Which SPG in Montreal?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by thegrailer, Dec 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    As per the title. Looking for some inof on which SPG to stay at in YUL.

We have narrowed it down to 3
    Le Westin - has lounge and breakfast
    Le Centre Sheraton - has lounge and breakfast
    W Montreal - great review and great treatment for Plts [no lounge - correct?]. But the ground floor turns into a night club at night. I see what this did to the old Hotel Washington aka the W Washington DC and it has ruined the classic vibe of the hotel [more gang banger-ish now]

thoughts?

Cheers -

2. rrgg
    Original Member

rrgg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only stayed at the Westin a few times, but the rooms are very quiet. I like the location, sort of on the edge of 3 areas: the village, old montreal, and downtown. I can walk around a lot, and the subway is very close. (I haven't been to the Sheraton since it was recently renovated.)

3. Courcoison
    Original Member

Courcoison Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good Day:
    I have only stayed at the Westin and I have found the location excellent next to the Palais des Congres in between downtown and " Le Vieux" both within walking distance.
    Subway is nearly accross the street as it is winter you may want to stay inside.
    The hotel offers clean rooms and good service.

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our last stay at the W was very nice got an upgrade and was very pleased with the service.
    The subway can be acessed by taking the hotel elevator (parking garage??) to the Underground city level so as avoid exposure to the cold Montreal nights..and yes the lobby gets pretty busy at nights but you can avoid the scene if you so desire by using the afformentioned entrance from the Underground mall.

The hotels has a SUV which they use to provide complimentary lifts for guests to their desired locations within the city and I was fortunate to avail myself of that service five times during our four day stay.

5. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The W is very nice and a good location. Never stayed at the Westin. Le Centre is just a HUGE convention / meeting hotel. I feel lost there although i like the location as well.

6. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the W Montreal before. This is really only the kind of place you want to stay at if you're there with your GF or SO. Not with, for instance, your parents or guy friends. It's got a see-through shower facing the room.

That said, it's a great property. I'd totally stay there again.

flyer_o likes this.
  7. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "see through" shower is not at all unique for the W Montreal I can think of at least two or three other W's with similar.

At my last stay at the W fort Lauderdale we up graded to a "Fabulous Suite"?? which had a freestanding bathtub at the front of the living area and near the exterior windows (there was a balcony area oustside) ... it had no showers curtains nor any other, even partially obsuring device:)

8. Theweeklyflyer
    Original Member

Theweeklyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier and flyer_o like this.
  9. Theweeklyflyer
    Original Member

Theweeklyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No lounge. The bar downstairs gets busy around 11:30 PM starting on Wednesday's but is not gang banger-ish. You cannot hear anything from your rooms from the bar.

SC Flier and thegrailer like this.
  10. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not saying that it's unique to the W Montreal, but it is unique out of the 3 Montreal hotels he listed. I think it's an important consideration if you're going to be staying with friends or parents.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using milepoint

11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all.

The complaints I've read was about the noise. I may have to reevaluate. Have you ever been to the W DC? Has anyone been to both? I'd hate to go and find out it's a similar atmosphere.

12. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any newer opinions of SPG properties in Montreal? Was thinking of staying on cash and points at Le Meridien and maybe using a free weekend night from the current newbie offer at the W in May for my birthday weekend.