Which is better from Munich to Chicago, United or Lufthansa?

Discussion in 'SeatExpert' started by @SeatExpert, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. @SeatExpert

@SeatExpert News Feed

Status Points:
    Assuming you are traveling in economy class, I think the Lufthansa A340 that serves this route holds a a slight advantage over the UA 777, for the following reasons:
    Advantage to Lufthansa
    1. The Lufthansa A340 coach cabin is configured in 2-4-2, with pairs of seats along the side. Most passengers prefer these pairs along the fuselage, since there is no middle seat.
    2. There should be an AVOD IFE (Audio Video On Demand In-Flight Entertainment) system installed at every seat on Lufthansa.
    3. Lufthansa might still serve free alcoholic drinks on trans-atlantic flights, though I am not absolutely sure about this so please check with LH to confirm.
    4. Lufthansa allows two piece of free checked luggage, up to 50 pounds.
    Advantage to United
    1. United’s Mileage Plus frequent flyer program is better than Lufthansa’s Miles and More program, especially if you have status.
    2. United has no enforced weight limit for cabin luggage, while Lufthansa often enforces an 18 pound limit, even for first or business class passengers.
    3. United offers an economy plus section, where seats have about 3-5 additional inches of legroom. There is an additional charge for this section, but if the plane is full and UA has no other seats in standard economy class, you could get to enjoy this section for free.
    4. We feel that the service on United is overall slightly better than on Lufthansa. Keep in mind that each flight and each flight attendant is different from one day to the next; either airline could be very bad, but we have had proportionally more good flights on UA than on Lufthansa
    If you are flying a round trip, perhaps you can try each airline in one direction. Lufthansa and United have marketing agreements for trans-atlantic flights, so you should be able to buy a ticket for mixed flights from both airlines.

Continue reading...

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  2. lhrsfo
    Original Member

lhrsfo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you have status with United, the equation is very different. Economy Plus gives you more legroom and makes for a much more comfortable ride and is free for those with status. Personally, even if I did not have status, I would pay the extra $100 for it as it makes such a difference for a long flight.

Most UA 777s are still in the old configuration, 2-5-2 so you benefit from twin seats by the window, as with LH. However, they are very slowly reconfiguring them to 3-3-3. The newly configured planes have full AVOD, rather than simply seat back video as in the old configuration, but I find the seats less comfortable. I prefer the food on LH.

3. the_happiness_store
    Original Member

the_happiness_store Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH coach is a pathetic product. People rave about LH first but forget about 90% of the passengers. It is the worst TATL coach product that I have ever flown.

TAHKUCT, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  4. My opinion, if there is no need to fly Lufthansa, DON'T fly Lufthansa. LH Economy is horrible (except for the free booze...). I like United and even if you have to pay for Economy Plus, well worth it!

5. I would plump for LH any time. I am afraid that the service on United is about the worsted of all the airlines I have travelled. The staff are surly and at times down right rude. The meals are rubbish and always leave me feeling hungry. I complained when I found out I had to pay for alcoholic drinks recently. The comment was "well all airlines do that" Sorry they dont, try flying Virgin, Singapore, BA, Thai, Lufthansa..... Only American airlines are cheapskates.

rwoman, jbcarioca and Augner like this.
  6. How about business class? Munich/Frankfurt to Chicago? I did a lot of reading and concluded LH was better. I could be wrong. Any pointers?

7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe I have ever heard a positve comment about LH economy.
    I have heard soem good things about their premium products, but have always been told to avoid Y.

8. Mountain Trader
    Original Member

Mountain Trader Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I just couldn't disagree more. LH vs. UA international isn't even a fair fight in Y. LH has personal IFE units with choices of 20 or so movies, around 50 music choices. The food is not great but better than UA, the wine is free and usually drinkable. And while staff attitudes and service vary case-by-case, my experience has led me to expect and receive more from LH.

9. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. LH F is very good, as are the wines. LH C I am less fond of but still bother are better than UA/CO. I have never been on LH long-haul economy so cannot comment on it.

rwoman likes this.