suites are often sold out here due to them having a rather upscale customer base. This means that unlike other properties where the rooms can be hit or miss, the basic standard is spacious and very acceptable.

For me the only decent alternative would be Le Meridien. For a free weekend night, I'd recommend the Park Tower though. It won't necessarily blow you away, but they do everything well and take customer service very seriously here.

oneeyejack likes this.
  3. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, appreciate the rec!

4. h0pper

h0pper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Piccadilly is awesome. I would stay there.

oneeyejack likes this.
  5. Food Wine and Miles

Food Wine and Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm staying at the Piccadilly next week, so unless the weekend you're targeting is this weekend or next weekend, I'll have some recent info to share.

oneeyejack likes this.
  6. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice, won't be there these next two weekends so I'll be waiting. :)

7. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    Le Méridien Piccadilly, if you want an upscale, centrally located hotel with a lounge, or W London, if that's your scene.

The Park Lane Hotel is only good when you need to stay for cheap. It's crumbling, but breakfast is pretty good and upgrades are easy to get. I definitely wouldn't stay there if I could stay for free elsewhere.

8. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just used Points and Cash for A Loft at Excel. Curious if anyone has stayed there. I've never tried and A Loft before.

Tenmoc likes this.
  9. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the LMP over the others (never been in Park Towers). My LMP review is here. The W is nice, I did not encounter a lot of noise in the evening from the club below (It was a weekend) but found the LM more comfortable (esp the club). I love the location of both, but if I had my druthers, again the LMP is a good choice. If you choose them and the Unlock Art program is still in effect, they offer a card good for free entry into the Tate Modern and Tate Britain.

I used to stay at the Park Lane once a year, but the last two stays were very subpar!

10. austin.schlenker

austin.schlenker Active Member

Status Points:
    Remember that SPG is currently offering bonus Starpoints for Europe, Africa, and Middle East stays. Check Starwood Earn Your Dreams Dot Com. I have no posts so I can't post the link itself. Sorry!

11. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you have to register for this one or is it automatic?

Tenmoc likes this.
  12. austin.schlenker

austin.schlenker Active Member

Status Points:
    I was able to access the booking deals using the site Earn Your Dreams Dot Com. It is sometimes featured on the SPG site when I access it but not always. I think the rate needs to be booked using their offer code but you do not need to register for the specific promotion. This is from the terms and conditions but there is a drop down of available countries and properties. "Double Starpoints will be awarded per paid eligible stay on rate code SETPKGBA, triple Starpoints will be awarded per paid eligible stay on rate code SETPKGBB and 3,000 Starpoints will be awarded per paid eligible stay on rate code SETPKGBC and will be awarded for room revenue only."

13. websteth

websteth Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great. I'll have to check what my current reservation is booked under. I need to call and make some changes anyways. Thanks for posting.

Tenmoc likes this.
  14. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points:
    Just stayed at the LM Piccadilly, and got a plat upgrade to a Jr Suite. Full review coming when I get around to it, but suffice to say I thought it was a very nice property in a fairly convenient location.

Here are a couple pics in the meantime:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. gwuinsf

gwuinsf Active Member

Status Points:
    LMP is much more centrally located than Park Tower. For a free night, I'd go with LMP for sure.

16. pureGLAMtv

pureGLAMtv Silver Member

Status Points:
    Would also prefer the LMP as it is better connected then the Sheraton Park and after the renovation it is much nicer. Stayed before and it was o.k. - but the location is perfect. If you are looking for a bit more entertainment I can totally recommend the W-Hotel and rooms to the back or to Chinatown are not so noisy.

Stayed frequently at the W-Hotel Leicester Square and it is my personal favorite. Had a wonderful time during the Olympics - if anyone interested full review also at:

http://www.pureglam.tv/2012/07/31/w-london-leicester-square-london-hotel-experience-and-review/

[​IMG]

As both hotels are so close to each other, but on a great location with all places around you... - just decide for yourself if you prefer the LMP or W-Hotel - they are equal - just your personal needs will decide which is better for you...

IDGflygirl and canucklehead like this.
  17. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having stayed at the W before, I have one, actually, two main issues with it.

1) Noise. It is in a noisy area and a lot of the rooms do get a fair bit of late night noise. If you are a night owl and are planning on being out and about and not in bed by 10:30, then it is fine though.
    2) The room layouts with regards to the bathrooms. The toilet and shower are in individual areas, but the sink area is in the middle of the bedroom. Not a lot of scope for privacy. I know it is the one negative comment the hotel management get the most from guests. It is a bit too far to the side of style over function for me, but I am approaching middle age ;)

Lots of positive comments about the LM since my original response and with good reason. It is a good property and whilst the upgrades are a bit hit and miss, they do their best to upgrade Platinums. On the right day you might get an Executive Suite, on a bad day just a Deluxe Room.

pureGLAMtv likes this.
  18. pureGLAMtv

pureGLAMtv Silver Member

Status Points:

Can agree with you on both aspects - depending on your needs and room you got.

1) Yes - street view or view to Leicester Square and lower floors might be a bit "noisy" ... - if you have the chance for a Spa Suite - they are located inside... so completely no noise... - but agree with your arguments...

2) Yes - had the situation on a booking of 2 rooms - one was with the sink area in the middle and it might be complicated - if you are not travelling with friends or as a couple and were looking for a bit of privacy...

LM sounds in that case much better... -

RAPC likes this.
  19. Food Wine and Miles

Status Points: