Which London Hilton Property for 4 Night stay with Wife

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Sean Colahan, Nov 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am taking my lovely wife to England in February as a Christmas/Birthday present and we are planning on staying in London for 4 nights on HHonors points. Since all the downtown London properties are all Cat 7 hotels, I am putting feelers out there for what people think of the different properties and if they can recommend one over the other. Currently thinking Trafalgar Hotel, the Waldorf, Hilton Park Lane, or Hilton Green Park (though I am open to other suggestions). We are going to be doing mostly tourist activities though do not shy away from public transit (we actually LIKE public transit) and I lived in London for a semester in college so I know my way around the city really well. Thanks for the help:)

uggboy, rwoman and 8MiHi like this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd go with the Waldorf - right near Covent Garden and central to everything via foot, bus or Tube, as well as the Thames and many other sites!! :) That said, any of the properties make for easy access to things to do in London.

uggboy, 8MiHi and TRAVELSIG like this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Trafalgar is another one to consider.

Kalboz, uggboy, rwoman and 1 other person like this.
  4. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    All four properties are excellent. While it has been several years since I have stayed in the Park Lane, it never struck me as a romantic place to spend time.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed.

Kalboz, uggboy and 8MiHi like this.
  6. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    In fact I would say the Park Lane is least romantic of all those mentioned.
    Its shame that London lacks a good Hilton Flagship property.

uggboy, Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Hilton properties I have stayed in there, and I think the Park Lane was considered their flagship, but there is no real iconic Hilton in London.

uggboy, Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  8. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I really liked the Green Park. It's about 2 minutes from the Tube and major bus stop.
    It's an old Hotel, but they refurbished last year so the rooms are nice. Some rooms are really, really small. If you have the opportunity, I'd reserve an larger room there.

8MiHi, uggboy, Kalboz and 1 other person like this.
  9. giocatoredoro

giocatoredoro Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd choose the Trafalgar, hands down. It's a modern hotel, you don't feel like you are in a Hilton, (feels like a aloft/andaz/W). Right in the middle of the city. My 2c.

10. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Waldorf was just refurbished this summer in London and great location

11. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Park Lane is very good as a business hotel particularly if you want to be in that area of the city and don't want to spend for the Four Seasons, the Dorchester, the IC, or the MET. It is NOT a romantic hotel (although Trader Vics in the basement is always good for a laugh on a rainy day in London).

I think Trafalgar or Waldorf are both good ideas.

The iconic property in London which used to be a Hilton is now the Langham.

uggboy, 8MiHi and Kalboz like this.
  12. nime01
    Original Member

nime01 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since you have no problems using public transport in London, it really doesn't matter where you're staying as long as you are reasonably close to a bus stop or a tube station. I don't think there are too many "romantic" Hilton hotels in London. If you are HH Gold, you may or may not get access to an exec lounge depending on whether you get an upgrade or not, but I wouldn't count on it at The Waldorf. The Trafalgar ang Hilton Green Park does not have an exec lounge. Park Lane does, but I'm not sure if they upgrade Golds to exec rooms.

The most important benefit as I see it is the free breakfast and internet access, both can be very expensive in London. So if you don't particularly care about the possibility of having access to a lounge, it comes down to if you want to be within walking distance of [insert own choice here] and if it's easy to get to/from LHR. You should also consider the DoubleTree properties, i.e. Regent St and Marble Arch.

I've only stayed in Park Lane and The Trafalgar, and I like both of them.

uggboy and 8MiHi like this.
  13. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say it would be more for the hotel itself. Yes, with this trip "romantic" would trump. Lounge access isn't a deal breaker (Like my Hilton Gold for free internet/breakfast).

I think I have it narrowed down to the Waldorf and the Trafalgar.

nime01, uggboy, 8MiHi and 1 other person like this.
  14. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    I weighh in for the Trafalgar. The location of Green Park is not nearly as convenient and, honestly, not as nice of a property although I have stayed there many times due to good rates. Was just at Trafalgar a few weeks ago. Nice property.

nime01, 8MiHi and TRAVELSIG like this.
  15. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had great success staying at the Metropole hotel. It's not very centrally located, but it is right next to two tube stops that allow access to a majority of the city easily. I've also chosen it since it's usually cheaper than others more centrally located, but it's still a Cat 7 property, so that doesn't apply here.

