Which OW lounge is the best at each airport?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by kiwi, Feb 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best is subject as we all have different preferences. Some people look for showers, others food & drink, some computers, others peace and quiet. Some lounges have great fringe benefits (outside the norm).

While a lot of travellers have no choice in the lounge available - no access at all or only 1 lounge is available, there are some airports with multiple OW lounges. At those airports, which OW lounge is the best (and why)?

Airports with multiple OW lounges
    North America
    South America
    Europe
    Middle East and Africa
    Asia
    Australasia

Updated to post #0

Mark Allen Jackson likes this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    NB some may not be accessible to all due to being in different terminals (as noted).

Incomplete list (to be populated), with preferred lounge bolded (and link to reason):

North America
    -

3. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    NB some may not be accessible to all due to being in different terminals (as noted).

Incomplete list (to be populated), with preferred lounge bolded (and link to reason):

South America
    -

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Europe
    -

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Middle East and Africa
    -

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Asia
    -

7. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:

Australasia
    -

8. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    kiwi, assume this will be consolidated into a wiki once that goes out of beta.
    Need to differentiate between First and Business.
    Have had a go at HKG - is this what you meant.

Australasia
    Don't think there are any - all QF now I believe.

Asia
    HKG - All lounges accessible to all passengers
    - CX The Wing First, CX The Pier First, QF First - Wing the winner due to openness and cabanas. Food selection in CX lounges better than QF.
    - CX The Wing, CX The Cabin, CX The Pier, QF Business, CX/KA G16, - Wing the winner due to openness and long bar. Noodle bar is good. Drink selection in QF slightly better, and new CX Cabin healthy options may appeal to soe

9. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are now working on the lounge guide wiki, with a basic directory as the first step:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/wiki/oneworld-lounge-guide/

If you are interested in contributing (this involves building up a comprehensive lounge directory per country using Excel), send me a conversation and I can provide more details.

10. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only two I can think of off the top of my head are the Cathay lounge in Melbourne and the Reef lounge in Cairns...

kiwi likes this.
  11. westernways

westernways Active Member

Status Points:
    CX Business in HKIA 'The Wing' is probably a better choice than QF J Lounge, but both are good lounges. CX Lounge much much bigger than Qantas lounge.

SYD, MEL, PER & OOL all dominated by QF Lounges, which are all of a pretty good standard. Most of the QF Lounges are pretty much the same, with same kind of food & drink selection, which is good because at least you know what to expect.

12. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Could this thread be updated to be a OW worldwide lounge compendium to cover all OW airports, in addition to the plusses/minuses that this thread emphasizes? It would take a lot of input from all of us and a heck of a lot of updating. Thinking big here...

*No objections here about the current thread. This will be very helpful towards narrowing down travelers' options at most gateways.

13. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Learned something new about MP today...there's a Wiki that looks like it'll actually contain useful info! Thanks for the link, moa.

15. infoworks
    Original Member

infoworks Silver Member

Status Points:
    SYD and MEL QF F lounges are about the best in Oz, but service and amenities can be patchy. In HKG The Wing lounge is great, but lately been going from gate 4 and close by, so the Pier it is. Wasn't so impressed with the Cabin, which is a J only lounge as I understand it.

thewinchester likes this.
  16. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm at the SYD QF F lounge tonight - been here a bunch of times over the years - and again reminded why this is my favorite lounge in the ow system. Hkg f lounges (I forget which name) and Concorde rooms are very nice, but this one has just the right balance of formality, comfort and service for me.

My Wagyu beef was just delivered, excuse me now...

thewinchester, ChicagoEric and Tenmoc like this.
  17. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can't go past the QF F at SYD and MEL - these lounges are the creme de la creme IMHO, and that's even after visiting three of the four CX lounges at HKG (was flying regional J not F, couldn't do the fourth).

And yes, the wagyu beef is divine. Here's a picture of it for those who've not had the pleasure of this dish:

[​IMG]
    Braised wagyu with figs and creamy mashed potato by thewinchester, on Flickr

Having said that, the INT J downstairs at SYD gives most a run for their money. Spacious and comfortable, you can enjoy freshly baked pastries, barrista & roaving waiter service, a brilliant view of the terminal operating area, and all the usual amenities available in a QF lounge.

But... the one thing that keeps me coming back to that lounge (being a SFSC who doesn't fly F or have status to get in that lounge), is the pancake machine.

I know, it sounds a simple pleasure - but being able to get freshly made and very tasty pancakes at 6am in a lounge, without someone looking over your shoulder for large doses of maple syrup (the real stuff, not the maple like fake stuff) and butter, is a pleasure worth indulging. Downed with a freshly brewed hot beverage overlooking the tarmac, this by far is a simple pleasure you must enjoy.

[​IMG]
    Did someone say pancakes? by thewinchester, on Flickr

18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    For a brief period, I was double sapphire, and hadn't reached EXP, and was flying in j on QF and went to the j lounge at SYD. You are right, this j lounge is a very nice ow j lounge. I was, perhaps too spoiled, let down knowing how much of a better lounge was right above me!

I have had perhaps two less then stellar experiences at the SYD f lounge. Both involved late in the day visits ... Mainly for the late CX flight up to HKG. Both times, I found the lounge staff to be a little less polished than they normally are. My experience forms too little of a sample to say definitively that the lounge is lesser at night (I could also be more cranky after a long day), but I am 2 for 2 partially negative on evening visits....versus perhaps 18 for 18 positive on the day visits!

The spa is also closed by the time pax for the late CX flight would be arriving.