Which Part(s) of PIT-IAD-LHR-SIN-SFO-PIT Should I Obtain with Miles?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bungalow1225, May 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    Trying to plan a semi-complicated trip for end of July/early August. I am trying to determine how best to leverage miles. Maybe this will be an interesting puzzle for you mileage geniuses.

Overall routing is PIT-IAD-LHR-SIN-SFO-PIT.

The components are that:

1) I'm flying r/t PIT.
    2) I need to spend one overnight near LHR (would like the daytime flight IAD-LHR).
    3) I want to fly the following day via A380 (SQ) LHR-SIN if possible, in business class.
    4) Would be nice for SIN-SFO to be in C too.
    5) I could go SFO-PIT via IAD, if that made it cheaper (e.g., could buy a separate PIT-IAD r/t ticket for first and last legs)

Also:

I am UA 1K.
    I have about 304k award miles.
    I have 4 GPUs.

Would be great to minimize $ cost, but am willing to upgrade by miles alone, or miles + money. But will not pay outright for a C class ticket for any portion. Also, would trade off the A380 trip for a LH or other set of flights from LHR-SIN.

Dates are:
    Jul 30 PIT-IAD-LHR
    Jul 31 LHR-SIN
    Aug 10 or 11 SIN-SFO
    Aug 13 SFO-PIT

I looked at a RTW fare on the *A website (about $5k), as well as award travel from UA's web site.

Thanks!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting the SQ segment in C is likely to be difficult on miles. In theory the whole thing is a 120K C award but crossing both oceans can be a challenge (sometimes the website allows it but agents generally do not) and getting award seats into LHR around the Olympics is going to be a similar challenge.

3. bungalow1225

Status Points:
    Thanks, WA! I actually don't mind paying for the IAD-LHR portion (about $2600 of my fare will be reimbursed by employer and clients - anything above that is out of my pocket). I'm willing to spend money, but if I could keep that $1k to $1500 that would be nice.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd be quite surprised if you manage to get SQ LHR-SIN in C on an award. Are you willing to connect in FRA and pick up FRA-SIN? Or another connection in Europe. If you're willing to play a bit more you might find that segment into SIN in SQ A380 C on an award, but that inventory is not particularly plentiful. Paying cash for the TATL part doesn't help the calculations too much, either.

aptraveler likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect that you won't be reimbursed for more than you actually spend for the ticket and they might somehow pro-rate it since you seem to be combining business travel with an extensive vacation. If they do, the excess will be taxable income.

6. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Regarding the both-oceans thing, you might be able to book this as two one-ways (and thus crossing both oceans without an issue) since your LHR stay is just an overnight.

7. bungalow1225

Status Points:
    Thank you all for further input.

MSPeconomist: I am not worried about the reimbursements; I will be reimbursed UP TO $2,100 by one outfit, upon submitting actual expenses for the international portion; and my employer will cover the domestic portion of the ticket, up to around $500 or so).

Aramean: Yes, I'm willing to fly via FRA to SIN. Just thought the SQ service would be better and the A380 a novelty.

Unavaca: I thought of that last night while tossing and turning. Will investigate the two one-ways today!

Thanks all.