Which London Club Carlson property to stay and why?

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by brucewil, Feb 19, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    We Will have two nights stopover in London in May on return from two weeks in Italy. My wife and I have never been to London. We have a Club Carlson credit card, so a two night stay will only cost one night's worth of points. Looking for recommendations as to which of the Club Carlson properties to stay and why we should chose them. (Proximity to attractions, great upgrades for Gold members, etc) Any help will be appreciated.

We were thinking the May Fair or the Mercer street properties, but suggestions welcome.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone?

3. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am heading to London in May also and although I can not give first hand experience, from reading all the reviews I could find I decided to stay at both properties. We are staying our first 2 nights at the May Fair and the next 2 at Mercer Street.

4. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. Keep me posted. Anyone else?

5. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never stayed here, but I hear the Mayfair is amazing.

6. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would vote for the Park Plaza on the River for the views and the spacious room itself, and its proximity to the London Eye and Westminster Abbey. (Stumbled upon this fine property during the Olympics when the rates dropped about 2/3rds a few days after the opening ceremony. I would recommend it on points and its adjoining sister property on cash. Wi-fi can be hit or miss). The Mayfair has more tradition and local character and would be my 2nd choice of the London Club Carlson properties. It has a Cigar Bar that is worth visiting even if you don't smoke cigars. ("I don't always smoke cigars, but when I do, I don't mind a smoky Martini with Lagavulin 16 and a Montecristo #2." The Cubans here are marked up about 100% from retail but the whisky is more like 400%). The London Mayfair's Cigar Bar and the Paris Le Doykan's Champagne Bar are both really under-appreciated in the travel community amid all the discussion about missing coffee pots, stale croissants and small bathrooms. Such places are what travel is all about.

curiousgeorge, uggboy and brucewil like this.
  7. The Travel Cat
    Original Member

The Travel Cat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at a few Club Carlson properties in London. So here's my two cents.

The Radisson Blu Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel – the room was a bit small, the location was ok (near the British Museum & a 5 minute walk to the tube), immediate area was a bit quiet at night, but it's not too far of a walk from Soho (clubs, bars & music). Also no gold elite recognition or upgrade was given. I hear if you want to stay in this area the Bloomsbury around the corner may be a better option.

Radisson Blu Edwardian Leicester Square Hotel and Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel – both located in Leicester Square, a good central area (near the National Gallery & Trafalgar Square) and about a 5 minute walk from 3 tube stations (and the Piccadilly line that takes you directly to LHR airport). The Leicester Square hotel is on the side street so it's a bit quieter, whereas the Hampshire has good views of Leicester Square (if you get a room facing that way). Lot's of action usually going on in this area and it's a short walk to Soho, Piccadilly, Oxford Circus, the theater district, etc. Got upgraded at both hotels, room size was good, and received a welcome fruit plate and sparkling water at both hotels. If I had to choose one to stay at again, I'd probably pick the Leicester one.

Plaza on the River – large rooms with full kitchens, located on the south side of the Thames about ½ mile from the nearest tube station, but there is bus that stops right outside the hotel. It's about 15 to 20 minute walk to Westminster Bridge and the London Eye. I don't recall if there was a welcome gift, but an upgrade to a 1 bedroom was received. It was a nice change of pace being on this side of the river, but then I've been to London few times.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions just let me know.

Oh, I would advise if you're considering the Plaza on the River or The Mayfair that you book now (before March 15, 2014) because both those properties will be rising to the new category 7 and will cost 75,000 points a night.