Which miles credit cards to recommend to my parents?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by michael21, Mar 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey guys I'm trying to get my parents into the mix so what cards do you suggest and how many should I start them off with. I just got my mom the united card and SPG and my dad the ink bold and SPG. How many is cool if no refinance is planned any time soon and which cards do you suggest if travel is the goal?

Thanks!

2. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any input?

3. wrxmom

wrxmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where do they want to travel? Once you determine that, figure out what airlines fly to that/those destinations and then work on maximizing miles/points towards those alliances.

4. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They love Europe. Especially if they can fly business class.

5. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would probably get them a Citi HHonors card.

mailbroad likes this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Figure they need about 100,000 miles (more or less) each for one Business Class ticket. I would say they each should have Chase Sapphire and Ink - that's 100,000 miles each on either BA or United (or Delta/Korean but good luck!). If you are willing to pay the fees for greater availability, you can also get the BA Visa - that also comes with 50,000 miles on BA but you will have to space your applications out. Good luck.

7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    i would have them keep checking their credit score. Also - vary the issuing bank of the credit cards. I would add the chase sapphire preferred for no international fees. Where are you based? If you're in the North East USA - BA Avios may make sense to London. Otherwise, I would credit SPG points to AA and get the AA Mastercard and Amex to top those balances off. If you're quick, there is a transfer promo from SPG to US Airways that is quite attractive. 50% bonus posted in 5-8 weeks, in addition to the usual 20k starpoints to 25k us airways points transfer bonus in 20k increments. The Barclays US credit card can top off those US balances.

8. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I wouldn't recommend that they have any more than three total credit cards in wallet apiece. It looks like you've done well getting them started. Not sure of the age of your parents and what type of activity they are looking for in transactions, but I have noticed over time that many in the 50+ age group who are not going to spend time truly managing their advantages/disadvantages of cards over the long term seem to be quite happy with the CapOne Venture Card. I think part of it is that in general they see enough advertising from the card that it comes along as a great deal to them. Anyway, congrats on trying to help the parents -- mine always had the credit union credit card with literally no benefits at all.

9. Extra Pack of Peanuts

Extra Pack of Peanuts Silver Member

Status Points:
    If they are looking to go to Europe, then I'd definitely recommend having them look at the Citi/AAdvantage cards. Each person can get both a Visa and a Amex as long as they apply for them on the same day, which would net them 100k each. If they could meet the minimum spend ($10,000 a person over 12 months), then they could both get the cards and be sitting pretty with 200k AA miles total. Only word of warning is that alot of the availability over to Europe with OneWorld (which AA is a part of) is on British Airways, and so they'd get hit with fuel surcharges (which aren't worth paying in my opinion). Better that they look to fly to Spain and fly on Iberia, which won't charge them fuel surcharges!

Also, since they both already have United miles (your mom with the United card, your dad with the Ink Bold) you could have them both grab the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which will give them 40k additional United miles (transferred from Chase) and also a card with no foreign transaction fee. Flying United you won't have to worry which airline you fly, since you won't pay fuel surcharges no matter what.