8MiHi likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had much success with the Metropole as well- particularly when finding sub 150 GBP rates. The Metropole is not a romantic property however nor is it in the best tourism area of London in comparison to alternatives for at least point retention. If you need to work in the area agreed it is a good value and close to transport hubs.

8MiHi likes this.
  17. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Metropole is usually one of the cheaper options with Hilton in the London area. If I were to rank the four Hilton options that are typically on the "cheap" side in London, it would be as follows:

Green Park
    Islington
    Metropole
    Olympia

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paddington can also be very inexpensive from time to time- and like the Metropole depending on where you are heading may be convenient (the two hotels are quite close to each other).

Sean Colahan likes this.
  19. roadweary

roadweary Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely recommend the Waldorf. Went there with my wife and two daughters and it was excellent. Classic hotel with updated modern rooms. Great location in easy walking distance to Covent Garden (CG) and the CG tube station. I recommend that you contact the manager directly, especially if you are a Diamond member. We used HH points for two rooms so I requested adjoining rooms and a possible upgrade. He made sure one of the rooms was a suite and we were treated very well. Have fun!

Sean Colahan and TRAVELSIG like this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the Metropole, Hyde Park and Kensington Hiltons recently. I had very good experiences with all three. While I have not stayed in either the Trafalgar or WA, they really appear to be good fits for you two. They are within easy walking distance of the major attractions of the area, so shows and museums are right outside your door. I highly recommend seeing anything at the Globe theater, it is awesome.

21. funtrainsf

funtrainsf Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been to London several times (heck, actually liked there). As far as Hilton's go, I've only stayed at the Metropole (first time since focusing on Hilton brand). It was OK. On future stays I just plan to find out which one provides the best Elite service. Location never concerns me in London as long as there is a tube station nearby. The tube makes it easy to get anywhere in the city in a matter of minutes. So best Hilton is all I need (where I get a great room, great view, lounge access, etc).

Just remembered, I used points to stay at the Courthouse Doubletree Regent Street. The redemption was surprisingly low. As far as location, that is my favorite for being right in the shopping district. It is almost RIGHT on Regent Street near Oxford Circus. Hello spending!

8MiHi likes this.
  22. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Trafalgar is excellent for being in the heart of the theatre district and walking to shopping on Jermyn Street and Mayfair, and it is Hilton's only unbranded hotel in the world with a minimalist yet modern decor. There is no Executive lounge, but you receive a full breakfast in the hotel's restaurant, room upgrade, and internet access with Gold & Diamond status. The Trafalgar used to be a building that was owned by the White Star Line, and the first cable about the Titanic striking an iceberg was received here. You can pretty much walk to most places staying at the Trafalgar or are only one or two stops away from sites on the tube.

If Executive lounge access is a priority, then opt for the Hilton Park Lane which receives good reviews as well and is located close to the Dorchester and borders Mayfair and Hyde Park. The Waldorf is located near Covent Garden, but I do not get the impression it is like mainline US Waldorfs. Check out the reviews on tripadvisor. I would recommend the Trafalgar first for location(the National Gallery & National Portrait Gallery are right outside the hotel) and then the Park Lane second if desiring an Executive Lounge.

Tenmoc, 8MiHi and TRAVELSIG like this.
  23. jparker

jparker Silver Member

Status Points:
    No executive lounge in Green Park or Islington, either.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct- although I would much prefer to stay in Islington than on Park Lane if visiting London for a romantic trip.

8MiHi likes this.
  25. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just want to say thank you for all your input and opinions. I decided to go ahead and book a 4 night award stay at the Waldorf for 42,500 points a night. I can't wait to take my sweetheart there:)

8MiHi likes this.