Which Langkawi Starwood hotel?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by VeryGoodPoints, Aug 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've read the master thread on the Andaman (http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...ndaman-langkawi-malaysia-master-thread.19463/) but wondering if anyone has thoughts on the Westin, Sheraton or Four Points in Langkawi.

I will be there in December and the Westin has rooms from 12k points/night no C&P, the 4Points has rooms from 3k points/night or 1,600 points and $30/night, the Sheraton has rooms from 7k points/night no C&P, and the Andaman has rooms from 12k points/night or 4,800 points & $90/night.

Can't decide and would love some thoughts on which hotel is best value.

uggboy likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    "best value" is relative, it really depends on what you want. They are very different properties with VERY different surroundings and atmosphere.

uggboy likes this.
  3. tahsir21

tahsir21 Z Representative

Status Points:
    VeryGoodPoints and uggboy like this.
  4. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    Thanks Tahsir21. I'll check it out now

uggboy likes this.
  5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Personally heading all the way to Malaysia I would look at all of the hotels that are in my range and not just choose the least expensive or best value, look at total trip cost and at the margin the better SPG property isn't going to be that much more than the lesser ones.

I'll be in Langkawi in November and am planning to stay at the Andaman. It's going to be a bit more low key and not as dramatic as the Westin, but the Westin strikes me as a hotel that could just as easily be in Thailand or elsewhere in South Asia. While the Andaman strikes me as rather unique though somewhat dated.

Had outstanding experience at the Le Meridien Chiang Rai when Anne Scott was GM there. She moved to the Andaman and at the time actually told me not to come yet, to wait until they had completed some of their capital projects, and she assures me now that (though they aren't done with everything she has planned) it'll be enjoyable.

There aren't many suites at the Andaman, a Platinum should assume a view but not suite there...

desamo, VeryGoodPoints and uggboy like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    There isn't much of a view from most of the rooms, even the ones facing the ocean, except for trees unless you are on the highest floor since the hotel is in the middle of a rain forest - but the trees are pretty;)

VeryGoodPoints likes this.
  7. tahsir21

Status Points:
    The problem you face with staying at the Andaman is that you its actually kind of far from everything. I remember it took a lot to get back and forth from the main area of the city. This is important because recently, the prices for taxis have gone up alot. we're looking at like $16-$20 R/t in Langkawi from cenang beach to your hotels..more like $20-$25 from the Andaman. Other than that, yes the Andaman is nice..but when you get to it, it just doesn't feel like what it is in the pictures.

estnet likes this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree....

9. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    Is it actually $16-20 USD?

10. tahsir21

Status Points:
    It is. They keep changing the cab fares all the time. it used to be really cheap, but you'll see that going from even the sheraton to the main areas is about $10 one way. My recommendation and this is what we did when we went is to book a cab for the day. They charge about $50-60 and you can go from one side tot he other all day so you can possibly do Cenang Beach for Lunch, then head over to the cable cars on the other side. We calculated it out and it was a lot cheaper. Also make sure you check out the Kilim Geoforest tour. It is seriously amazing. I'll try to link my facebook Album of Langkawi here.

11. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    Thanks!!