Which SF Hilton for a leisure stay with family

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by mrsmortis, Mar 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at booking a reward stay in SF with my husband and 2 year old daughter for 5 nights in July.

Given that points are no issue (I have about 500k at the moment and that's increasing by thousands every week) where should we stay? We're not going to have a car with us and we're going to be doing most of the standard touristy things.

Can you give me some insight into which hotels are the most friendly for young children, which have the best facilities and where I'm going to get the best perks (I'll be diamond well before we travel).

Thanks,

Roz.

2. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Roz-
    Union Square (sometimes called just the SF Hilton) is probably your best location of the three. You're going to be closest to public transportation and quite a bit of food. There is a Hertz (and Avis?) across the street if you wanted to get a car for the day and go across the bay somewhere, also. Upgrades here aren't particuarly plentiful IME as a Diamond, but, there is a newer tower and an older one, at least see if they'll put you in the new tower.
    The Financial District Hilton is newer and a bit nicer on the upgrades, but it's a hike (uphill coming back) to Market St where public transport is as well as food. It takes a bit longer to get a cab here.
    I haven't ever stayed at Fisherman's Wharf Hilton so I can't comment on it, but, that area is very touristy but somewhat detached from everything else.
    EDIT - no clue why it's deleting all my paragraphs. Sorry for the run together mess.

mrsmortis likes this.
  3. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the input. I lived in SF for 3 years in the 90s so I know the city but I've never needed to use a hotel there so this really helps.

Roz.

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you stay at the SF Hilton just remember to avoid the the seedy area to the west (to the left when exiting the hotel main entrance .. travelling away from the direction of Union Square) .
    Personally I would stay at the Financial District Hilton its closer to the Pier, Chinatown and Market street.

mrsmortis likes this.
  5. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure even the the seedy area can put me off that much. I used to live on 20th at South Van Ness. There were a few areas worse than that in the city but not many.

I miss Wizz Burger though.

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only have experience in the SF Hilton near Union Sq. It was good for what it was. There is an idine indian place across the street that should be avoided. Wasn't very good.

Depending upon how much walking you're willing to do, or bus/bart/etc its a very good location.

mrsmortis likes this.
  7. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup - Indian place across the street sucks. Amber India however ~3-4 blocks away on Market St however is one of my favorite restaurants in SF. I went there nearly every week when I was commuting to SF for a project.

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. Thanks for the tip.