Which SFO Hyatt to choose?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Garp74, Nov 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a meeting in San Francisco downtown. From what I can see, there are three Hyatts within 2 miles:

The Grand Hyatt
    Hyatt Regency
    Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf

Any recommendation for one over the others? I stay on the club floor. My priorities are clean, new, and quiet.

Thanks Milepoint!

MX and uggboy like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the wharf location earlier this year and didn't really see any major issues with the property. Parking is outrageous at $50 a day, but that's going to be the same anywhere.

There is no club, but you get full breakfast at Knuckles which is fantastic. There's a pool in the courtyard which is "meh" but at least there is one if that's important to you.

It's not really close to downtown, and if you take the direct approach the hills and the traffic and the stop signs are gonna kill you. I was in town for an event at Moscone, but the other properties were either sold out or too pricey so I stayed there, and the drive itself wasn't bad... you head down to the Embarcadero and make your way around.. it's maybe a 10 minute ride at most even with morning traffic.

I was upgraded to a VIP Suite, which has a very large living room separate from the bedroom, but only has one entrance (in the living room side) and one bathroom (in the bedroom side), so if you have guests they're still using your bathroom :) It wasn't bad at all though, spacious and comfortable, nice blackout shades (albeit manual ones) and a mini fridge.

The area is very touristy but it wasn't terribly noisy while I was there other than one Saturday night IIRC. Uber pickups are quick and there's plenty of restaurants nearby.

MX, traveltoomuch, uggboy and 2 others like this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at the Grand Hyatt earlier this year after a many year hiatus, and it was nicely refurbished. The rooms were on the small side, but they were thoughtfully laid out and had a fantastic look. I am a lowly Plat, so no club access for me, but overall I was impressed with my stay, and would be a repeat customer.

Parking was outrageous - thumbs up to HaveMilesWillTravel above for the garage suggestion!!

theBOAT

MX, Garp74 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unless you expect to have time to play and want that playing to be near Fisherman's Wharf, I'd pick a property closer to your meeting. For as close together as these properties might look on the map, the distances will feel great on foot. The Grand Hyatt is up on a bit of a hill; as I recall there's a good chance of having a nice view. I've never stayed at the Regency on the Embarcadero, but I would be tempted by that location.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You absolutely can't walk downtown from Fisherman's Wharf... I mean, you could, but you wouldn't want to :)

Garp74 likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have done it many times. Not for business, but rather for pleasure :)

That said, if I was in SF for business, I would probably not want to stay at a Fisherman's Wharf property.

Garp74 and viguera like this.
  8. LauraPDX

LauraPDX Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the Wharf earlier this year (Platinum) and it felt like a comfortable mid-level hotel, Not very Hyatt-like really. Only picked it because we were using points and it was available for the weekend we were in town. Totally unforgettable experience, but lots of touristy restaurants nearby and easy to use UBER as mentioned earlier. We walked a lot (think half an hour to the financial district, so longer to your meeting, probably).

Garp74 likes this.
  9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hate the core, but then again I work in Manhattan so I hate all things crowded and noisy :)

I had no issues driving from the Wharf to Moscone during the day and afterwards it was pretty easy to get around and have some tapas or head to Chinatown for some dumplings.

When I was in town a few months earlier I stayed at the IC right next door to Moscone on Howard and it was a pain. There are almost no good food options open late during the week and you end up having to drive everywhere.

And the homeless situation on Market was just crazy.

But to each their own... I certainly didn't mind staying at the Hyatt, but it's definitely not as convenient as staying downtown.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I avoid driving in the city nowadays (if I do, the Sutter/Stockton garage is generally my destination) and take BART or Caltrain and then walk or take Muni.

Market St. (especially near the Tenderloin) isn't fun to walk, that's for sure.

Dinner for me is usually back at home if I am in the city for business or sightseeing. Or Chinatown/North Beach. Most of the restaurants at the Wharf strike me as overpriced tourist traps.

traveltoomuch, IDGflygirl and viguera like this.
  11. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to say thank you to everyone for participating in this thread. Based on the feedback, I've made a reservation at the Grand Hyatt.

There was no feedback on the Hyatt Regency.
    Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf was well-regarded, but was deemed far away from the downtown for meetings.
    The Grand Hyatt was recently refurbished, which is high on my list of priorities.

As someone in town just for the meeting, I'll be sure to taxi it from the airport to the hotel, rather than rent a car.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    theBOAT and vickers like this.