Which LHR property: Sheraton Skyline or Heathrow

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Canadi>n, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been decades (literally) since I've stayed at either of these properties out at LHR so I am sure they've both been through at least one if not two upgrades/renovations. Heathrow used to have an iffy rep and the preferable property was the Skyline. Any reviews of either or both? I have an overnight at the end of May so would like to book one or the other. Both now seen to have Club lounges so not sure other than price, what the differences might be.

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I often stay at either the night before a flight, or sometimes on a day rate after a long haul. (or sometimes both--an overnight at one and a day rate at the other if I'm seriously craving stay credits :) ).

Skyline is "nicer", and has an indoor swimming pool, with some indoor palm-tree landscaping around it, with a pool-side bar, which can be a nice diversion for children (the pool, not the bar).

The king rooms at the Skyeline are, IMHO, a bit larger than those of the Heathrow.

Fitness Centres at both are similarly equipped. The Skyline has a SLIGHTLY bigger selection of machines and weights, yet the Heathrow's is brigher with windows all around looking out onto a garden area.

Yes, both have lounges w/ hot/full breakfast & hot evening appetizers. Not sure how to phrase this, but I find the Heathrow's selections are bit more hearty/more filling, w/ the Skyline's with a bit more variety, but that's being REALLY nitty, and I certainly wouldn't pay significantly more for one or the other just on that. Example, the breakfast buffet at both features plenty of cereals, cold veg & chese, yogurts. Heathrow's breakfast, ALWAYS plenty of eggs, sausage, bacon, beans ready/ skyeline might only have eggs, maybe bacon as well, but they'll have a great selection of breafkast breads/bagels/muffins. Both will usually give you vouchers for breakfast buffet on the in their respective restaurants on the weekends, and both buffets have quite a good variety of hot & cold offerings. Heathrow's is right off the lobby, literally across from the reception/check-out desk. So, if your'e the kind of person who likes to leave your room, grab breakfast just before or after check-out on your way out, Heathrow's a plus. Skyeline's is at the "back corner" of the hotel (hotel is a quadrangle around the pool area, with the lobby in one corner of it, restaurant in the oppostie corner), and on the weekend, if you're a eat/check-out-go person, you'll do a lap around the hotel to get to the restaurant or to the lobby.

Do you like to print off your boarding pass at night, on the club lounge computers, the night before, and having a mid-night snack option helps? Heathrow's is open 24/7, and they leave the frig. full of sodas & juice, tea & coffee, and a couple of jars of cookies & pretzels & fruit (usually apples, oranges, bananas) on the counter for snacking outside of those times. The lounge at Skyeline is a bit more classy, and a lot more spacious, but closes at 10 or 10:30pm, so no free midnight snacking there.

Both are easily accessible to the airport via FREE public busses, w/ Skyline's stops at either Harlington Corner or the Marriot (depending on direction) and Heathrow's at either Pinglestone Close or Duke Street (depending on direction). I think Heathrow is a bit closer to terminal 5, whilst Skyeline is a bit closer to terminals 1 & 3. Terminal 3 is where the central bus station & underground station are, in case that's how your'e getting to/from the airport. Heathrow Express stops at both T-3 and T-5. If you're coming from T-3 or the tube station there, and you have lots of luggage in tow, the Pinglestone bus stop is farther away from the Heathrow than then Harlington Corner stop is from the Skyeline, so Skyline might an option to avoid luggage shleppipng. BUT, if your'e coming from or going to T-5, the Heathrow hotel is closer.

Prices vary for both. If you just want a good place to crash before your flight the next day, i'd go with whichever is cheapest. Full stop. If both are priced similarly for the night of your stay, I'd go with the Skyline. The Skyeline is occasionally more expensive than the Heathrow, sometimes not much more expensive, sometimes ridiculously more expensive, and you have to think thru what that differnce is in your currency if that difference is worth it. If the Skyline was only £5-£10 gbp more, I might do it, but then again, if I'm coming from, say, the US, depending on exchange rates, that's $15-20 more USD and I might not think it worth that.

jbcarioca and unclepants like this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    skye1 gives a good description of the Skyline (haven't been to the other but have heard that it's not as nice. One thing about Skyline is that it's close to the Pheasant, a very friendly pub with decent food.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, now you've plucked a resonant chord! Having introduced me to the In'N'Out Burger, I trust your recommendation implicitly. I think there's just a £10 rate difference between the two on the day I need a room, though given the description of the lounge offering at the Heathrow... Guess I'll just flip a coin! (But many thanks for your comprehensive assessment, Skye1.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    It really is a flip of a coin. Really I prefer the Skyline for it's newer larger rooms and it's somewhat easier access to the free bus. Mostly I will go with whatever is cheaper. I have an upcoming stay at the Sheraton Heathrow and at Sheraton Skyline on the way back. For stays before early flights I prefer to stay around Paddington but again, where I end up staying depends on cost (and where I need stay credits)

Jeff

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have used the Skyline when I have been flying from T3. I like it fine for an airport hotel. The pool is nice and the breakfast is typical English hotel breakfast. Short walk to the free busses.

7. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will actually be making this decision for this Wednesday night, before a flgiht to L.A. on Thursday.

Can't say I've EVER heard an English pub compared to In & Out Burgers...yet strangely, the Pheasant & the LAX In & Out are both easily accessible by free transpo from their airports....

And that's where the current 1-1:6 exchange rate can make a difference---here in the UK, would I pay £10 quid more for the Skyeline? Possibly. If i was living in the US, would I pay $16 for it? Probably not.

Who knows, I may actually be enjoying a pint at the Pheasant wed. eve and In & Out Burgers (LAX/Sepulveda) Thursday afternoon!