Which side do I sit on to see the islands?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by Scottrick, Jul 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Flying SFO-OGG and back in Feb. I've been to Hawaii several times, but the last was at least 6 years ago. Is anyone familiar with the standard approach into OGG? Which side of the airplane should we sit on to and from OGG to get the best view of the islands? My gf has never been and really likes the window seats. It'd be a pain to spend all that time flying over water and see nothing when you finally get there. (E.g., I know that when going in and out of SFO you should almost always sit on the left, and in to SEA you should usually sit on the right to get a view of the cities.)

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. jw3putt

jw3putt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Left side gives you a bit of a view of the Big Island as you head toward OGG and a view of the North Shore of Maui before you turn south into the Island for a landing with the normal north winds. However the right side give you a view of the volcano, clouds permitting, as you cross Maui. I prefer the left side.

Scottrick likes this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! I should add this kind of stuff to another tab on my growing spreadsheet of flying info.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Standard approach into OGG is to fly in from the north, make a turn (usually over the center of the island- sometimes further out over the bay) and land on runway 2- sometimes under instrument conditions the planes go all the way out to the waypoint over Kaho'olawe (another small island south of Maui) before they turn, but all the procedures are very similar. I've only landed once the other way, during winter storm (Kona) winds, but that is VERY rare.

Sitting on the left gives you a view of the Big Island, Haleakala and the North Shore as you approach the island. Once you turn you will be able to see the West Maui Mountains, and Kahului. Sitting on the right can be interesting too, as you get a view of the airport on downwind and when you turn, however for the first timer I'd recommend the left. Leaving the island I'd recommend the right side because you get to keep on eye on the islands for as long as possible- on the other side you really can't see much after you take off.

mrredskin likes this.
  5. Status Traveller

Status Traveller Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone - we'll be flying into OGG in September so handy to have the info.