Which OneWorld Program is the easiest to reach the highest status?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by lightwarrior, Sep 10, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. lightwarrior

lightwarrior Active Member

Status Points:
    Which OneWorld Program is the easiest to reach the highest status?

fawwi likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    This is hardly a straightforward question to answer. There are a lot of variables that go into determining "easy". How often do you fly? Where are you based? Do you buy first class, business class, or economy class tickets? Who pays for your travel/how flexible are you on the decision making process of who you fly? Are you a leisure traveler or a business traveler?

Once we get a better picture of who you are, why you fly, and where you fly from, we can narrow down some options for you.

Welcome to MP btw. :)

3. compson

compson New Member

Status Points:
    I would also like to know this. I've started a new job that is going to require me to travel significantly, so I suppose it's time to take advantage of some of this stuff.

I'm going (mostly) from New York to eastern Europe, maybe every 6 weeks. Will probably be in economy class (which is why it would be nice to have status). Will have complete flexibility over scheduling. I guess I'm a business traveller now. Hah!

Thanks for any input!

4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why? What do you want out of status? Op ups are rare, so lounge access should be your primary goal. If that's the case you'll want something higher than Ruby.

The fastest status is likely AA via Platinum challenge. That's 10000 EQP, which at discount economy is .5 points/base mile.

Assuming you're headed to Prague, that's 4677 points per round trip via Madrid and just over 4100 via LHR, so you'd need two of these plus a domestic "filler" to hit 10k, or you'd need to upfield one to a fare class that gets 1 point/mile. There are some fare sales at the moment that might even make purchased A/F worthwhile at 1.5 points/mile, completing the challenge in one trip.

The nice thing is that challenges used to be AA only but now include IB and BA flights as well, opening up more options.

Lastly? If your company has a travel group, ask them if they can comp AA status, even if it's only Gold. Many can and everything helps.

gamecock likes this.
  5. gamecock

gamecock Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree with Mike Reed.
    When I first earned status back in 08 AA made it painless.

Another option is Agean. 19K miles will get you Star Gold status. Not sure how useful that would be on TATLs, since there are no upgrades are included.

6. oneluckybastard

oneluckybastard Active Member

Status Points:
    OT: the advantage of Aegean is that Star Gold lasts for up to 3 years (end of calendar year + 2 years)

7. andrewhyde

andrewhyde Active Member

Status Points:
    I did what Mike suggested with the AA via Platinum challenge.