Which Star Alliance Program is Best MR Transfer Option?

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by Explore, Oct 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    The choice is Air Canada, ANA, or Singapore, it seems. If I'm looking to redeem for North American awards, with the occasional international premium cabin experience thrown in - at a favorable redemption rate, preferably with minimal surcharges and taxes - which program can folks recommend? Ease of resolving issues by phone or e-mail may also be relevant.

2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not that simple. You have to look at the specific reward you're looking for and then pick out which partner's best for that, because each of them have different mileage charts for different regions.

Also, given that one of them is a North American program, if you're flying on AC, you may get better availability on AC, so even if it's not the best per-point deal, it may be the better deal for availability reasons.

merice107 likes this.
  3. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    The space availability question is an interesting one. Do a program's NON-ELITE members really get better availability for SAVER awards on their home carrier than Star Alliance? I don't think that's true for United flights, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Is it true for any of the other carriers listed?

4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, you're looking at the carrier's own website when you look for United availability on United, aren't you?

5. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    The question is whether the ANA website shows anything different. I don't think it does, but others may be able to speak to this with more authority.