Which miles should I save?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Eric, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Eric
    Original Member

Eric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a couple trips coming up and I would like to use miles for one of them to cut down on cost. I have just shy of 90,000 DL miles and about 85,000 AA miles. Both accounts have more miles pending so they will both grow. One of the two I want to save and use on a miles upgrade to business class TATL in October.

In your past experiance is it easier on DL or AA to buy a ticket and then upgrade using miles? Whichever airline is the consensus for being easier to do this I will use the other airlines miles for the two r/t domestic tickets I need. Thank you for your advice.

2. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its easier to us AA to upgrade (but then again trying to find 2 r/t for 90000 miles on Delta may be difficult). You should see what the fares and mileage requirements for both before making a decision.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AAdvantage miles are definitely easier to use for TATL upgrades as they can work from any fare - albeit with a co-pay - while the DL miles require purchasing higher fare classes for the upgrades. That's a rather significant limitation IMO.

The other thing to consider is which carrier actually flies their own metal where you want to go on the international trip. Upgrading on partner metal is even harder in many cases so if you're looking at partner flights then the situation can change dramatically.

magic111 likes this.