Which is the best hotel program to maximize benefits in combo with Aeroplan

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by slalom, Oct 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the past 6 months or so I've been frequenting Starwood properties and I'm currently Platinum in the SPG program. I also have Diamond status in HHonors with Hilton.

Recently, I broke my string of Starwood stays and spent 4 nights at a Hilton. When I checked my HHonors account, I noticed that, not only did I get a lot of HHonors points (I know 1HHonors doesn't equal 1SPG), but I also got over 1,000 Aeroplan bonus miles which also contribute to my dDistinction level.

It got me to thinking that I've been missing a lot of Aeroplan points by staying at Starwood, and I'd be better off with Hilton properties where I have a choice. Starwood seems to only really work for Delta FFs (though I seem to remember a few years ago SPG also had a link to Aeroplan). It seems by not being a Delta flyer, I am leaving a lot of points on the table.

I thought I'd check in here to see what hotel programs people think offer the best overall value in combination with Aeroplan.

2. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use HHonors but personally I get enough AP points from flying, so I leave the HH points in HH. And I actually credit my car rentals to HH as well ...

The Winger likes this.
  3. The Winger
    Original Member

The Winger Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what I do also.

4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will drop back to HH Gold for next year, though: the new higher threshold is too much for me, since Hilton is not practical for my Japan trips. Oh well, it's not really a huge difference in benefits anyway.

5. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I'm on track to hit SE, I guess I've been churning through miles and don't have a lot banked. When I looked at the Hilton "Points & Points" versus "Points and Variable Miles" I thought the latter looked pretty good. Much better that SPG's Points if you are a Delta FF, miles, if not then nothing.

6. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    YULtide likes this.
  7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you're mostly staying at Hilton, Doubletree and HGI, variable miles work out pretty well, yes. At the lower-cost brands it's less attractive.