Which side of cabin flying into Israel

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Steven Schwartz, Feb 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are fortunate to be flying First Class EWR-LHR-TLV thanks to the BA Visa and the 2-4-1 voucher. I took seats 2E and 2F for all four segments. The I read a bit about the window seats and the unusual windows and figured with four flights, we should try those too, so I changed the LHR-TLV leg to 2A and 3A.

I'm wondering if anyone knows if we might be better sitting on the other side of the plane to arrive in TLV - would the view be better on the left of the right (I'd say port or starboard if I knew the difference!).

Thanks for any tips!

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know about TLV.

But for arrival at LHR, having windows on the starboard side (right hand side of the aircraft as you face the direction of travel) increases the chances of a grand aerial sightseeing tour of central London on final approach to Heathrow. I can't put the probability higher than that, because it depends on there being westerly operations, no cloud cover, and being turned on to finals when still east of the city centre; and the view is better when the runway in use is 27L rather than 27R.

Nevertheless, when it's good, it's spectacularly good.

TuxTraveller likes this.
  3. Mrp Alert

Mrp Alert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always sit on the right side coming into TLV. Most times, I had a longer view (and first) view of the coastline as compared to the left side.

4. garylesindavis

garylesindavis Active Member

Status Points:
    Agreed on approach to LHR left side of the plane is disappointing but when on the right hand side and they fly over London turning right just past the 02 arena and flying over all of the landmarks its spectacular. As for the approach to TLV I like the left hand side this way I see how busy the Ayalon north is and how long it will take me to get to my flat

5. Eorpa
    Original Member

Eorpa Active Member

Status Points:
    You're likely to get targeted by missiles from all sides on approach so I wouldn't really worry about it if I were you. ;)

No but seriously, I fly to TLV a couple of times each year and I like being on the left (A) side.

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    May not have been the best comment today;). My wife is already freaking out about the bombing. Sure we'll be okay by May.

7. Eorpa
    Original Member

Eorpa Active Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, my bad. :(

I remember the first time I visited TLV, I refused to sit outside or go to the beach or even let my partner drive behind a bus. That said, my phobia lasted all of 24hours. Once there you see how everyone goes about daily life and it helps you allay any fears you may have had previously. I love TLV, it's an amazing city with such a buzz. I'm sure you'll both have a great vacation.

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, there was a time I was very involved in a number of Jewish causes and was traveling to Israel every 18 months or so. Still remember being bumped to First Class (long story) on El Al in 1984! Also remember when they started letting you upgrade to Business Class for $200 each way - a steal!

That said, I'm very embarrasses that it has been about 18 years since we have been there. Kids, tuitions, etc. When BA came up with the 2-4-1 on their Visa, it took less than a second to pick Israel as the destination. We're going back with four other couples, two of whom were with us on our first trip. But if there was a spike in terrorism, I'm sure some of them would pull out.