Which lounges in ORD, LAX, HKG?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jason, Apr 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    As new Ex Plat members, my wife and I are looking forward to our first international trip since qualifying. We'll be traveling CX in J to Bangkok through Hong Kong. We were looking forward to checking out the CX lounges, but wondered if there were any other ones we should make sure to visit.

It was due to milepoint that we knew to check out the "pancake machine" in the SEA boardroom and the cool draft beer device in the NRT AA lounge.

Do you have any favorites in ORD, LAX or HKG (we'll also be in BKK). Thanks!

2. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two choices in ORD - the small but "free booze/food" option at the Flagship Lounge at the very end of K terminal, or the large Admirals Club between H/K terminals. Or check them both out!

Jason likes this.
  3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Are you flying CX the whole way? ORD-HKG-BKK? If so, the lounge options mentioned above aren't available. CX departs from T5 and uses the Swiss and SAS lounges in ORD. If you're connecting in ORD from somewhere else to link up with CX then you can use those lounges though.

Keep in mind some of the lounges in HKG are being remodeled, so some options might be closed depending on when you're transiting. HKG has quite a few options though, so you'll be able to enjoy a lounge somewhere.

Jason likes this.
  4. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're flying AA to ORD and back from LAX the way back. We have about 3 to 4 hours between each leg, so we should get plenty of lounge time! Have you experienced all the ORD lounges mentioned? How does the flagship or admiral's club compare to Swiss or SAS? We'll also be in ORD for memorial day, so maybe we should try the admiral's club that trip (since it's the only one we'll have access to, right?), and try the flagship, Swiss or SAS lounge during the international trip in July.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I have not experienced the Swiss or SAS lounge in T5 at ORD, so I can't give any advice on that. I'm sure there are reports of the quality online if you use Google though. I'm flying CX to HKG from ORD in October, so maybe you can let me know what you think. :)

You should have access to the Admiral's Club at H/K in ORD T3 or if you wanted to try it out, the Admirals Club in Concourse G where the American Eagle flights depart from. I prefer the staff in the G Admirals Club, but the H/K is bigger and has better views. The FL lounge is crowded but nice. It would be my choice unless the Swiss or SAS offerings are nicer.

6. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't visited the T5 Swiss lounge myself. The FL at ORD is quite small and unremarkable, but as I said they have decent finger-food selections (depending on time of day: sandwiches, fruit, shrimp, soup, veggies & dip) and a decent 'help-yourself' alcohol selection. The H/K Admirals Club is quite large, comfortable, is up on the 3rd floor so nice view out onto the ramp/tarmac. I also like the LAX AC, especially since they seem to have conquered the fruit fly infestation, though I've found it gets quite crowded. The FL at LAX (entered from within the AC) is quite nice and good for people watching - not unusual to bump into Hollywood types there.

7. neuatomic
    Original Member

neuatomic Silver Member

Status Points:
    Funny - I have the opposite opinion of the G terminal Admirals Club. I much prefer the larger H/K lounge.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It really depends on what I want that day. The staff working the G club have always impressed me with their friendliness and proactive nature. They remember me when I walk in, they remind me where my gate is, they check to see if I can expect a delay on my flight, even if it's only 10 minutes. H/K has great space and good views, but too many people to offer that level of personalized attention.

9. Jason
    Original Member

Jason Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll definitely let you know what I find. I'll probably try to experience at least one of the Admiral's Clubs over Memorial Day and then both the FL and Swiss/SAS, depending which is more convenient or sounds nicer. I'll try to take a few quick pics too.

10. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    CX in HKG has some of the best lounges in the OW system (Sakura lounge in NRT would be more competitive if it weren't overcrowded)
    I can't speak for ORD but SFO has the best departure lounge and YYZ has the worst.
    I have flown YVR, YYZ, SFO, LAX, JFK-HKG on CX.

11. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned above, CX has no lounge in ORD, they use Swiss and SAS lounges.

Do you like the new SFO lounge? I've seen mostly negative reviews and people implying they preferred the old BA arrangement.

12. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better than using the PP lounge in YVR and the AC/FL in SFO.
    I actually don't mind it but I almost always stay sober pre departure because of the better alcohol in F/J.
    In Y I drink in the lounge.
    It's not bad and I think that it has more room and space.

13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The novelty of the noodle bar always gets me. :D

14. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, the lounges in T-5 at ORD just aren't "all that." In fact, IMHO, there's not a whole lot airside at T-5.
    If you're flying into ORD on AA before going onward, I might suggest more of your lounge time at AA's Flagship (for food) and/or the H/K A/C for a shower before your long-haul.
    LAX? The Flagship Lounge, for sure. They have these quirky pre-pasted toothbrushes available....
    HKG? Depending on the contruction schedule, and what's open & when, CX's The Pier and The Wing are, as posted, among the best in the OW system.

15. thebone

thebone Member

Status Points:
    Forget about the AC, it is the worst of any lounge I've experienced, foreign or domestic. There are coffee and small muffins and that's it. Everything else you pay for. Skip it and head over to the Flagship Lounge. AA should be embarrassed to offer such shoddy amenities.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's a huge stretch. I've been in quite a few lounges that were worse. The AC isn't winning any awards and can certainly upgrade its offering, but it's not the bottom totem pole.

17. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not true. Beer, wine and well drinks are free.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

18. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Don't forget chex mix and the doughnuts at DCA... ;)