Which new hotel program to add?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Roaddoggin, Dec 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've got diamond status with Hilton and platinum with Marriott. I'm looking at adding a new top tier hotel program to my portfolio in 2013. I sleep in hotels for around 200 nights a year, not counting vacation, so I figure this would be pretty easy if I start doing some hotel-hopping and qualifying on stays where available.

I could look at the various websites and compare the advertised features, but I'm looking to the community for any real experiences or unpublished benefits that might sway me toward one program or another.

What's your experience with program other than Hilton or Marriott?

Sweet Willie and perryplatypus like this.
  2. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    Status match with other programs is a wonderful thing.

edekba likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    While Priority club plat has been hit or miss, they are changing the qualification process for next year. The questions is are the benefits being improved due to this. Keep an eye on the program and see what transpires.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. perryplatypus

perryplatypus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the SPG program because of the flexibility of the points and cash options and also transferring them to various airline programs can yield you a 25% bonus. I also like the benefits that come from Platinium status and the variety of properties that they offer that I can stay at. But for me I then to use the C&P option the most as they get me great rooms at cheap prices and award stays count to requlification too.

traveltoomuch and edekba like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would go with priority club and start out with the Chase card to get platinum and then move toward the ambassador club membership if you stay at higher end properties. IHG may not be the best but they have some great hotels and have a ton of locations.

uggboy likes this.
  6. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are in a position to stay at an Intercontinental hotel, the ambassador program might be a good idea.
    Information here: http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/intercontinental/hotels/gb/en/ambassador

uggboy and daninstl like this.
  7. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are Hilton &/or Marriott not meeting your needs or are you just curious if grass is greener on the other side?

Out of ~200 nights, are your stays focused in a particular city/area?

8. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm happy with Hilton and Marriott. If I can get the same status in another program, that would open more options for getting the best service in situations where I can't stay in a Hilton or Marriott. That might mean that there is no Hilton or Marriott where I'm going, or I can't justify the expense where maybe the only availability is a presidential suite at a five-star property.

I generally find myself in the following cities one or more times per year...
    Minneapolis, Cupertino, Amsterdam, Chicago, DC, Dallas, Austin, San Francisco, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Dubai and/or Abu Dhabi, Tel Aviv, as well as major cities in Germany, Italy, France, and the UK.

uggboy and perryplatypus like this.
  9. Jett Rink
    Original Member

Jett Rink Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread has wandered way past my bedtime. ;)

10. Roaddoggin

Roaddoggin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that a hint that went over my head? :)

11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    With Hilton/Marriott I believe you have pretty darn good coverage everywhere you go.

If you add IHG/PC then I think you'll be good worldwide.
    SPG/Hyatt have less of a footprint but imo have better properties.

12. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would go with SPG as the additional partner for the quality of their properties.

uggboy likes this.
  13. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like perryplatypus's answer: SPG has some great hotels, cash & points is a real win, and award nights count for status. No experience as a top-tier elite there. I've had Hyatt Diamond this year (thank you SMD3), and I've enjoyed it very much, but I find their bedding a little sub-par (W Hotels, Westin, and Marriott beat them -- the good part of Hyatt is that they have the same bedding in the lower-end Hyatt House and Hyatt Place properties, too).

uggboy likes this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, SPG is the way to go. Great properties, good services, excellent rooms, locations and C/P redemption possibilities. IHG on the other hand has a huge foot print, but their benefits even as PLT are minimal and don't really compete with let's say SPG PLT. IHG also has changes coming up regarding how PLT is earned with them, stay tuned on this too.

15. maltapoints

maltapoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a big fan of SPG too, for the reasons explained at length above...

uggboy likes this.
  16. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like SPG also but they are weak in locations compared to Marriott, hilton or IHG.

uggboy likes this.