Which Program to Choose SPG or Marriott or Priority CLub

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Aditya Vyas, May 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fellow members. From my understanding using SPG rewards is easy and very flexible to redeem if you can find an SPG hotel.

Whats is your recommendation for 2nd hotel loyalty reward program if I don't have SPG as a choice ?

1) Marriott
    2) Priority Club from Intercontinental?

Also if you can provide your reasoning it would be appreciated.

regards

uggboy, DonV.Smith and SC Flier like this.
  2. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the most part, all the programs are fairly flexible and make it easy to redeem points. The question is really on whether you can redeem them where you want to. I like to redeem my points for more aspirational properties where I normally wouldn't pay to stay at. Thus, I'd pick Marriott because the points can be utilized to stay at Ritz-Carlton properties.

uggboy and DonV.Smith like this.
  3. mrsmortis
    Original Member

mrsmortis Silver Member

Status Points:
    If status is important to you my experience is that it is much easier to get status with Priority Club than with Marriott. In the UK you can redeem more easily with Priority Club too because you only need 10k points for a night at the holiday express.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you sure we can redeem for Ritz? On the mariott rewards website it doesn't say that. Also it seem like ritz has its own rewards program.

How do you like the redemption and availability of Marriott program. Currently I am traveling to South Korea and have choice of either JW Marriott or Intercontinental Coex

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott Rewards Partner Hotel Rewards

6. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Like other members, I welcome you to milepoint.
    Here's another resource for you. milepoint is closely associated with an excellent blog area called BoardingArea.com and there is a blog all about hotel programs. Look at some of the comparisons of these two programs there as well:
    Loyalty Traveler

7. doc
    Original Member

doc Silver Member

Status Points:
    SPG is particularly good, because of the no blackout dates..
    I just wanted to stay an extra day in West Philadelphia last week with the Penn Relays, Mets/Phillies, among other things, going on.. No problem, & I'm no longer Platinum.. just lowly SPG Gold.. Easy booking & UG to SET Ex Club floor.. great service.. late check out..the whole 9 yards.. just a wee bit short of a 1st down? :)
    So think hard about SPG! :)

uggboy likes this.
  8. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience it's good to have a few hotel programs, because each program has different strengths, availabilities, etc. So, I wouldn't choose just one. You might want to concentrate on just one or two, but stay open to more possibilities.

doc, uggboy and DonV.Smith like this.
  9. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    How many nights or stay do you make a year? Do you by any chance live in the US? If I was there I would be all over the SPG branded credit card as it is amazing however the number of locations of SPG hotels compared to that of IHG (Priority club) is a lot more limited.

Priority club`s program is a white wash at the moment with elite benefits a hit and miss but it`s very easy to requalify for top Platinum status which really doesn`t mean much in my experience.

Marriott has a great mid to upper level program which especially shines in its mid level versus Priority Club and SPG mid level Gold but it`s all nightly based making it hard to qualify if you`re a one nighter stayer.

If you`re not after status or don`t stay enough to get it, then the best program depends on whether you are trying to get airline miles or redeem points for hotel stays. Which is your plan of attack?

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marriott has more hotels overall, but SPG has a more interesting collection of aspirational properties: depending on your taste, LC, St Regis and W versus Ritz Carlton which doesn't earn points but does allow redemptions). In addition, the 4 pm guaranteed checkout with few exceptions at SPG is huge for me. I don't know what the data look like, but it seems to me that I'm much more likely to get access to an open lounge with SPG as Plat than at Marriott as Plat.

It all depends on your own travel patterns, goals (free nights, upgrades, etc.?), and preferences.

11. taiwaned
    Original Member

taiwaned Silver Member

Status Points:
    Did I miss your planned travel pattern? Your profile says you are going to South Korea, isn't there more Marriott's in Korea than IC?

My backup hotel chain is Priority Club because we travel within China frequently. Threre seems to be more Holiday Inn's where SPG has no presence.

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    my two questions as well. Personally PriorityClub has come in handy sooo many times in booking last minute awards for myself or family, PriorityClub bookings come in handy when traveling to where a SPG/Marriot/Hilton/Hyatt isn't located, it is an easy program to accumulate many points in, status really doesn't matter with most PriorityClub properties so IMO a very good program to earn points and have as a backup. The 5,000 pointsaver bookings used to be a very nice perk but IHG has limited greatly the length & breadth of properties that participate.
    agreed, great card.

13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi, you may also consider the Hyatt Gold Passport Program:) Have only great experiences with Hyatt so far!:)

Have another question, as a Marriott Rewards member who is interested in earning some points, can we also earn points with this membership at Ritz-Carlton properties worldwide?

Thanks a great answer, highly appreciated fellow MP members!:)

doc and DonV.Smith like this.
  14. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I reread my post. It seems like we are in agreement as I think my post is stating the same thing as you. Did I miss something?

15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    my bad, I misread as if you were stating the opposite, I've corrected my post.

16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding (and I'm not an expert here) is that RC has its own new program, although unless it has changed, one can use MR points to obtain free RC stays but one does not earn MR points for (paid) RC stays.

17. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I were starting all over again, I would probably go with Hyatt, since Diamond is easy to attain and you get the guaranteed upgrades 4X per year. Great mix of properties, as well, although a smaller distribution network. A history of good bonus offers throughout the year. I think either Hyatt or PC should be your back-up. If you are staying at mid-tier hotels more often, I'd go with PC.

SPG is also an excellent program and the lack of blackouts is key. Having William (the lurker, or SPG Champion) here is also huge.

Mike

doc, DonV.Smith, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thought I let you know, MSPeconomist on the following from a fellow MP / and the Marriott website / found out this:

Earn 10 Marriott Rewards points or 2 air miles* per US dollar spent on your room rate at participating Ritz-Carlton locations worldwide – recognized and awarded for being the gold standard of hospitality, and offering the finest in accommodations, dining and service. Excludes The Ritz-Carlton® Destination Club and The Residences® at The Ritz-Carlton. SEE...............http://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn-points/points.mi#subhead-12

It should mean we can earn Marriott Rewards points when staying on paid nights with RC on the room rate only we paid!:)

Note: For regular reservations, points are earned for room rate only. When hosting meetings and events, members can also earn points for rooms, F&B, and other expenses.

19. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No problem. Even I was starting to second guest myself. :)

I hope Aditya Vyas replies sometime soon again as the suspense of Aditya Vyas stay pattern and what the OP wants to achieve if anything elite status is killing me and will help us better understand the OP's needs in order to adequately give a response to the original question.

20. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go for SPG, and then Marriott for the reasons aforementioned. I actually this year have been able to be about 95% exclusive to SPG, which is nice. Shooting for Plat again should be "easy in", hopefully not "tired late, faded down the stretch" lol

doc likes this.
  21. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hello All,

First of all thank you very much for detailed help in this community for this topic. Some clarifications
    I am based in California and travel internationally for work mostly to asia ( So Korea, Singapore etc).I was SPG gold and now basic member with SPG credit card which I love. SPG is my fav program to redeem and earn miles. Only thing I hate is that places I need to travel to SPG hotels are limited and/or not preferred hotel for my company. I have reached Gold membership last year for both Marriott and Priority Club based on my travels. This year it should be similar level of travel 1-2 trips @ 5/6 days each every 60-90 days and can be more based on situation.

My main concern is that now on My recent upcoming trips mariott has become more expensive and not preferable any more hence I am staying in Intercontinental COEX in Seoul Want guidance from people If I should focus on priority club and try to qualify for Ambassador status? In Short I do I make sure I am optimizing my points and maximizing my returns.

Hope there was an iPhone Apps so i could be on this forum more

22. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Also if people can provide feedback what their thoughts are on redemption availability and ease between mariott and priority club it woudl be helpfull.

Thanks uggboy for clarifying about earning points for staying in Ritz even though as a gold member no lounge access.

23. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    you buy Ambassador status (or redeem PC points). http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/pc/1/en/c/2/content/dec/pc/0/en/ambassador.html

Based upon your travel pattern, qualifying for top tier in SPG or Marriott will be difficult if not impossible (I am going off of a 10 day stay every 2 months per your estimate of travel and SPG not being preferred by your corp). Marriott Gold you seem like you could obtain.

I haven't redeemed for Marriott in quite awhile (was Plat for awhile) but I don't recall any difficulties. I rarely have had difficulties with any program's award redemptions as I tend to book far in advance as due to my wife's position, I know when we will be traveling.

24. DonV.Smith
    Original Member

DonV.Smith Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do get lounge access with Gold membership... I'm not sure that detail is clear for the Ritz-Carlton Hotels:
    http://www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits/gold.mi

Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Continental Breakfast

Help yourself to light snacks, beverages and complimentary continental breakfast in our Concierge/Executive Club Lounge at participating Marriott Hotels, JW Marriott Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, and the Autograph Collection. For Marriott Hotels, JW Marriott Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, or an Autograph Collection hotel without a Concierge/Executive Club Lounge, we invite you to enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast on your weekday stays, Monday-Friday. Just show your membership card and room key in the hotel restaurant. We guarantee you will always receive access to either the lounge during normal hours of operation or complimentary breakfast, or we will reimburse you $100 USD at full-service hotels. (Not available at Ritz-Carlton Hotels or resort locations.)
    • I read that to mean you don't get the reimbursement if there isn't a lounge available, but maybe I'm reading it the wrong way...

doc likes this.
  25. Andyandy
    Original Member

Andyandy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget that you can buy Intercontinental Ambassador status for $200.
    http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/en/gb/ambassador/join
    That gets you a certificate good for second night free with a paid weekend stay and 5K points. The status is limited to ICs, but usually gets you a decent upgrade. I'd agree with other posters that Priority Club is pretty weak on status. I've been a platinum for years with not much to show for it. That coupled with the fact that they don't technically honor status on award stays reduces the value of the program.

I've always had good luck with redemptions though. And they are insanely generous with their points.

Andyandy