Which mileage program is the worst?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by LXofSweden, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LXofSweden
    Original Member

LXofSweden Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

All programs have their pros and cons, obviously, but we all have our subjective opinions as well. Which mileage program do you think is the worst and why?

For readers to get an overall idea to compare with, please post which programs you are/was a member of, too!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Astana Nomad Club. Sure, they have the super-exclusive Assassin level for invite-only top-tier elites but their partner network is pretty poor and if you do not have Assassin status the lines are miserable.

3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Excellent candidate. The live candidate for me is Yemeniya, sadly an airline I know well.
    http://iye.frequentflyer.aero/

4. homeyfour
    Original Member

homeyfour Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well based on domestic US service, I'd call it Delta Skymiles personally based on my experience. There seems to be rampant elite inflation, as well as ridiculously high award schedules for redeeming miles.

PAinNY, mcruiser and Wurm like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was a joke, but sure.
    But great upgrade availability most of the time, right?

That's the thing about these "best/worst" ratings is that they're based on your personal preferences. If you care about upgrades from cheap domestic tickets then DL is better than CO for you. If you care about a simple award chart and good partner availability then those would likely be reversed.

Unless someone is assembling a large matrix of relative values across several categories all these lists are going to be of questionable value.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the the point that I finally gave up trying to find a usable award and cashed my pesos in for hotel nights.

7. LXofSweden
    Original Member

LXofSweden Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are absolutely correct. It's the exact same thing with everything else too, such as airlines - I dislike SAS, others love it. I'm OK with China Eastern, others can't stand it.

I think I pointed out in my original post that we all have our subjective opinions, and it is the personal experiences and opinions I wanted to hear out. I am not out to create a matrix. :)

PAinNY and jbcarioca like this.
  8. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nowadays, you could make a decent argument for Southwest.

Way too much math for what is offered. Hard to game the system. Still very hard (but no longer impossible) to redeem for premium classes or flights outside the 48 states. Basically just a glorified rebate program.

9. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone feel that Finnair Plus is less than it could be?

Gnopps and jbcarioca like this.
  10. SAS has in my opinion done very little to Eurobonus the last 10 years....at least not to the better.
    Still it might be better then Finnair Plus....?

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. Does anyone have an opinion about Jet Blue Amex points program?

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. NYC_Gal
    Original Member

NYC_Gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    JetBlue would be my pick. They expire. And even if you redeem, it's just Y seats. And they don't fly to too many locations.

13. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I knew it was. Yemeiya is too, but it really has a ff program and exists today.

14. free101girl
    Original Member

free101girl Silver Member

Status Points:
    There's a reason Delta miles are nicknamed "SkyPesos." They really are worthless and I was happy to finally get rid of the last of mine (on a 40,000 mile award for a domestic flight, as it's virtually impossible to get a 25,000 mile award). I am done with Delta.

PAinNY likes this.
  15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depends on what you want from your points. The AmEx card itself is just OK in terms of earning. And their program overall doesn't have a lot of ways to game it. But it does have a few perks that are pretty nice if you're flying them frequently. And now that the points don't expire so long as you have activity via flights or AmEx it really isn't so horrible. That the points are a reasonably fixed redemption value is good and bad, depending on when the redemption happens and what you can find for fares that day.
    Well they did kill the YQ surcharges on their award redemptions. That was a nice change they made recently. Of course, they also added them in not too much prior to that so perhaps we shouldn't reward them for just undoing what was an unfortunate travesty to begin with.
    Fair enough.
    Air Astana is real, too, and the program is the Nomad Club. That said, I only know of two people with the coveted (and wholly imaginary) Assassin status. :D

16. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My nominees would be Free Spirit -- their award chart isn't actually that terrible but, ya know, when you redeem an award with them you're actually gonna be flying.. Spirit.

Along the same lines there's Greyhound Road Rewards....

PAinNY likes this.
  17. Force
    Original Member

Force Active Member

Status Points:
    Delta skymiles among US based airlines. I cash them out via gift cards to get close to 1 cent per mile.

18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    And I'm second to none in my complaints about the Delta program. I'm the one who originally dubbed it Skypesos -- but I redeem the miles for business class on V Australia LAX-BNE (reasonably good availability) and for Air France business class (also reasonable availability, check out IAD-CDG beginning mid-June when the flight goes A380...). Far better than gift cards.

PAinNY likes this.
  19. Force
    Original Member

Force Active Member

Status Points:
    That's great to know. At what mileage level though? 50K, 100K or 162.5K each way?

20. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta international awards are nearly impossible to get. Best I've recently been offered in business is 200,000. When Delta first added JNB, I snagged two standard business awards, but nothing since then.

21. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    150k for roundtrip business to Australia, 100k roundtrip business to Europe.

Of course my big beef is they don't offer first class redemptions... :)

22. I like continental rewards program

PAinNY and Kalboz like this.
  23. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You DL Chaps/Gals need to come over to the alliance......I can't believe the DL redemption tables. My BMI program gets me very easy redemption to europe in biz for 75k roundtrip, or a cash/miles combo. Come friends, come to the light......The miles in fact are "GREENER" on the other side.

PAinNY likes this.
  24. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Capital One

25. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about the claim by chase and the seth-o-saurus card? Is it all its cracked up to be? Sounds fishy as far as earnings and redemptions go. They definitely prey on the uneducated traveler. I love how the say they got to travel over christmas for only "X" points. Too bad people dont realize travel on thanksgiving day and xmas day are among the cheapest days to travel. Sounds like a bit of manipulative marketing. I'd like to see their redemption ability 1-3 days before these holidays.

PAinNY and Kalboz like this.