Which SPG hotel in Zurich?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by brodyf, Jul 31, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be in Zurich for one night in September. I'm considering staying at either the Sheraton Neuss Schloss (the smallest Sheraton so I hear) or the new Sheraton Zurich. Anyone had experience with the either hotel there?

uggboy likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have not stayed at the new Sheraton, but have stayed twice at the Neuss Schloss property and enjoyed its older style as (opposed to what appears to be the modern look of the new property)

The hotel is not real big but its location basically across the street from the lake cant be beat. Pretty much everything you might want to see especially in the Old town is within walking distance not the least including the world famous Kronenhalle Restaurant another plus almost within walking distance from the main train station.

Didn't get much of an upgrade, room was fine here but really didn't spend much time in the hotel, continental breakfast and we were off.:).
    Enjoy Zurich its a lovely city more so with dusting of snow when we last stayed ( mid-March)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    uggboy and brodyf like this.
  3. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at both. The new Sheraton has a lounge which gives you benefits if you have SPG P. It is a bit from downtown but a tram station is right in front of the airport. The S Neues Schloss is right next to the Park Hyatt and depending what direction you walk you will either be at the lake in about 7 minutes or near Bahnhofstr. in about 15 minutes. There is no lounge here. So I guess it depends on rates or how many points you want to use, where you need/want to be. I found the service good at both properties. The Neues Schloss opted out of the ongoing SPG promotion so no double points here.

4. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. Since I do get the SPG PLT benefits, and the new one is closer to the train station I'm going to try it out. It's also about 50 CHF less expensive. I'll report back on the stay.

Thomask likes this.
  5. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might be able to save some $ or CHF if you check the rates frequently. Sometimes the Sheraton Zurich Hotel is in the SPGHotescapes list. In the past I booked refundable and then checked back a couple days before and the rates were way lower.

6. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will do. Thx!

7. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    From this weeks list:

Switzerland (5)
    [​IMG]
    Sheraton Zurich Neues Schloss Hotel
    Zurich, Switzerland
    USD 166
    was USD 208
    SPG Member rate:
    USD 158

3 Days, 11 hrs and 26 mins

[​IMG]
    Four Points By Sheraton Sihlcity - Zurich
    Zurich, Switzerland

USD 153
    was USD 191
    SPG Member rate:
    USD 145

Time Left:

[​IMG]
    Sheraton Zurich Hotel
    Zurich, Switzerland

USD 152
    was USD 192
    SPG Member rate:
    USD 144

Time Left:

[​IMG]
    Sheraton Davos Hotel Waldhuus
    Davos-Platz, Switzerland

4.4 out of 5 - 94% recommend this hotel
    USD 132
    was USD 167
    SPG Member rate:
    USD 125

Time Left:

[​IMG]

emrauld14 likes this.
  8. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be staying at the Davos hotel on the same trip. I'll be sure to report back.

9. Thomask

Thomask Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Davos property, good breakfast and unique suites with lots of wood on 5th floor. Nice for taking walks. Staying at the Hotel you get passes you can use for buses, gondolas etc. Enyoy

10. brodyf

brodyf Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well my plans changed slightly so I only spent one night in ZRH at the Sheraton Zurich. The property is in a uninteresting part of town, but the hotel is very nice. The staff was very welcoming and I was upgraded to a lovely Jr Suite. The hotel is relatively new so the details are all in excellent order.

There is a bar on the ground floor with a nice terrace. The restaurant was closed on Saturday night, but they served dinner in the bar. The breakfast in the club lounge was essentially what you would expect at a Sheraton in the States.

Bottom line - I would stay here again if I was in Zurich on business and didn't care to experience the city's charms. If you're going to Zurich to experience Zurich you may prefer a different property.

11. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Thank you for the review. I'll try out the new property next time.

I've stayed at the Sheraton Neuss Schloss only once. It's a really small property, but I was still upgraded to a very nice suite on the top floor with a huge balcony. The hotel is completely done -- except for the Air Conditioning. The AC did not work at all, only blew hot air. The room had a Dyson fan already in it, but with 90s outside even at night, I got no sleep at all.

Plats get free breakfast in the restaurant and also two drink and appetizer coupons valid in the bar in lieu of the lounge. Nice touch.

It would have been an excellent hotel I would recommend if the AC would have worked.

I send a complaint to the hotel after I've left and the GM was a real ass, not apologetic at all. "seasonably hot, nothing we can do with the weather, here's 2000 points".

So good to have an alternative in Zurich!

Thomask likes this.